Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-08-2002, 02:51 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Carla, there are lots and lots of flower themes out there! I'm sure you'll find something!

Dh suggested doing ds2's room in a tropical fish theme--it's okay by me, especially since I just saw a show where the decorator made an octopus-shaped mirror out of mosaic tiles! I could do that. And the under-sea colors would match the carpet in his room! That's where I'm getting stuck--his carpet is a sage green and not a lot goes with it for a boy's room!
Old 05-08-2002, 06:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank You All!!

Thank you all for the wonderful tips and advice!! I really appreciate them all so much!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 05-09-2002, 02:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

DD room colors

I have a GD who will be 13 on june 14 flag day . The colors she likes has changed as she grows. we are on our 4th or 5th color . Stay open to colors as your DDgrows you may get surprised by the colors she will want. MOTHER OF THREE GROWN BOYS ONE DAUGHTER .GRANDMA TO 5. AND LOVING EVERY MIMUTE OF IT . THE GOOD THE BAD THE UGLY!!!!
Old 05-09-2002, 04:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

When my dd was young, we opted for the twin bed instead of the toddler also.

I had basic white walls and painted a border at the top. The border was light pink ribbons and bows. All her bedding was pink and white.

As she grew we were able to add to this theme. I added pastel colored mini hearts (hearts matched the middle of the bow) to the border. Painted the handles on the dresser drawers the pastel colors. We brought in comforters that had all the colors in them as well.

Now my daughter is 8 and her room in so colorful but in a subtle way. It is not hard or flashy, but delicate and pretty.

She now has a room that can grow with her style.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you all for your helpful tips and advice!! :)

Thank you all for your helpful tips and advice!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 05-13-2002, 04:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You can get a lot of milage out of garden themes for little girls - my mom decorated my first big-girl room with flower prints in soft pinks and blues. We added and adjusted over the years and I took some of the blankets and pillows with me when I left home at 18. Carried on the theme through many an apartment and finally my own house. Finally had to give it up last year when I got married at the ripe old age of 37! Now pretty pink and navy floral curtains, quilts and matching lamps are in my office and bedroom is guy-approved neutral!

to Mom2twoboyz - love the nuke sign idea! If you keep an eye on old buildings in your town, you may be able to snag a real vintage Fallout Shelter sign for them. My dad was renovating an old building and discovered one buried under several layers of paint. He chipped it out for me and we cleaned it up and it hangs in my office (with the pink flower curtains and pillows!).
Old 05-13-2002, 04:58 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Great idea! I'll keep my eyes open. Michael would be thrilled if I found something like that.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My own dd's room

My daughter is 6 now and I started this theme when she was 2. I didn't do just one Theme. I have used every thing girlie. I got a book shelf at Walmart that has five shelves and goes up to the ceiling. I used the bottome shelf for her toys, the second shelf for her books, the third for some cute stuffed animals and the top two (that she couldn't reach) for some of her collectible dolls and such other breakables. every thing is in pastel colors of the rainbow and even though there is not just one theme everyone who walks into her room loves it. I looked at yard sales and got a couple of cute baby dresses and hung them on baby wire hangers at first, and as my daughter has grown out of her favorite dresses I have let her des she wants to hang on the wall. She loves it that she is contributing. Target has a ton of home decorations at reasonable prices and you can find just about any wallpaper or border you can imagine at americanblindsandwallpaper.com
Old 06-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you all for the helpful tips , and information!! :)

Thank you all for the helpful tips , and information!!
Dh and I talked last night and he still thinks that we should wait a little longer on buying DD who is 2 now a big girl bed so that means no decorating her room yet!!
Oh Well I can wait and during the waiting I can get more ideas and save more money and time and I can organize her room more nicely!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 07-04-2002, 10:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oohh..this is a favorite topic of mine! I've got two girls, they are 3 and 18 months old. We just bought our 3 year old a big, big girl bed, four poster white washed twin sized bed and her lil sis is moving into the twin sized sailor's bed we bought a year ago(because it is so low to the ground). Our oldest dd's bed is in purples with purple sheets and a comforter with flowers that have white and purple in them. Our youngest dd has her bed in pink. We did no character bedding, because I wanted them to be able to grow in their room. I got flower shaped rugs in the color of their bedding to put in front of their beds, they have a wonderfully large closet with built in shelves, so we only have one dresser that they share. We are putting canopies of sheer white fabric to be hung from the ceiling over the beds and decorated with silk flowers to give their room a more dreamy touch. We are painting the walls a pale yellow and one wall will have a mural of fairies and the forest(their Dad is a good artist, thank goodness), and they have a set of table and chairs so that they can color and play on together. Their Dad is making wood hope chests for each one, to go at the end of their beds to house toys. We're also getting an armoire to hide their tv and stereo system in. All of their furniture, except for the tables will be able to follow them into becoming teens. I hope this helps.