Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-25-2002, 03:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb Crackle paint kitchen cabinets? Wallpaper over paneling?

I have a very tiny kitchen that has dark walls and cabinets that make it seem even smaller. My only counter in the kitchen is just big enough for my dish drainer and mat! Other than that I have cutting boards on my washer and dryer for more "counter space". I am currently in the process of trying to at least "lighten up" my kitchen to make it seem larger. The attached picture is what was found underneath after I took off DARK brown cork squares and dark grey mirror tile squares that covered the top half of 2 kitchen walls. It is a white paneling with "lovely" adhesive marks left from around the edges of the cork board squares and pieces of double stick foam left from the mirror tiles.
It will not come off with OOPs or Goof off or mineral spirits. I would like to wallpaper the top half of these 2 walls.

This is my thought--sand it down to help smooth off the adhesive as much as possible and provide a surface with more "grip", then clean it, then spackle in the grooves to make them smooth (sanding to make smooth of course), and then wallpaper over. The wallpaper I have is not terribly thin and is an ivory background with a marbled sponge painted type look over in a dark beige, so I think it will cover well. I have not papered before, and certainly not over paneling, so I wanted advice. Do you think the steps I have listed will work? Can I get away without doing any of them? (I have a 4yo DS, 2 1/2 yo DD and 8 mo. DD--so the quicker the better! ) Are there any other suggestions?

Next post I will describe and give pictures of the cabinets.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2002, 04:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question crackle paint cabinets?

OK--The picture of the cabinets below actually makes them look better than they do in real life! They are horizontal wood slats with a frame around them. The attached picture shows most of the 2 pairs of cabinet doors over the stove area. Then I have another pair of doors above the sink, and a single next to those. Most of the rest of the kitchen walls are the cheap medium brown paneling that I will attach a picture of in the next post, so that is what surrounds the cabinets. (Of course there is also the top half of the 2 walls I hope to wallpaper, pictured in the previous post--let me know if anyone wants to see a pic of the wallpaper). There is also a bit of brick wall pattern paneling that has been painted white that is recessed below the cabinets over the sink and on the cabinets under the sink.

I hope this makes at least a bit of sense--it is hard to describe such a hodge podge of paneling colors and textures--most of it is medium brown wood colored or darker though.

I was thinking about crackle painting just the cabinet doors and the immediate trim around them with a deep country blue for the base to show through the crackles in the ivory top coat. So the overall impression would be an ivory with hints of country blue with a weathered antiqued cracking paint look.

So you can try to picture more of the surroundings of the cabinets--my kitchen decor is country with an apple theme--reds, country blue and a bit of a couple greens. I plan to put a border around up near the ceiling that has country blue scalloped edge with light beige background with baskets of apples, dinner plates and birdhouses on it--I can attach a picture of the border also if anyone wants to see it.

I have been reading up about crackle painting online and I might try wood glue instead of "official" crackle medium. They recommend latex satin paint for the base and top coat (deep country blue and ivory in my case). Any thoughts on this from someone who has tried crackle painting? I also obviously want the cabinets to be washable--do you think washing them would hurt the crackle finish? I was thinking of putting on a couple of coats of acrylic sealer or varnish over when I am done with the base coat, crackle, and top coat to seal it all and hopefully make it washable. Do you think it would work? If so, what type of sealer/varnish would anyone recommend (spray, brush on, brand--what about yellowing?)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to give me!
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2002, 04:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

More paneling and surrounding decor

Here is a picture of a corner of the kitchen so that you can get an idea of more of the paneling, and the country/ apple theme in the kitchen.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2002, 04:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

another door to crackle

This tall narrow door is the same style as the cabinets in the kitchen, and is opposite the ones above the stove. (sorry for the sideways picture--don't pull a neck muscle!) I am thinking of doing the crackle finish on this also. By the way, I was thinking of hand painting an apple on the bottom frame piece of each of the cabinets, over the crackle finish but before I varnish. And as you can see, the door below has a large framed flat section on the bottom half below the slatted section. I think that would be a good spot to do some more decorative painting of an apple or two.

Once the top halves of the 2 walls are wallpapered over that ugly white paneling, the border is up around the top, and the cabinets and tall narrow door are crackle painted, I will then see if I want to leave the rest of the surrounding wood paneling as is, or eventually paint over it with a washable ivory semigloss to lighten the room up more.

