Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-07-2002, 08:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sewing Corner for my daughter

Sewing Corner for my Daughter in a very small space in her room 3'x 3 1/2 to 4' She shares a small bedroom room with her sister. Its crowded! There is no natural light in the corner so she will need lighting too. There is available wall space for hanging and organizing supplies. The size 3' x 4' includes space for a folding chair. unfolded. I would like to have this ready for her by summer vacation. Help! Thanks
Leslie9220

Last edited by Leslie9220; 05-07-2002 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

A sewing cabinet (the kind with the sewing machine attached) closed with the machine on top or a desk and chair would save space. I've seen ironing boards that fold down from a wall. Those save space. As for lighting, I'd recommend either a floor lamp or one of those stick-up shop lights.

Put a thread rack on the wall and a couple of shelves above her head while sitting. They could hold sewing utensils. And could you maybe put up a closet rod? Then she could hang her unused fabrics on hangers until ready for use.

And a corkboard would be great for pinning up pattern pieces, instructions, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2002, 02:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Daughters sewing corner

To justGina, Thanks so much for your good ideas on my daughters sewing corner! I especially like the cork board for pining up pattern pieces. Other than the closet rod. All your ideas would work very well. I will be sure to incorporate some of them.
THANKS Leslie 9220
Old 05-07-2002, 02:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

If you can't put up a closet rod, how about using one of those portable garment hangers like you see at Wal-mart?
Old 05-08-2002, 05:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

When I moved into a new apartment as a late teen, my mother showed me how to use wallpaper remmants to cover boxes that copy paper comes in to hold my supplies. I know for a fact that one of these boxes fits fine under the sewing machine so that the chair does not stick out too far because that's what I am still doing now. If you put up shelves, you can also incorporate this idea by putting the boxes on the shelves. You can get wallpaper to match the room's decor also, so it doesn't look out of place.

Good luck!

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

In this room, do you by any chance have extra closet space?

My mom had an extra closet in her rec-room and made one into a nice desk area.

If you do have the room, is this a possibility?
Old 05-09-2002, 06:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

To Sharlibird Thanks for the idea covering paperboxes with wallpaper samples and odds and ends, it's a really great idea for my daughters sewing corner
Old 05-10-2002, 08:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

sewing nook

My mother once converted half of a small closet into a sewing nook. The kind with two sliding doors. She could just leave her works in progress out on the small sewing table and close the closet door to hide the whole mess untill she had the time to work on it again.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had to use a closet for my sewing "room" in my last house too. We found instructions at the local hardware store for building a sewing cabinet in a closet. With the closet door(s) (either sliding, folding or door) open you would fold out two panels into a desk type configuration (think of the profile as a small "h"). The panels were attached with a "piano hinge". You would slide out the machine to the desk surface then push everything back and fold it up when finished. It really worked well.

My only complaint was that the construction plans said to use 5/8 inch thick pressboard, so we did. That is WAY too heavy! I am sure you could get by with a much thinner/lighter wood.

Little girls, nothing! I love this post for my own tiny sewing corner ideas!
Old 05-26-2002, 02:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Cherk, Good ideas Leslie9220