FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Decorating - Kitchen/Dining Room (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/decorating-kitchen-dining-room/)
-   -   Empty Space just waiting to be decorated (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/decorating-kitchen-dining-room/4639-empty-space-just-waiting-decorated.html)

mporras 10-24-2002 03:51 PM

Empty Space just waiting to be decorated

I have a relatively small kitchen, but a whole 'lotta space on top of my cupboards to the ceiling. Does anyone have decorating ideas for that space? It would bring me a lot of joy to put to rest the many nights of staring blankly at all that very decoratable space!^^

Shawn 10-24-2002 04:18 PM

There are many things you can do. \

~ Place some plants (real or artificial)
~ Plates (standing) with a matching mug in front of it.
~ Decorated boxed
~ Canister sets
~ Old Cookbooks

mporras 10-24-2002 04:29 PM

Thanks Shawn. I love the old cookbook idea, I never thought of that. Michelle:-D

Juliecc913 10-25-2002 10:43 PM

I've got some candlesticks in the colors of my kitchen clustered up there--varying heights, etc. I've also got some favorite old wine bottles up there--some because I like the memories, some because I like the looks of them. I've also got some baskets filled with a bit of greenery and things I need to store--it hides that stuff but it is in the kitchen where I need it.

EJaginLa 10-26-2002 09:00 PM

Utilize that space while decorating.

I have a rather small alley type kitchen with the open cabinets as well. I have found some of the most beautiful jars and tins to put up there. Hint.....measure the height before shopping.....

I store extra flour, sugar, treats, baking soda, crackers and so much more in all of my beautiful colored jars and tins. I lined each of the cabinets with green ivy using the containers in the background. Looks really nice and always in season as well as being functional.

janet 10-27-2002 05:34 AM

I have old tins stored on the top of my kitchen cabinets. I have tin canisters that hold items I don't use alot but don't want to get rid of.The canisters have the words Flour, Sugar, Coffee, Tea etc. On the cabinets by my sink I have old fashion cups with artifical vines trailing out of them...they look real.

janet

Jacquie Singleton 10-27-2002 09:50 AM

I too have a lot of space above my cupboards, but also very tall cupboards so I went to the flea market and fount lots of old cookies jars, silk flowers, old cooking stuuf like well-worn woks, cast iron skillets, old dishes, cups, antique looking pots and teapots, I brought them home and after I shoes corn flower blue and bright yellow for my kitchen colors, I pulled out the fabric paints and glazes and gave each item a little design, scrubbed off rust and shined up tarnished brass, I added some old marble bookends for "relic cookbooks". some silk flowers candles and a few old odds and ends like a hand (the real old kind) mixer, some really neat grilling tools, a wood block with knives long past their usefullnes, but I also store pasta canisters and my flavored oils and vinegars up there too so I keep a step stoll handy for easy access! Good luck!

Jacquie Singleton 10-27-2002 09:54 AM

I too have a lot of space above my cupboards, but also very tall cupboards so I went to the flea market and found lots of old cookies jars, silk flowers, old cooking stuff like well-worn woks, cast iron skillets, old dishes, cups, antique looking pots and teapots, I brought them home and after I chose corn flower blue and bright yellow for my kitchen colors, I pulled out the fabric paints and glazes and gave each item a little design, scrubbed off rust and shined up tarnished brass, I added some old marble bookends for "relic cookbooks". some silk flowers, candles and a few old odds and ends like a hand (the real old kind) mixer, some really neat grilling tools, a wood block with knives long past their usefullnes, but I also store pasta canisters and my flavored oils and vinegars up there too so I keep a step stool handy for easy access! Good luck!

meritage 10-27-2002 01:10 PM

glass bottles

I occasionally help my husband "stage" houses for sale. One thing we do is save or buy very inexpensive bottles - generally you see them with oils, vinegars, etc.. However, if this stuff is on top of your cabinets, chances are it won't be used. So, our trick is we fill the bottles with colored water- instead of the expensive oil or vinegar that might get rancid if you don't use it quickly. You can throw in some herbs, or slices of citrus (yellow water with very thin slices of lemon and lime is really pretty in a unique bottle). Also, colored bottles are also fun - I agree with earlier posts--vary the heights--or if there is a lip on your cabinet that might make the smaller things too short to see- put them on something that can't be seen - a block of wood, old book, etc. We often also put a hardback book with a pretty picture on the cover standing up so you can see the picture--it adds some visual interest.

Melanie 10-27-2002 01:50 PM

I don't think this idea has been posted yet...a collection of large wicker baskets would look nice.

~Melanie