Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-30-2002, 03:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I need help in Decorating our Darling Daughter's Room ...

I need help in Decorating our Darling Daughter's Room ?
Our Darling Daughter is soon to be turning two years old!!
I want to decorate her bedroom to grow with her that way I don't have to change it from toddler to kid to teen !!
Can anyone help me by giving me some helpful tips,maybe websites, and or advice!!
I would like to do this as frugally as I can!!
Thanks !!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 04-30-2002, 03:44 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I would suggest using a solid or a small print for the big things (like the bedspread, comforter) and save the cute, little girl things for the small accents, like small pillows, window treatments. Then as she grows, you can change the small things and have a whole new look without a lot of expense. When ds1 was born, I made simple little curtains from a blue print. I added little stuffed teddy bears that someone had given to me as christmas ornaments to the ties. As he got older, I just took off the bears and the "cute" went away.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-30-2002, 03:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for the helpful tips!! :)

Thanks for the helpful tips!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 04-30-2002, 06:49 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

There's an article on this site that is called "From Kids to Teens: Room Makeovers" and may give you some ideas
http://www.thefamilycorner.com/cgi-b...mp.cgi?ID=7895

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 04-30-2002, 07:01 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I agree with Lisa on that one.

Whatever you do, DON"T go with a theme like a cartoon character. Ds1 had Blue's Clues(we didn't buy any of it--it all came from Grandmas 1 and 2). We're changing it now because he's past the "cartoon" stage. Stick with something neutral--pink and white(could start as "Barbie" and go from there) or butterflies. Something that you can change the little details and get a whole new look. Case in point, my sil has pink and white in her girls' room. She has pink and whit paint on the walls(stripes) and had pink balloon valances on the windows that matched the pink/white comforters. She had a few "Barbie" accessories, mainly posters ($3 or so each). Now that the girls have grown, she's put pink floral valances up and turned the comforters over to a pink white and pale blue plaid, added some more "grown-up" accessories, and voila! A room to last for another 5 or 6 years! If she wants to change it again, it's the same thing--just change the fabrics (easy if you can sew a straight stitch!) and a few pictures.

Have you ever watched Decorating Cents? They redo rooms for under $500 (like we'd spend that much--lol!). They give some good ideas on how to change things--though some of the stuff is on the pricey side, who says you can't do it with something less expensive???

And my final tip is this heehee. Take your dd with you when you go shopping--see what colors/patterns she likes. This will be the hard part--remember you are decorating HER room, not yours.(This one is KILLING me, ds wants BRIGHT yellow paint in his room. I hate yellow!) She's young, but she already knows what she likes. And keep in mind that whatever she chooses, if it's expensive, you can do a LITTLE of it cheaply. (loves that $14 a yard satin? Make a twelve-inch pillow, or sew a stirp of it onto a pillowcase).
Old 05-01-2002, 07:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you all We have thought about just buying a twin bed instead of a toddler bed!!

Thank you all We have thought about just buying a twin bed instead of a toddler bed!!
Thank you all for your helpful tips and advice!!
I think that instead of buying a toddler bed and buying a twin bed is best for us that way the big thing is already taken care of and we can just change the little things!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 05-01-2002, 07:41 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My ds2 just painted (himself, at 9 yrs old) his bedroom at his father's house......BRIGHT road construction yellow...not only that, but on one entire wall, he and ds1 painted, with black paint, a nuke sign.....you know the little yellow triangle thingeys? I couldn't imagine!! But it actually looks great and very boyish. DS1 painted his room completely in Japanese theme. He is really into that. For Christmas, I bought a giant gong for him from a FAO Schwartz outlet (whoo hoo---touch me---sizzle sizzle)...they were going out of business and it was really cheap (but don't tell ds, he thinks I paid $100 for it) shhh heehee. Anyway, he painted his room red and I mean RED...then painted all the trim black, plus ran it over a little to match the construction of the gong. He then took gold leafing paint and made marble like marks in the red. He has a black futon (that I picked up from the side of the road) as his bed (Dad bought him a new mattress for it) and he built a little tea-table. He also bought a little Japanese lantern that hangs from the ceiling. (He got that for $6.00 at a co-op). The only left he wants is a standing screen, room divider thing. Their rooms are right across the hall from each other so it is like going from one world to another.

They are already trying to decide how they will paint their rooms in our home when we finally get property and they actually have their own rooms. (right now they are sharing a sad, little room..which they have graciously volunteered to give up when their step-brother and sister come this summer). They say it's worth it just to get to be with them. Am I lucky or what????

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 05-01-2002, 07:46 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Sorry....one more thing. I think doing the twin bed rather than a toddler bed is a good idea. I, personally, think the toddler bed is just a marketing gimmick and they outgrow them sooo quickly. In a girl's room, a daybed can be so cute even as they grow up...so that might also be an alternative. (sigh) I would have loved decorating a girls' room....but my dd came to me at the ripe old age of 11. I do have someone to do fingernails with now and we brush each other's hair....course she loves brushing what's left of her daddy's hair, too.

Old 05-01-2002, 08:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you for your helpful tips and advice!! As far as the twin bed goes we are......

Thank you for your helpful tips and advice!! As far as the twin bed goes we are looking at several diffrent beds to choose from!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 05-02-2002, 11:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Maybe one wall- do a design...

I like the other ideas too, and here is my 2 cents!

I helped my friend do her ds1's room. They painted 3 walls a very light creamy white and then the last wall BRONCO BLUE!!! Very startling at first, but it worked out fine. On that blue, I drew a picture of the Bronco mustang and then my friend painted it with the Bronco colors. The rest of the room is mellow. You might be able to do one wall, or even a portion of it, a certain theme and then just have the rest of the room with colors that go with it or something. HTH.