Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Home Decorating & Repair > Decorating - Living Room/Den

Old 10-21-2011, 02:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thumbs up Decorating with Pillows

When I was redecorating my living room I was on a real tight budget. I wanted things to look bright and different, but cheaply done as possible. First I bought some new green sheets to cover my sofa. I made white curtains from some I got at Goodwill for $2. But I needed somehing to spark up the room and get noticed by my family and friends. As I was surfing the web I found a website filled with cushions. Some were 16" & some were 19" square. Some were fabric and some were knitted. But the colors and the way they were made with a envelope style opening I found so interesting. It gave me ideas on what my living room needed. Even though this company is in the United Kingdom, I visited the site often and was happy to read that they are very enivironmental in the ways they do business. If only more people around the world would take on recycling and such, how cleaner we all would be. Now that I mentioned the pretty pillow cushion site I guess I should share it with you. It is www.ethicalsoul.com
I even like the name its so natural sounding.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I had two sofa pillows that were getting boring, and they were pretty large, I think around 18" square. I got some fabric at WM before they stopped having a fabric counter at the WM here, and it was just $1.00 a metre, which is 39". It is a nice green & white pattern, mostly leaves. I discovered after I purchased it, that it was material that you could cover cushions for outdoors, so it is good & sturdy. I bought quite a bit of it, and covered the two cushions, and also I have a bench with a back on it in the foyer, and I covered a bench seat cover for it, and I think they look pretty okay.

Last edited by missibob; 10-21-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-22-2011, 02:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks missibob for your comment. I do some sewing myself, but at other times I buy items that are a bit difficult to put together. I like sewing lap robes and aprons best.
Sounds like your a very good at sewing.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi sandy, oh not I am definitely not a great sewer. I choose things that are really easy. I think those pillow covers you can make like an envelope, where you fold the fabric in three and slip the pillow inside like an envelope is great.
Good you you to do the aprons, I should do one, you have just reminded me. My dil really likes them, and I didn't know what I was going to give her for Christmas this year, but you have solved that for me. Thank you.

Cheers,
Old 10-23-2011, 11:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks. You might want to consider making it with a different fabric on each side with padding in-between. I use mattress pads (brand new of course), for lining and use strips of thin quilt battening in the straps to give them some support. Then tie it with colored thread, tacking here and there, around the apron so that when washed it stays together well.

Tags
cushions, decorating, fabric, pillows