Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

What color goes with blue?

I will soon be moving into a new (for Us) home. The previous owner loves the color blue and has it in the linoleum and the counter tops as well as the walls.

I was wonder what color I could repaint the walls. I don't want yellow or white. My appliances, cupboard doors, and small kitchen equipment are already white.

I was thinking of a coral or terra cotta, What do you think?

Wildflower
Old 02-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Wildflower,

When I first noticed your post, my first thought was yellow or cream. Then, I read that you don't want a white or yellow. I thought of pink next, so I do think that coral or terra cotta would work too. It seems to be rather important which coral or terra cotta though. I think you need to watch the undertone. It could look pretty shocking if the undertone is too orange. I hope that makes sense!

Good luck with your decorating!
Jenna
Old 02-13-2004, 06:19 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes Jenna, That does make sense, thank you!

My old kitchen was yellow and green (sort of like a sage green). I love those colors, but I thought I should do something totally different.

I don't care for the color orange, so I will be sure to check the colors accordingly.

Another thought I had after posting, was to pick up a white plastic lattice. The kind you place outside, and cut it to fit under the cabinets, then maybe it would tone down the blue underneath and I can hang my cooking utensils and maybe an ivy through it.

I love decorating!
Wildflower
Old 02-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

That sounds like a great idea!

Do you like the blue? I'm asking because if you do, it might be an idea to do everything blue, so you don't really notice it. I know that sounds rather strange, but it actually does work. We had a bathroom in our last house that was a harvest gold color. I tried a couple of colors to disguise the the gold, but it just seemed to make the gold fixtures even more noticable. Finally, I painted the room a light shade of the gold and it looked much better. Then, my towels and other items took center stage and they were the things you noticed, not the harvest gold.

I love decorating too! When do you move into your new home? How exciting for you!

Jenna
Old 02-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I thought yelllow, too when I read the heading. You could use peach, which is a lighter shade of coral. Peach and blue are pretty together. I would pick out a fabric first if you are using one for curtains, appliance covers, or pick out kitchen towels that have blue in them and then use the other colors from the print. How about a wallpaper border? You can do the same with it, by pulling out the other colors and also adding some variety.
I love prints ! Can you tell ?
I am sure whatever you decide will be lovely. May you be very happy and blessed in your new home !
Old 02-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Just FYI, I am going to place this thread in the Kitchen section of this forum, as of tomorrow.

Blue goes with EVERYTHING! So I guess it depends on how you want to dress it up, and what shade of blue it is!

If you like flowers & plants, match it with green.

If you like Americana, match it with a shade of red.

If you like a country look, match it with a mauve or maroon.

For a more modern look, match it with gray.

You can do a lot with your accessories and kitchen linens that are inexpensive to change later if you want to change the look.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

OH wow s ooooo many ideas;-)

Good thing I still have time. We don't take possession until
May 1st.

I wonder if I should attach a picture of the kitchen and then see all the ideas!

One of my favorite decorating shows is Trading Spaces. I would love to be on it.

Wildflower
Old 02-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Wildflower, YES, give us a picture!!! That would be great!!!

I like Trading Spaces too but my DH has threatened me with legal action if I ever sign us up for it
Old 02-15-2004, 07:14 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Okay, will attach a picture in May when we take possession of the home.

barbszy lol I never thought of asking my dh!:p
Old 02-15-2004, 08:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Wildflower that is TOO funny!!

(Did you think of asking your DH what color HE would like in the kitchen?) Just kidding.....I know MY DH is color impaired. He thinks our cream-colored walls in the dining room are BROWN