Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-28-2003, 01:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

small bathroom

Hi! I really feel, if your bathroom has a window that lets in lots of light, and you have white bath fixtures, and white trim,you can get away with the sage paint. Our living room is only 12x18, and because it has a big bay window, I painted the walls a deep rich darker blue, and have white woodwork. Everyone loves it! I think you could use lots of white accesories, such as white wicker. I just did a neat thing in our bath...I screwed wicker baskets w/handles to the wall for storage. This is how I did it. I placed the bottom of the basket against the wall, and using a couple screws with washer for each, (so the screw doesn't go clear thru the wicker), fasten it to the wall, with the handle facing out. The one big one is above the bath towel bars, and I rolled our colorful washclothes up and laid them in it. The handle can serve as an extra 'towel bar' when company comes. The much smaller basket, I screwed to the wall beside the sink, put a cute bird & bird nest inside it; and the handle serves as a towel bar for our hand towel! If your walls are the darker sage color (or whatever), spray paint your baskets white, and with lots of bright, colorful washclothes it will perk the walls up so much. But, I would certainly consider having lots of big mirrors. In our main bath, our one linen closet has floor to ceiling mirrors on it, plus big mirror over the sink; with nice big lights above the sink as well as a ceiling light in front of the tub area. Also, our 1/2 bath, connected to our master bedroom I painted a deep green, same as the bedroom. But, with the window bringing in lots of light, as well as white woodwork, it looks very rich and homey. Dont be afraid of color hon....it's your house...if YOU like it, then do it. After all, you can always paint over it later! This is your bravery test...go for it; and God bless!
Old 05-28-2003, 02:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I like dark colours!

Our whole house is a light tan colour - living rm, hallways, stairways, basement, but then we did some of our closed off rooms (bathrooms, bedroom, dining room) in other colours. Our dining room is a dark eggplant which I love. One of our bathrooms is dark green and the other 2 bathrooms are white. The dark green is too dark for that room- dust and streak marks etc show up on it. The white bathrooms are the worst - every hair and spec of dirt show up. I would prefer a medium colour in which sage is perfect! I agree with 3cmommy, dark can look classy. Depends on your personality and the look you're going for.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

hapiladi I love the wicker basket idea. I may try that as well. I currently have a cabinet over the toilet that is just to high up and too bulky. I think I could take that out and put a large wicker type shelf that I could put a fake ivy on top of that way us "squatty" people could reach the towels without standingon the toilet!!
I can reach the bottom shelf if I stand on my toes! The top shelf, forget it I can not even reach standing on the toilet.

The vaqnity section does already have a huge mirror which reflects light off well lit bedrooms and hallway adn there is a very small window in the shower! had never seen a window in a shower until this house (both bathrooms with showers have them) It is about 1 foot tall and the length of the bathtub. It is frosted and even opens (but I don't open it because it has no screen and I don't want a bird or bugs in my bathroom)

I am just going to do it. I am waiting to get some film, hopefully this weekend so I can take some before pictures before I start. i will them so you guys can see my progress.

TX Chef Fran
Old 05-29-2003, 07:03 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tx Chef Fran,

Have a blast doing it! I just garbage picked a white wicker shelfing unit, two shelves, it was country blue, I spray painted it white (I'm out of black) and then took the last of the aluminum spray and flecked it with the aluminum. It's now mounted opposite the commode on the wall with towels, face clothes and hand towels for those lovely people in my house that step in the shower and forget their towel!
Old 05-29-2003, 09:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

To answer Fran's question.... I think sage green is a GREAT color for a small bathroom and definitely not too dark. I've been into decorating for a long time and it is a big passion of mine. I've watched a lot of Christopher Lowell who is famous for saying, "NO WHITE WALLS" and they use a lot of dark colors, even in small spaces. We have one bathroom that has a small vanity, toilet and tub at the end and that is about it for space! Everyone seems afraid of dark colors. Well, I got daring and painted it eggplant--yes, purple!! Mixed some glaze in the paint and painted all the way around the room. Then I painted the ceiling lavendar and came down with the lavendar about four inches down the wall. Then I put a nice, rich border up that has flowers in shades of sage green, purple, lavendars, white, etc. Also, I hung sheer dark purple curtains for the tub curtains. Do you want to know what people's reactions to the room has been? Ask LadyLyn--she saw it. Everyone but my son-in-law (who hates dark and purple) says it is stunning. Rugs are out of a couple different shades of the green. The towel bar has white glass and chrome. I've put up some nice accessores, pictures, shelves, etc. to add interest. I don't feel the dark makes the room look any smaller. The room has a half-circle window above the tub, and that is all the light that comes into the room. But with good lighting, the room is really nice. I say, "Break all the rules, and you might be surprised how nice it looks....well, with good taste, of course!"
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Last edited by SeattleLadyJudi; 05-29-2003 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks SeattleLadyJudy and everyone else for your support and ideas. I will keep reading any post for ideas as I start my project.....more to come as the stages start.

TX Chef Fran
Old 05-29-2003, 10:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

Welcome, SeattleLadyJudi !!!!!!!!! So glad to see you show up here and to have your input and description of that absolutely beautiful, knock-'em-dead gorgeous BATHROOM in eggplant, sage & white! Yes, gals, SLJ is a top-class decorator, and this bathroom was very pleasing to use when I visited last October. Made me feel that I was in a very luxurious environment!

BTW, we are sisters!
Love you, Judi!
I'm so far behind, I'll live forever!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

dragonfly bathroom

i think your idea of sage color might be a really good one. sometimes color surprises us! a border with predominately cream in it would help lighten things. i also like the idea of the dragonflies!
Old 10-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

UPDATE!!

Okay my idea never got off the ground and we decided to move!!!!!!!! LOL. BUT I do plan to do the same thing in the new house. It is a fixer up so it will do great!! There is a skiny logn window over the shower that lets in the West morning Sun so I don't have any doubts about it being too dark. I can not wait!

The bad thing... (or good) is now I have a WHOLE HOUSE to redo!!!!!!! Excited and already tired thinking about it!! LOL.

BTW My master bath is going to be an island paradise with pale blue adn white ragged walls, seashells, sand seahorses and white wicker shelves. I want clean, simple and relaxing. It has a garden tub in the corner with windows on both walls so I will have a fern over the tub or something.

TX Chef Fran
Old 10-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

How fun! Now you have a whole house to do. I would love to do my house, it needs it, just need money.
Good luck and have fun.