Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Home Decorating & Repair > Decorating - Living Room/Den

Old 09-23-2005, 04:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Decorating Ideas to Make Your Living Room More Liveable

Decorating Ideas to Make Your Living Room More Liveable

by Lisa French

Above all else, the furniture in the living-room should make it livable. It should be grouped so that it offers centers of interest, convenience and comfort. Look for upholstered seating with homespun-type fabric, or toss a pieced quilt over plain fabric or leather. An old rocker is a great addition.

By the time you are ready to choose the furniture for the living room, the walls and floor coverings should be in place so that the choice of furniture will be merely the selection of the best out of several possibilities. Of course, the quality, shape and color of furniture varies, and the quantity will as well.

Can one imagine a more livable living-room than one with a large, soft sofa in front of a fireplace, behind it a long table filled with books, while holding a lamp at either end. Or else, at the end of the sofa, a small table for the reading lamp and on either side a pair of comfortable chairs?

The main essentials are a comfortable sofa, a table large enough to hold books, magazines and lamps, and at least two comfortable, upholstered chairs and a smaller table.

While at the other end or side of the room, a pair of book-cases, cabinets or a credence. These balance the fireplace, since they are placed against the wall and have a corresponding shelf, cornice or mantel line.

In developing the original simple formula there may be added a chaise, a good-size table, another large chair, and another small table.

Remember that it is always better to leave a space empty than to have it occupied by a badly placed piece of furniture. Good furniture needs space to be seen to its advantage.

If there is a large array of furniture in the living-room, keep the carpet, and furniture upholstery all to one tone.

Mantel accessories may be applied to the other shelves and the tables in the room. Keep them free from dust-collecting, trivial things, while creating a sense of order and cleanliness.

Balance is maintained by using objects in pairs: a pair of vases, candlesticks, bowls, or jars. Placed at either end of the mantel, they should be higher than the intervening objects, to form a sweeping curve. Also they help to frame in the over-mantel picture or mirror.

In fitting furniture to its architectural background there are 3 things to consider
  • contour and proportion
  • design and decorative detail
  • color of wood
The first two points are obviously necessary; it is in the last that the furnishing of many rooms fails. Oak and mahogany do not mix amicably; one does not set off the other because there is not sufficient contrast, nor are they closely enough allied to harmonize. On the other hand, black ebony and yellowish burr walnut, such as is used in inlaying seaweed pattern in oak, are examples of harmony gained.

How to rearrange a room.
To rearrange a room successfully, begin by taking everything out of it. In reality or in your mind, then decide how you want it to look. Design and color of wall decorations, carpets, lighting fixtures, lamps and ornaments on mantel, depend upon the character of your furniture.

In furnishing a small room you can add greatly to its apparent size by using plain paper and making the woodwork the same color, or slightly darker in tone. If you cannot find wall paper of exactly the color and shade you wish, it is often possible to use the wrong side of a paper and produce exactly the desired effect.

***printed from the FamilyCorner.com Here's What's New Newsletter. To sign up for any of the Family Corner newsletters, click here

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We got a really nice sofa from freecycle, but the flowers in the print are the wrong color. When browsing at the big box home store, I saw spray paint for upholstery, which got me thinking. I do fabric painting, so maybe I could paint over the flowers. I would take some time, but hardly any money. Has anyone tried this?
Old 06-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
How cool if this works! I have never heard of doing this before so if your try it, please let us know!

Good Luck to you!!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Wow that sounds like a great idea...I have painted on Pillow Cases and Tablecloths with Acrylic paints...Please let us know how it turns out...