Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-11-2002, 02:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Ocean/Lighthouse theme

Hi! I've been working on an ocean/lighthouse/etc. theme for my living room...anyone have any unique thoughts? I'd love to hear them.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:57 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

A friend of mine has a lighthouse theme in her kitchen. Since the place is on the small side, she could really get adventurous with the decorating without it getting too overwhelming (sp?). Basically, she started with a lighthouse wallpaper border and then painted the walls a blueish/greyish color from the scene on the paper. Then, freehand, she painted on some wispy, ocean clouds.

What a fun theme! Good luck!
Old 07-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wait....
I had that backwards.... She painted THEN she wallpapered!
Whoops!
Old 07-11-2002, 04:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Painting the walls and ceiling in hues of blue are a great start. Paint the woodwork and floors a tanish color. That is the start of the sand, ocean and skies.

You can draw a freehand lighthouse using chalk on a wall in a corner then paint over the lines and then paint in the details.

Why not use some netting on a wall with ocean related pictures on it.

You can even make the area near a doorway to look like a deck/pier.

Place some shells as accents. Use shells in jars, use a shell as a dish for potpourri or candy.

If you have the room, use some benches along a wall for seating like in a real lighthouse.

Buy sconces that look industrial... these are usually on walls of a lighthouse.

Purchase some lighthouse figures and place them around the room.

If you really want to go crazy, get a planter, fill it with sand and put some shells and maybe even a plant in it. Why not get one of those mini waterfalls for the sounds of water.

I hope this was a good start. I sat here, read your request and these ideas just flowed into my mind. I will research this theme to see what more I can come up with.

Old 07-13-2002, 05:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi. If you could find one, it would be interesting to hang up an anchor. It would be an interesting mirror, if you could get a porthole or a round life preserver and back it with a mirror. How about using shells, (found or bought at the craft store) glueing them on a wastebasket, frames, on glass candle holders. Use sea galss in it's wonderful colors in candle arrangements, setting in bowls, maybe with an ocean or sea sented oil on them. Touches of wicker, some nice sea bird decoys are another way to go. Have fun this sounds like a great project, good luck
Old 07-13-2002, 06:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

HeatherLee,
Hi just read your post adn thought I'd throw out a few ideas.
How about using some rope in the room? Like around the edges of the wallpaper border. (This would have to be kid of thin rope.) Or around the edges of your lampshades?

How about some net floats or trap markers that are mad to float on top of the water? (probably find some on ebay)

How about a shadow box frame filled with different sailors knots? You could even label them.

We were just in North Carolina and in the gift shops in one of the lighthouses they had actual prisms from the lighthouse lens. They would look really cool with a votive candle lit behind them. (I think this was a Cape Hatteras lighthouse.)

How about a planter filled with tall grass? You could cover the soil with small gravel and sprinkle in some shells.

If you're really adventurous (sp?) I saw a book by Christopher Lowell in our local library. In it he decorated a bedroom to look like the shoreline. It was complete with sand and water painted on the floor. On the walls he had painted a ocean side mural. It was very realistic.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle lighthouse

Hey
I recently saw on tv(Room by Room) a lighthouse theme they actually made a lighthouse entertainment center and put in in the corner (which hid the tv) it was cool Check your tv listing for the channel in your area its Hgtv station they have a web you can check the programs on it and get ideas on how it was done the site: http://www.roombyroom.com/HGTV/show
then go into Fantasy cabinets under search and then you can see the black and white picture of it the show title was Nautical sunporch...hope this helps you
Old 07-13-2002, 03:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

lighthouse

Hey
It the site does not work just try hgtv.com and see listing for the show Room by Room

Last edited by secamom; 07-13-2002 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I saw that episode and the cabinet was really cool!
Old 07-13-2002, 07:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I recently re-did my bathroom in a lighthouse theme. Walmart has some terrific material with lighthouses on it for curtains, and it was cheap..... which makes me happy . And if you have a Big Lots store (also known as McFrougals) near you. They had some very cute framed photos of different lighthouses. I also found some lighthouse stuff at a store called the Dollar Tree. They had decorator plates which I hung on a plate hanger in my den area....they had the 2 my mom & dad visited when I was a child.....so that's why I had to hang those in there..... Oh! Walmart has some really cool throw pillows large ones are $10.00 and small ones are around $8.00 with lighthouses on them. Good luck and let me know how it turns out......Rocki