Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-13-2002, 08:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I like this post becuase we are working on the lighthouse theme for our kitchen/dining room area. So far we have painted the wall grey with black trim. We are getting a lighthouse border to go along the top of the wall. We found some blankets that had lighthouse scenes on them that I made into curtains for our patio doors. The curtain rods will be a black wrought iron and we have found some real nice lighthouse and shore pics. I have gotten other ideas from these posts thank you
Donna
Old 07-17-2002, 04:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ideas...

colors from the ocean.... sand, white, blues.

For a modern touch you could use stainless steel/aluminum accents, buckets, storage containers made from aluminum can be found at Ikea for low prices. The containers with covers make good looking storage and are low enough to be stored under a coffee table.

Consider chunky wood pieces for shelving, candle holders. The inspiration? driftwood.
A chalkboard notice board, rimmed in natural wood. Whitewashed wood. Lime wax finish that allows the wood grain to show through is ideal.

Muted greens for a warmer look mix well with the sea blues and white and evoke the seaweed and greens from the ocean. Wheat grass when planted in fun containers (like children's sand buckets) has the look of sand grass on a wind swept dune.

The other idea is to use beach towels as an inspiration. Bold colored pillows in bright stripes. Big square floor pillows. Bright red and white can give an old fashioned feel to the room. Take a look at Pottery Barn this season for inspiration that leans that way. They've taken bold colors added a fun summer retro twist, that with a few kitschy tiki accents...could be a fun bright beach room.

Let us know what you end up with!
Old 07-17-2002, 05:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

I recently did my bathroom in a lighthouse theme also. As Rocki had said Walmart had great ideas in lighthouse themes. I also have a Dollar Tree by me and they had so many lighthouse things for a dollar everything from nightlights, to thermometers, candles, wall hangings and just nick nack lighthouse things. Also, Kohls has a great selection of Lighthouse pillows, throwrugs, candles, and a lot of framed pictures as well as picture frames. Look at Lowes for lighthouse borders and even sponges in the shape of anchors, shells etc. that you can add to your walls with a contrasting color of paint. Ever since I did my bathroom, I seem to see lighthouses everywhere. Have fun.

Annmt1
Old 07-18-2002, 02:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I must say that there are some great ideas here. I hope they are useful to you HeatherLee.

Old 07-18-2002, 01:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My mother has a nautical theme throughout her house. Her living room coffee table is actually an old lobster trap with a piece of glass on the top. We also added a cute stuffed TY lobster inside, just to be fun.

Have fun!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Another idea that ties in with the lighthouse/nautical theme is to take 3 round landscape logs (about 5" in diameter) (you can get these from your home center). Cut them to about 24", 18" & 15", then last them together (top & bottom) to make a small accent table for a corner or nook. (they look like dock pilings).

I've got one bathroom in a nautical style, with small brass ships' wheel, brass bell, antiqued map and some old lanterns; the other bath is done in an "under the sea" theme: sponge painted with a mural on all walls. See:
http://homepage.mac.com/valeriecudnik/bathroom.html

Valerie
Old 07-18-2002, 08:46 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Valerie!

Wow, the mural in your bathroom is fantastic! Did you hand paint the mural? I'd love to do something similar in my son's bathroom, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Monica
Old 07-18-2002, 09:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks! Most of it is hand-painted, but there are some "cleverly placed" decopauged pieces as well (which wasn't such a hot idea in a bathroom).

I love to paint on walls! (I make banners, too.) It is, after all, only paint and can be covered. Since I'm no good at freehanding stuff (the greenery I can do) I trace stuff on with dressmaker's tracing paper. Designs can come from just about anywhere: online, coloring books, magazines, etc. I generally trace whatever I want in plain black marker, then blow up the traced image (I use a scanner, but a photocopy enlargement would work perfect too). If the pieces are too big for one sheet, I just tape them together as it's just a pattern.

Depending on what you're painting, it can be as easy as paint-by-number. I've done lots of cartoon characters (I have two boys). Those are the easiest as there's no really blending of colors. Just trace your design on, use plain acrylic paints (craft store bottles on sale!). For cartoons I like to let it dry and outline the images with a super-large black sharpie marker to give them nice crisp edges (adds to the cartoonie feel). The fish in my bathroom were a bit more work, but it is a fantasy scene, so... Just have fun!

Valerie
Old 07-19-2002, 09:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

In a gift catalog, I saw some shells strung on some sort of screen and then draped across the top of curtains (like you do the flower and greenery garlands). It looked pretty.
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 07-19-2002, 09:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

sorry, not screen, but string.
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity