Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-01-2002, 06:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Country Farm theme ideas

I need some good ideas and I knew just where to come.
I need a change in my dr and kitchen, they are together, one big long room, and I wantto do country with some farm stuff. Very inexpensive please.
My dining room contains an oak table with 2 benches on the sides and chairs on the end all oak, my piano, and my comp. desk. I need to keep my comp. here so I can always be aware of what the kids are doing. ;-)
My kitchen cabinets go to the ceiling I always wished there was a shelf at the top. I had gotten some country looking plates and hang them with plate hangers over one side of the cabs, but I really dont know what to do with the other side, [cabs are in L shape] cabs are oak also. I need ideas, I cant believe I'm stumped already, usually when I finally get started the ideas flow but not this time. Could this brain block be another symptom of the infamous pre meno?

I wish everyone a day full of joy.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

How about using red checked gingham for cutains or on the table (place mats, pads on chairs and benchs) Or one of those cute print fabris that have themes on them like cows or John Deere tracktors. there are so many different ones that you should be able to find one that catches your eye and you favorite things.

Could you paint the centers of your cabinet doors with something from the fabric or stencil on them. (you have cabinets to the ceiling and wish they had a shelf - I have a shelf and wish they went to the ceiling lol hahahaha ) Do you know the magazine from Reiman publishing I think it is call Country They usually have some neat ideas that might inspire you.

I'll keep thinking and check back with you. Hope it all starts to flow for you.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:49 PM

Well, I'm a quilter, so I'd hang quilts or wallhangings.

Take a trip to your local antique store, and I'm sure you'll find some inspiration there.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

shocking

I did my kitchen in country also. I have roosters and apples. I painted my cupboards a country white, and spray painted the knobs barn red. I have a border print (wall paper) with roosters and country animals in the background. I used red and blue colors throughout. This fall want to make red & white gingham cafe curtains. (have the material, but have not had the time up to now. My chair cushions are blue and white now, but will be changing that when I make my curtains. Hope this helps. CAFE
Old 08-03-2002, 12:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle kitchen

Hi
My kitchen is too because everyone in my family gets me piggy things. so I have cookie jar of a pig on a tractor (dont know where it came from but my kitchen is a tan color so I took garden fenceing really cheap and make a fence on one of my walls and then cut out my own farm animals (since i rent at the moment I use the starch to put on the wall so it will not do any harm) when I take it down its not much but it does dress my walls up abit since its a small kitchen
Old 08-04-2002, 08:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Country Farm decorations

Hi,
We moved into our house almost 2 years ago and I'm just figuring out what to do with this huge - very plain - wall in the 2 story foyer.

Traveling to & from our camping vacation, we stopped at a few Cracker Barrels to eat and they decorate EVERYWHERE with old farm equipment, advertising signs, pictures in antique looking frames, etc. So I decided I wanted something similar.

I found a rustic looking wooden ladder that's about 7 feet tall) and wrapped it with what I think is dried vine or some other thin, flexible dried wood and a long length of silk flower buds (it's about 6 feet long) - I found all this at a country gift store. I could probably have found the vine and flowers at a craft store (AC Moore or Michael's) for less, but I'm not very creative and they had one already assembled in the store, so I just copied.

Then I went to a local Farmers Market where they have vendors set up selling used stuff. I found an old sickle (SP?), long metal ladle and an ice graber. My parents had alot of yard tools that belonged to my great grandparents that they gave me (an old short shovel, one of those long ice picks, rake and a pitchfork).

I also found some long wooden geese to put up there in between the tools. Now I just have to get DH geared up to hanging everything (very securly!) for me.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2002, 03:37 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

All these ideas are wonderful! Here's an item I just won on eBay, my kitchen/dining area is country too and I am just switching it over and redcorating. I JUST (just now!) hung a 16x20 cow and farm print in a really nice frame and mat, and on either side of it I put some 8x10 matted prints, a rooster and chicken one on the left, and 2 cow prints on the right. I can't WAIT to get this little shelf/cabinet:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2042326345

See how the chicken wire is in the cabinet door? I've seen this in kitchen cabinets and it looks sooooo cool!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-06-2002, 12:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I, too, have country kitchen.

I am fixing to paint my dining room chairs a barn red (love old red barns). Reading about crowemommy's ladder gave me an idea... my kitchen/dining room is very small and very limited space. I like to display my things, but also need storage...soooooo I have a corner by my didning foom table that needs something...I wou;ld love to find an old ladder like that and use it in the corner for storage and display!!!!! Maybe add a plant or 2, too.
Now I am excited!!! Should I paint it red too, or would that be to much with the chairs?????
Old 08-06-2002, 12:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I, too, have country kitchen.

I am fixing to paint my dining room chairs a barn red (love old red barns). Reading about crowemommy's ladder gave me an idea... my kitchen/dining room is very small and very limited space. I like to display my things, but also need storage...soooooo I have a corner by my dining room table that needs something...I woulld love to find an old ladder like that and use it in the corner for storage and display!!!!! Maybe add a plant or 2, too.
Now I am excited!!! Should I paint it red too, or would that be to much with the chairs?????
Old 08-06-2002, 12:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

woops..........didin't mean to send it twice.