Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question ISO bathroom ideas for small bathroom.

Okay I am wanting to remodel my bathroom by removing the wallpaper and painting the walls a sage color. Do you think this would be too dark for a small bathroom?? I was also thinking of removing the large mirror and getting some kind of frame for it or getting a smaller one framed for there. It has one sink/vanity area in one section then a door with another area with the shower stall and toilet. I was also thinking of stamping a couple of streaming dragonflies over the mirror....would this be cute or childish?

If so any other suggestions to match current accesories that has leaves and dragonflies on it with the colors of sage, violet, tan and off white.

TX Chef Fran
Old 05-24-2003, 08:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a very small bathroom too..just enough room for a toilet, bathtub, and very small sink. I got the bright idea to sponge paint the walls a dark peach over white walls... bad idea! A dark color makes small bathroom look smaller. So what I did was, I re-painted the walls a very light beige and I accessorised(sp?) with a darker violet color towells and rugs. Instead of putting up a border, which tends to bubble up from all the moisture, I am going to sponge paint my own border on the top near the ceiling. I just havent figured out what theme I am going with yet...maybe seashells. The dragonflies sound really cool! Hope that helped.. good luck!
Old 05-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

I have two small bathrooms, too. I wouldn't advise a dark colour for a small bathroom...at least not painting the entire thing in sage. Instead, use the sage colour on just one wall, or as an accent colour. The dragonflies sound cool - go for it!

~Melanie
Old 05-24-2003, 09:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

White opens up any room. So I would suggest you do white....and decorate in light colors... to keep it open.....

White on white with a little splash of color can be very refreshing.....as well as white with beige....it really opens up a room and also looks very restful. You can add a little vase with peach silk flowers.....or someother color..... *s*

here's some help

Go to:

www.bhg.com

In the search line type.... Decorating

When it takes you to another page, in the search line type: bathrooms.

You'll be pleasantly surprised at the info here.....they have slide shows and all kinds of ideas that are colorful for small bathrooms.

Putting a full wall mirror can open it up too...

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."

Last edited by Jeannie; 05-24-2003 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi,
We have a small bathroom too. We painted it a light blue in semi-gloss and it looks very nice and cheerful. We also have mirror tiles on the wall, but ready to get them down now.
Good luck in your choice of decorating your bathroom.
Petunia,
Old 05-24-2003, 09:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

small bathroom

Hi my bathroom is small also. I sponge painted it. Quite a few colors. bottom half yellows greens and blues and purples. Resembles grass and upper half about the same colors but more blues to resemble sky. Then I sponged, painted and stamped flowers birdhouses, trees and picket fences. and birds and bugs and nest on the wall. Really looks like you are outside. Everyone loves it. A few have asked me to do theres. I told them I would loan them the stuff, but it was to much like work for me to do again. lol. So you see I think your drangon flies would look great. Debbie
Old 05-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have to agree that the sage would be just a bit too dark, but how about white and using the sage, if you already bought it, by stamping a border and using it for your accents? In my itty bitty bathroom I peeled off the 20 year old wallpaper, painted it pristine white then sponge painted a mint green and lilac. I took the picture frame around a bath print off and also a little wooden knick knack holder (more for my perfumes) and spray painted it black then lightly speckled it a silver/aluminum color. It looks fantastic. I also took an oval mirror, took the mirror out of it and spray painted the plastic frame of it the same, black with silver/aluminum flecks. Wow, what a difference.

Good luck!

Lisa

PS I forgot to say, I like the dragonflies

Last edited by LisLynn18; 05-24-2003 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I really like the idea of the dragonflies. I don't think they would be childish, just whimsical and cheery. If you want the green color, how about a mint or just a tint of green in the white? My mom had just a bare touch of blue in white put in her dining room, it made it look clean and cool.
Have fun and if you make a mistake you can always redo! I need to get brave and do something to my dinky little bathroom. But I need to do it cheaply. So if anyone has ideas.......please please let me know.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Small Bathrooms

Boy am I familiar with small bathrooms. We own a 1000 square ranch home and the bathroom fits about 3 people. One for the shower, the toilet and the sink. I too painted my bathroom a medium shade of lime green. Turned out real pretty. I use different colors of bath towels to accent the walls and I found a real pretty laced shower curtain and used a beige liner to accentuate with. I got that at K Mart. Come to think of it, I got my colors at K Mart and the accessories to go with it. I am planning on tossing all of my old towels out and getting some yellows, greens and a rose color to accent our bathroom. Good luck. Sounds like fun.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What a GREAT idea about the dragonflies! I'm in a rental unit and not allowed to paint, etc. My bathroom is fairly small, although roomy enough for one person. The walls are painted throughout the entire apartment in a very light rosy beige -- I hated this color until recently -- would have desired a more OFF-WHITE... Anyway, I am beginning to appreciate that the paint that's here is actually quite neutral and versatile--it's 'warm' enough that I can live with it! My apartment owner had selected the PERFECT shower curtain to go with the gray fixtures, beige floor, and rust counter top... if you can imagine! Anyway, the shower curtain was a floral print that picked up all those colors and allowed me to use a burgundy throw rug, and a pink bathmat and looked GREAT!

However, I have been BORED with it for awhile -- nice for little-old-ladies, I suppose, but I still have a lot of 'youth' and enjoy much whimsy... My son had given me a bunch of really NICE shells that I had displayed in the bathroom, and the grandkids had left some really colorful, detailed lizards here. I'm sure they came from one of those cheap little packages that you find in the toy department. They're all different, many assorted colors, some whimsical--one turquoise... I LOVE it!!! I placed those on some of the shells, and it just 'lightens up' the bathroom greatly!

Still, the shower curtain was starting to 'get to me' so I dug out the COLORFUL curtain that I had in my house -- it has brightly colored tropical fish, and so many BRIGHT colors that it simply PERKS ME UP!!! I hung that this week, and now all my shells stand out with the nautical theme! I LOVE going into my bathroom now! Amazingly, with this curtain there were subtle shades of gray, beige and rust (?) that blend quite well, but with the added advantage of being able to use some of my brighter towels, including yellow! Wild, huh??

I'm not sure if my decorator sister would approve, but I think she'd say it is GREAT for me!

Oh, BTW, I had a couple of lizards left over, so I put them in my fruit bowl that sits on the counter for a little shock effect!
I'm so far behind, I'll live forever!