Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Home Decorating & Repair > Decorating - Living Room/Den

Old 12-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Replace or Reupholster?

Has anyone here had a piece of furniture reupholstered?

We are thinking about reupholstering the sofa in our family room. It is a well-made sofa, almost 7 years old, but the fabric is really worn. In other respects it is in good shape.

I will never buy a sofa upholstered in CORDUROY again! It did NOT wear well. I think this time I want denim.

I am wondering about the cost of reupholstering this sofa vs. replacing it with a new one. My neighbor has been shopping for furniture lately and said that a good sturdy sofa is about $1200 to $1500 in our part of the country.

We tried using a slipcover but it kept SLIPPING and then it would rip. So I'm not sure that is a viable option.

Any advice would be most welcome.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Barbszy, we went with new as the cushions were shot and the padding had too much spilled on it. The new furniture is corduroy! I try to put something on the arms so it wears better or at least more evenly than the rest of the furniture.

I think that price range is about right unless you shop a sale...if what you have you like the lines of and the wood is good, you might consider reupholster, or even a custom made slip cover, they fit better than the tuck in things...I remember you said you don't sew alot so it is something I think you could get some quotes on.

There are reupholstery books out there but i haven't tried it yet, would like to someday though.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Barb we have the same problem . We have a great lazy boy chair and sofa and it was covered in type of cord material. It finally let go and is splitting. For now I have cotton throws tucked in the seat of both as the arms and backs are fine. We checked into recovering and were told about 1000 dollars or more depending on the fabric. If we did on our own less but with the pullouts it is way beyond my capabilities. We are going to wait anouther year and keep an eye on sales to see if we can get a good deal like we did on this set. this set will go to the basement with slip covers till the kids leave.

Good luck

hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 12-31-2007, 07:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
When we moved in here, we bought a new couch and loveseat that is denim with 2 matching ottomans. I love it! People thought that I was crazy for wanting denim but it wears great and spills can be easily cleaned from it. The things I don't like are that the back of the couch is 3 seperate pillows. The 2 end pillows are worn from us sitting on each side of the couch, while the middle cushion is still fluffy. Also, making the switch from a reclining couch to ottomans was a hard switch.

You're pretty close on the pricing, too, for what we paid for our set. I would suggest that if it's a couch that you like and it's in good shape, go for the reupholstering if you think that the couch will last for a while. If not, I would go for a new set.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I called a local upholstery shop today and someone is coming out next week to inspect the sofa and show me fabrics. I'm excited about this possibility.

I explained the problems we had with the fabric on the sofa, and that it is a Flexsteel sofa. She said the frames of those sofas last forever, which I was glad to hear. She will bring 3 types of fabric: some denim, some chennille, and another kind that I already forgot the name of

DH will be glad if we wind up keeping the sofa because it is very comfortable seating and fits well in the room. It would save us from having to choose a new one for that room.

Now the living room sofas are in sad shape and those are just going to be replaced. But that won't be done for a while yet.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

When we were shopping for furniture I remember seeing a whole lot of microfiber and wondered how well it wore, it claims to wear well but does it in practice? Does anyone else know about this fabric?

I covered some dining room chairs in a printed denim years ago and they are wearing beautifully. We use these chairs every day. They even survived me leaving a watermelon on one to rot under the table for 3 weeks...

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ellen, I distrust microfiber in clothing....I'm not sure how I'd feel about it on furniture. Mostly I am very cautious when it comes to new fabrics! LOL! But that is not one of the things that the upholstery person said she was bringing to show me, so I guess it doesn't fit the "durable and easy to clean" qualifications.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Barb, Have fun looking at the new fabrics! Let us know what you choose.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I've reupholstered a curved chair seat (my grandfather was an upholsterer/furniture crafter and I wanted to save the beautiful desk chair that he made 60 years ago), but I've never tackled a sofa. I took a class at the local Jo-Ann's Fabric Store to learn the basics. I know that I haven't done a perfect job, but I like thinking that my "Pop-pop" would appreciate my attempts!

I agree with the other members that if you have a sturdy frame (and it sounds like you do), it is worth investing in reupolstering. Be careful of chenille -- it can wear in many ways like corduroy.

Have fun choosing your fabric!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thumbs up We chose professional reupholstery and are very pleased

Last year we had a 15-year-old, beloved, good quality but very beat-up sofa reupholstered. It cost more than we planned on spending, and quite possibly more than buying a new piece, but it looks wonderful and fits exactly where we need it to in the family room. It's a great fabric that looks and feels like it's going to hold up for a very long time. For us, it was a question of "you get what you pay for"--I had tried those tie-on slipcovers too, and they were a real pain, always slipping off whenever anyone sat on the sofa. And what else are you supposed to do with a sofa?

http://adventureswithtootsandtheninja.blogspot.com/

Be quite sure that God will bless you and that the depths of your sufferings will be matched by the consolation reserved for you.

St. Therese of Lisieux

Last edited by Lewcas; 01-05-2008 at 03:42 PM.