Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-18-2002, 08:14 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Gingham check cabinets?

We just had hardwood floor put in our kitchen and dining room area. We are getting new moss green carpet in the living room (the kitchen "falls" into the living room), it's kind of a dark sage green. Anyway, I'm getting country blue slip covers for my couch and that will be accented with sage gingham check and toile pillows.

When the carpet is in, we are going to paint all the walls (living room, kitchen, and dining room) with an antique white. We are also going to paint the cabinets in antique white.

Now, to get to the point of this post LOL, I am thinking about maybe painting the center of each cabinet with sage green in a gingham check pattern.Or another option is to decoupage some gingham material on (that might be better!). I'm including a picture below of what the cabinets look like right now and would love to hear any thoughts or ideas on this.

The reason I've decided to go with the green is because the living room and kitchen are right next to each other, they are not closed off from each other. So the colors from the living room kind of "need" to spill into the kitchen.

The picture below shows that the cabinets have a border that goes around in a rectangular fashion. Inside of this is where I think I'll put the gingham and I'll probably paint the lines themselves green (sage).

Or do you think I should do it in reverse? Put the gingham on the outside of the rectangle and leave the center white? I'll be replacing all trhe knobs of course too

Would love your input, especially on that shape above the window!
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2002, 09:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
My 2 cents

I think the type of design you do should depend on the look youre going for. If youre going for a relaxed country look, I would paint the pattern on the door. If you want more of a sophisticated country ( is that an oxymoron ?) look, go with the fabric. Both, I think, would look better inside the frame

This sounds really pretty ! Good luck painting your cabinets. We did our in the kitchen and they turned out great !
Old 07-18-2002, 10:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I agree

I agree with ajrsmom. Your cabinets would look realy nice if you painted the inside of the cabinets. i am afraid it would bet complicated to try and paint the outside edge in gingham. You would have to be very careful that you lined up the checks from one cabinet door to the next. - if you do the center of the door it would not be as critical to have it perfectly matched.

If you did the fabric I would use a thin trim molding around the edge of the fabric and the raised part of the door. It would cover up any place that the fabric stretched or was not perfectly smooth along the edge.

Where do you get all the energy to get everything done that you do. And the time?????? i don't have time to get anything done that I have to for just me each day.

Have a day where you are a rich blessing to the Lord.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow Amanda, That is going to look pretty. No matter which way you do it!

I think it all depends on which way YOU want it to look and which is easier and more cost effective.

Try this... make a template and place it on the cabinets for each way you are looking to decorate. Then stand back and see which you like better. THis way you do not do the whole kitchen and think... Hmmm I should have done it the other way.

Hope this helps.... (BTW, can you come to Jersey and decorate my house )
Old 07-21-2002, 05:30 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks you guys! I sat down and did some sketching, I agree, I think the center with the gingham will be best. Here's another idea I had

Instead of painting the background of the cabinets (the part that's left if you take the doors off) white, I think I'll paint them country blue or sage and paint the doors white, then do the check in the centers. What do you think?

And here's another idea. Likew Tami mentioned, hand painting gives more of a relaxed country look while the fabric would be more modern or traditional country. Well here's an idea....

I have this wallpaper in my hallway, I am PRETTY sure that I have some more of this same wallpaper buried in the storage room in the basement somewhere LOL What if I were to use the wallpaper in the center of the cabinets instead of painstakingly painting them?
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2002, 02:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

If you have extra, are you going to use that as your template? If so, cut a few pieces and put them on the pannels to see if you will like it.

Nothing is better then having it visualized first.

I bet your room is going to look fabulous when completed!

Old 07-22-2002, 04:25 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, I was thinking of putting the wallpaper right on the cabinet door, instead of painting the checks on. It's exactly the look I want (the relaxed country) and I'm hoping it will look like I imagined. What do you think of the blue or green background idea? I sketched it out and I think it will work out nicely
Old 02-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I like your ideas. I would put the wallpaper inside of the cabinet, and have the rest of it antique white. If you aren't careful it will become too "kitchy", if you get my drift, but the way you are doing everything else sounds really neat and creative. I had the exact same cabinets in a kitchen that I used to live in, and I painted them white and they looked really attractive.