My main goal is to lighten and brighten up my dark little "dungeon" of a kitchen to make it look bigger, and make it more pleasant to be in. We don't have the money to take apart and totally make a bigger kitchen with an addition (which is what it really could use someday), so basically I just want to change (on a very limited budget) what has been here since we moved in 3 years ago so that I don't hate being in the kitchen as much!

How do all of the ideas I have posted sound? Any suggestions or different ideas or tips? I know that it is probably hard to picture everything, and my descriptions may not have helped. Even so, I would be interested to hear anything anyone has to say about the whole thing--wallpaper and border over paneling, crackle painting the cabinets, and maybe eventually painting over the rest of the remaining wood colored paneling. Thanks for your time!
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2002, 11:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Since my starting of this thread, I have begun to think that crackle painting might not be appropriate for kitchen cabinets like it would a stool or small furniture, etc. Even if I did crackle paint the cabinets and liked the result for myself, when we try to sell the house in the future, it would be better to have something less unusual for a cabinet finish.

Now I am thinking of perhaps a spatter painting technique, ivory base coat with subtle spatters of country blue and maybe even beige on top (kind of the look of the spatters on Amanda Formaro's beautiful hand painted jars if you have seen them!). Then it would be easily repainted over to a single color either just before putting the house on the market or if I left it "spattered", at least would seem easier to prospective buyers to change to suit their tastes.

The spatter painting would also provide a smoother, easier surface to do any decorative painting/stenciling, etc. on that I might decide to do! It would be less time consuming also, and more easily corrected if I did not like it.

The spatter painting would still meet the objective for lighter and brighter with hints of colors pulled out from the rest of the room, and yet be more neutral in terms of selling the house later.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 07-26-2002, 01:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi 64squares: Glad I can help. I also have done the kitchen cabinets, it had taken a long time because we had to take varnish off. They now have a product on the market for taking stain off (I don't remember the name, the hardware stores should carry it) with the cabinets being so dark you will have to apply more than one coat. It took us a while to refinish ours cabinets, we have 36 cabinet doors, 6 drawers and 8 facings; at the time we both had full time jobs and only did the cabinets in our spare time. Anyway there are products out there that will make it easier than it was when we had done our project. Good luck and let me know how it turns out. Diane
Old 07-26-2002, 04:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Diane--Wow! it sounds like you had a LOT of cabinets ot re-do!! Yikes! For that reason, I guess I am glad my kitchen is tiny, and only has a few cabinets!!

If I ever get the project done, I should try to take the "after" pictures, so everyone can see how it turned out!
Old 07-26-2002, 04:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

What is crackle paint, and how is it done?

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Crackle painting is a type of faux painting that makes an object look older than it is (antique, rustic, peeling paint look). Now I don't even know why I thought of it for my cabinets--even if I liked how it looked it probably would be difficult to clean! I will attach a couple close up pictures I got from my search for crackle painting on the search engine www.google.com .

From what I read online, you use 2 contasting colors of latex satin finish paint and then a "crackle medium" from the craft or hardware store. In some of my reading, people have used white glue or wood glue for a crackle medium, which is supposed to work fine and is cheaper. Of course ($$$$), if I ever tried this project on something, I would probably try the glue route first since it is supposed to be cheaper.

You apply the base coat color which will be what ends up showing through the "cracks" in the paint (if I had decided to crackle my cabinets, I would probably have used a deep country blue). Then after that dries you apply the crackle medium or glue and let it dry to the touch--1/2 to 1 hour, sometimes more by the manufacturer's directions. Then you brush or sponge on the top coat color (which I would have used ivory or a very pale beige), making sure to only stroke once without repeating strokes in the same spot. Cracks should start to appear quite quickly--if you brushed over the same area repeatedly, I guess the cracks you are trying to achieve would disappear! I would have probably finished off with a coat of varnish so that I could have washed the cupboards too.

I guess the size of the cracks and pattern depends on how thick you put the crackle medium or glue, whether you brush it on in one direction or sponge it on randomly, etc.

Well, here is the first close up picture of crackle painting--I will attach another in a different post.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2002, 06:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Another crackle picture

Here is a second example of crackle painting--a bit harder to see, but I think the lines are finer on this one and less random.
Attached Images