Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Home Decorating & Repair > Decorating - Bedrooms

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bedding for Bunk Beds (twin)

We recently purchased a bunk bed for our son and I was looking for specific sheets/comforters that are designed for bunk beds. I would prefer making it myself, so a pattern or instructions would be helpful = or if anyone knows of a pattern?

I'm not sure what their called, but the base of the top sheet and comforter are fitted with elastic, like bottom sheets, so they don't pull out of the mattress. Hope this makes sense!
Thanks

Old 05-08-2002, 11:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you for this post. I never knew there were special shhets for bunk beds, waterbeds yes but not bunks. Hubby is making our boys some bunk beds so this info will really come in handy.
Thanx
Smiles
Denise
Old 05-10-2002, 04:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great idea!

I have no advice on how to make bunk bed sheets et al, but if you sew your own I see a dandy little business brewing! I have bunkbeds for my girls and, being short, have a heck of a time making the top bunk. I know I'd be interested in anything that makes it easier!

Stace
Old 05-10-2002, 09:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hopefully this is what youre looking for

Try this site, theres a place on that page for bunk bed caps, I think this is what youre looking for

www.furnitureesuperstore.com/pillows_linens/ bedding_bunkbed.asp - 37k

Theyre kinda pricey but I thinks its a whole set. Good Luck
-Jennifer
Old 05-10-2002, 02:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Making the sheets for them is not all that hard. I made crib sheets for my son (Batman freak) because I couldn't find that theme in crib sheets.

How I did it is:
1. Measure the top width and length of the mattress.
2. Measure the side depth of the mattress and add that figure to the previous width & length figures.
3. Figure out how much you want to go under the sheet. I used 3", because kids are forever pulling the crib sheets off. Add that figure to the new width & length figures.
4. Cut the material to the length and width indicated in step #3.
5. From the corners, cut in on a diagonal to the following figure: Take the depth of the mattress sides and add the "under" figure and subtract 1".
The next step took a bit of time to figure out...that's the only downfall to making it yourself.
6. Place the fabric wrong side up on the mattress and fit it to one of the corners. You have to be careful to not shift the material, or the other corners will be off. I suggest using large straight pins to hold it in place. When fitting the material, use chalk or marking pens to mark the line to sew after fitting.
7. Remove the material from the bed and cut the other corners just like the one you fitted.
8. Sew the corners for the sheet. Hem the sides/ends if needed.
I usually try to find material in the width I need, so I only have to hem the ends.
9. Next decision to make is whether you want elastic the entire width of the sheet at the ends or just on the corners. If I remember right, I think I used about 9 - 10" of elastic in the corners of the sheet. I folded the elastic in half and pinned the half point onto the corner seam. Then I sewed the elastic on, stretching to fit around both sides of the seam.
That's it I know it sounds difficult, but it's not really...just a
little time consuming first time around. After I got the pattern right for the mattress we were using, I made a paper pattern out of that to re-use. Only problem is that all mattresses are not made alike, so allowances may have to be made with a different sized mattress.

The top sheet would be made the same way, except only putting elastic in one end. The other end, you would put in a deep hem (like regular sheets). Pillowcases are a breeze, after all that.

Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, email me or post back here. Good Luck!

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.

Last edited by sharlibird; 05-10-2002 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

THANK YOU --- THANK YOU --- THANK YOU! I will definitely try to make it and I'll let ya'll know how it turns out! This is a truly fantastic resource and thank you all for posting responses.
Old 05-18-2002, 05:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't sew, but I found bunk bed caps in the domestications catalog. They are also available online. I bought ours 2 years ago when my son got bunk beds and they have held up well.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm planning on buying my son a loft bed in the next month and this is one of the concerns that I have had. My idea was to cut the top of a fitted sheet and then sew the top so it has a neat finish.

I don't know if this idea will work, but I figure it's worth a try.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

SEARS HAS THEM....

http://www.searsroomforkids.com/room...er=58&clktru=1

These comforters have fitted corners at the foot to fit snuggly around the mattress!!!
Attached Images

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE

Last edited by emajmom; 11-14-2002 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:24 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've never head of bunk-bed caps before! And in my day I've changed every type of sheet on every type of bed and crib invented (and known to mankind!) LOL!

As the old saying goes... you learn something new every day!