Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Home Decorating & Repair > Decorating - Bedrooms

Old 02-16-2003, 08:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have used a buckwheat filled pillow for the past four (?) years and absolutely love it.
This pillow never get flat, can be shaped to fit your desire, and keeps you feeling cool all year long. I live in Florida in a house with out air conditioning so this theory has been tested often.
They do take some time getting used to, But I will never go back to a conventional pilllow ever again.

Tesa
Old 02-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Uhmmmmmmm! Sounds interesting! Almost good enough to eat!! Where did you find the buckwheat pillows?
Old 02-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

After a series of auto accident,s I got a tip from my 80 yr. old Mother, to sleep on a flat pillow. Since that time, my neck pain has been almost non-existent. It is an old pillow, not a new one. Best medical advice I got from a person who is not a doctor. So, no new pillows for me.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, My first post. Yes, I know what you mean about pillows, but I finally found the answer. It's called Beautyloft made by Beautyrest. They are sold in Kohl's, usually 50% off. I have had mine for about 2 years now and it's as fluffy as it was when it was new. My collection of pillows up to that point was unbelievable, every couple of months I was trying to find a new one because the one I was using was a flat as could be and I'd have headaches when I woke up. You can buy these pillows on Kohl's website www.kohls.com. This week (2/12/2003-2/22/2003) you'll get $10.00 reward for every $50.00 you spend, it's amazing, free shipping for $75.00
Old 02-16-2003, 12:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

wow! thank you for the tip on Kohl's! Never heard of the store, but will check it out on here. How much are they usually?

Im still trying to get over the Buckwheat ones! All I can think of is the smell! Because its a horrid memory for me when I was younger! (Trainlady, you will like this one for youe memories forum!) I havent thought about this for a long time but since you brought up Buckwheat! We used to go to Disneyland every year in Sept when I was little. We were on our way there one morning when we stopped to have breakfast at this little cafe. I ordered pancakes, but for some reason didnt see or didnt care that they were buckwheat! Well they were sitting in front of me and I could not eat them! They were sooooo horrid tasting to me! So I got into squabble with my mom and dad that if I didnt finish my pancakes we were NOT going to Disneyland! Well when you have a brother and sister sitting there giving you nasty looks cuz they wanted to go, but miss stubborn me would not eat her pancakes!
Well I finally did, but guess who paid for it on the trip to Disneyland after that!!!!! Mom and dad had quite the mess in the back seat of the car to clean up! Taught them a lesson!!!!!!!:p

So I dont think I could really use the "buckwheat" pillows!!I still get the "willey's" thinking about that day! And ya know what! I just remembered! It was also my birthday that day!

Thanks for the memory! Not!!!!! He he he!!
Old 02-16-2003, 02:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

So sorry to hear about that memory,sounds horrible. I on the other hand love buckwheat pancakes, also buckwheat and bowties. My buckwheat pillow is in the attic because try as I may, I couldn't get used to the thing. I just makes too much noise, all that crunching. If I remember correctly the pillow cost me about $10.00 and soon I will be getting one for my hubby as I sick of beating it to death every morning trying to fluff it up. So it will join the pillow cemetery till I make something that requires stuffing. I hope they have them on the website.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Oh Yes! pillow cemetary! Cant get rid of them for some reason! How funny! never know when you might need one!!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lightbulb

My ex bought a Beautyrest foam pillow almost 2 years ago. I still have this wonderful pillow....can't say the same for him!;-)
I'm not sure where he bought it.....probably Walmart... but it has kept it's shape after several washings, and is the most comfortable pillow I have. (I have 7 on my bed!)

Hey Mugwump....Do you have any pets that would enjoy a comfy buckwheat cushion? I know my cats would fight over who got to sleep on that one! Just an idea for the orphan pillow in your attic!

Old 02-25-2003, 09:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My husband just took part in a Health & Safety course and one of the things they talked about was replacing one's pillow every two years because of the build-up of dust mites. Washing a pillow apparently doesn't help but I would think the heat from the dryer would kill these buggers. Anyone heard of this?
Old 02-25-2003, 11:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I agree that the heat of the dryer would kill the dust mites. I'm not giving up my favorite pillow and it's much more than 2 years old! I worked in hospitals and doctors' offices for many years and never heard the advice to replace a pillow every 2 years.