Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-27-2002, 06:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Going along with the books on display idea .... they don't have to be just cookbooks -- one of the cutest things I've seen is a collection of mystery novels that had cooking or food-themed titles or cover art arranged on top of the cabinets.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I once lived in a co-op apartment that had cupboards with space above like that. I put up brass curtain rods at the ceiling & hung natural bamboo curtains from them to cover the space. Then I used that area to store large infrequently used kitchen items out of sight. I hung similar bamboo curtains at the window & it looked neat & was nicely coordinated.

In a different house I had my husband make shelves by cutting wide boards to place on brackets up high on 3 sides of the eating area of the small kitchen. I then used this shelf area near the ceiling to display things I collected but didn't use often -- such as trays, cookie tins, wicker baskets, jello molds, tea kettles, vases, pretty cookbooks (you may need to turn some things on the side & prop against the wall to display better). If I needed to use something, I just climbed on a chair & got it down. You could use the space over the cupboards for the same effect & could even tuck in some silk flowers or a rope of greenery.

Bab
Old 10-28-2002, 10:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think most of this has been mentioned, but here goes: I have a group of three cabinets at one ned of my kitchen with the high space overhead: over one cabinet I have a glazed pottery casserole, a flower arrangement in a coffee mug and a tin - all in co-ordinating colors; over another I have a German clay cooking dish, and a wicker basket with ivy; over another I have a set that includes large coffee mugs, coffee pot, sugar and creamer.

There have been some wonderful ideas here! Who says the ordinary person is not original and talented!!!
Old 10-28-2002, 02:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

I just resently moved into a new home and one of my favorite parts about it was to open tops of the cupboards, I have many old plates and saucers and cups that are'nt a full set (Just odds and ends) but they were ones I remembered my great grandmother and my husbands grandmother and grandfather having and thought they must have some special meaning to them if they were keeping them. so I purchased some plate holders and some baskets and greenery and used them on top of my cupboards. I have found out that some of them are over a hundred yaers old, and they are really beautiful have them on top of my cupboards also keeps them out of reach of little hands, I also used the cookbook Idea with them, I didn't have enough old ones so I took some books I don't use anymore and covered them with brown wrapping paper and plain wrapping paper that match my kitchen and added my own titles to the back, there are alot of different things you can do, just work with it and if it dosn't look like you want just keep working with it only you know what you want it to look like and when you find the right thing you will know. Good luck