Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-17-2005, 05:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Need Ideas for Shared Bedroom for boy and girl

My kids share a bedroom. My son will soon be 8 and my DD will be 3 in May.

We have been thinking about buying bunkbeds for their room --the kind that can seperate into 2 single beds--when my DD moves from her crib into her a bed. This would take up a lot less space in the room.

My problem is coming up with "girly" decorations that can go with my sons NASCAR themed stuff.

Im thinking of going with red as a color to decorate for her.

I dont want to paint the room so it's staying white. I would like to go with matching blue "denim looking" comforters. He has NASCAR curtains that I could use--or not if I come up with something else.

The room has to have a sleep area and a play area. Its not a huge room but not really small either--I know that I should have measurements, Sorry!!!

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Red & denim would be cute with a "bandanna" look....you could use some kind of cowgirl accessories.

You won't need too much of anything really, if you have the bedspreads & curtains already. Their toys will be enough "decor." They are still young kids.
Are you going to use some kind of room divider curtain for the sleeping areas? If you hang something like a shower curtain, you could put a NASCAR side for your son and your daughter's side, with whatever you choose, and they'd each see their own side, if that makes any sense!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I was thinking along the same lines barb, with a curtain or something. I also though maybe a double sided shelving unit, or two skinny shelving units back to back, sort of jutting out from the wall to create a 'wall' to divide their sleeping sides. We had friends actually build in a wardrobe with doors opening to both sides to separate for the same reasons. Lots of storage tubs for dd. Do you know how many 'bits' come with everything little girls love??!! I am glad that with dd 13, we are nearly at the other end of those toys. Now it is just pots of lipgloss, eyeshadow and whatever else! Mind you, I'd rather have their stuff and know where they are, than a clean house and an aching heart!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Meg, that would be cute! Bookcases, back to back. And if they were about 3 feet tall, shutters could be installed on the top, that could be folded back to the wall when they wanted everything open--but closed at night. (Instant "puppet theatre" too!)

Really, in terms of decor--my kids never cared (still don't) if their rooms "match." It's where they sleep, play and keep their stuff. My DD (9) has picked things for her room that I would never choose, based on their color--but she LOVES those things and is happy in her room.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I hadnt really thought of dividing the room until they were a little older. We are looking at possibly buying bunkbeds that seperate into 2 beds so when that time comes, we can split them up.

My thinking is that if I use bunkbeds now, there will be more play room. Yes, we already have lots of tubs....boys have lots of little things too! I think we should on stock in Match-box sized NASCAR cars.

At this point, Im not really worried if it all matches but then again, I dont want it to look like a state of confusion either.

I do like the bookcase idea a lot. That would work great when they are a little older.

thanks!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 10-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A warning about bunkbeds.

With 4 grandaughters sharing a room we bought a bunkbed set to save space. Seemed like a great idea until our 2 yr old climbed up and jumped off. She was in traction for 5 weeks and in a body cast for almost 6 months because of a fracture to her thigh bone. Child protective services investigated and the 5 children were removed from the home for 2 weeks until they decided it was not a case of negelect. They were upset because children under the age of 7 had access to the room where the bunkbed was used. It was a nightmare! Needless to say we won't have the bunkbed up again for another 5 years.

Our DD and DS (14 months apart) refused to sleep in seperate rooms for years. We used solid reds and blues on both sides and let them decorate in prints that used those colors. A tape down the middle of the room and their dressers being back to back (each facing their own bed) helped them to have their own space when they needed it.

Hope this helps.
Love & Prayers,
Linda
May God give you for every storm, a rainbow, for every tear, a smile, for every care, a promise, and blessing in each trial, for every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh, a sweet song, and an answer for each prayer.
~An Irish Blessing
Old 12-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Tami, is your DD not into NASCAR? Both my bedrooms here in Las Cruses and in Carlsbad are all decked out in NASCAR and I'm a girl!
Old 06-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBora43
Tami, is your DD not into NASCAR? Both my bedrooms here in Las Cruses and in Carlsbad are all decked out in NASCAR and I'm a girl!
She likes to watch the races but she LOVES Dora more, lol!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

OMG, That bunkbed story is so scary! And to think that I just bought bunkbeds for my kids. I will be keeping a close eye on there bedroom for sure now.

I got a really good deal on a set of bunk beds that the full size bed on the bottom folds into a couch. The beds are metal and very colorful...red, blue, yellow.

I have decided not to go with any particular theme for them. We are going to buy wooden letters and spell out their names to decorate the walls. I'm going to garage sale hunt for some picture frames that can be painted in red or blue, then add pics of them and the rest of our family. I'm sure there will be some NASCAR and Dora pics in there too.

I will add a colorful valance to the windows and maybe a colorful area rug if I can happen to find a cheap one too.

There should be plenty of space for playing this way. They seem to be pretty happy with all of this.

I will post some pics when I finally get it all done.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

My DGD will be 3 in August and she is into Dora too. Are you going to separate the bunk beds or leave them on top of each other? If the room is small, there probably isn't much you can do. If it is large enough, you could do more. Good luck and have fun!