Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Ideas for Outhouse Themed Bathroom

We have a very small bathroom and Im planning to frugally re-decorate it. I want to use an Outhouse theme in it.

We are planning on replacing the vanity sink w/ a pedistal sink. The sink, toilet & tub are all white. Im planning on painting the walls green......kind of country green but not as dark as hunter....hard to describe. All of the trim will be white.

There will be one wall that I can add decorations to ......any ideas ? How about ideas for a shower curtain ?

Above the sink, There will be a white framed mirror and above the toilet, a white medicine type cabinet.

Im looking for frugal accents for all over the room. I have a light switch plate and a fan switch plate which I was thinking of replacing with outhouse plates. There is a small area above the shower curtain....maybe a shelf ? Im stuck on ideas for such a small space.

Thanks for any ideas !!
Old 04-29-2002, 10:01 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Tami,

Hey there! How about a crescent moon hangey thingey on the door? Can't wait to hear what you come up with.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-29-2002, 10:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

How about a forest themed Shower curtain... you can always make one if you can't find one.

Paint the ceiling with either clouds or stars. You can hang some butterflies from the ceiling too!.

I will have to think more about it and will get back to you.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I once saw a really darling wallpaper border at a wallpaper outlet store that had outhouses. It was so great!
Old 04-30-2002, 11:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I love doing themed rooms. You can just go nuts! How about tree branches for towel bars and a toilet paper hanger? And if you're not totally set on the pedistal sink, you could use one of those wood grain tools and paint the vanity with it. The green paint sounds good, but you could the wood grain tool on the trim and the white mirror. Then you would have that "rustic" look of an outhouse. The wood grain tools can be found out the home improvemnt stores and you can choose any color for the wood grain. i.e., go as dark or as light as you want.
I love Shawn's idea for painting the ceiling. And if you can't find a shower curtain look at sheets. A flat, full size sheet will fit a bathtub. AND you could use another tree branch for the shower curtain rod. I would attach it (hot glue it) to the actual rod just for the look. Then hang the shower curtain over the branch and rod.
Good luck!
Old 04-30-2002, 11:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

You read my mind for the tree branch on the shower curtain. I love the idea of using the wood grain tool on the trim too ! The sink has to go because it is too big for the room. The previous owners added it for some unknown reason and you have to squeeze past it to get into the room. DH said "No way" to painting the ceiling. Im already painting clouds in my sons room and he said enough is enough, LOL !

Ive seen insect and butterfly candle holders that are meant for outside decorating but Im thinking of buying them for in there. I love candles and this way I could burn them without worrying about them falling. They attach to the wall.

I also love the cresent moon idea on the door ! Now to think of a way to use it there without cutting a hole in the door.....dont think that would fly around here either ! ;-)

Keep the ideas coming !! Thanks so much, Tami
Old 04-30-2002, 01:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb Hmmm

Several years ago my mom actually had a toilet seat and cover that looked like old wood...bet if you got on the web you could find one!

How about a basket of corn cobs!

Or maybe an old Sears catalog...I know you can buy the replicas of original catalogs!
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 04-30-2002, 02:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Tree branches, clouds and stars on the celing, and all the other ideas are great. But what I remember about sitting in the "outside Loo" was the board walls, all painted white. and reading the catalogues ( Eaton's) here. Oh, yes in summer the, uhmph, well to put it politely aroma! But I don't think you want that particular item in your bathroom.LOL
Old 04-30-2002, 08:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Grandma Annie, You crack me up !! I think we can skip that aroma .....theres enough already when Dh is finished in there ! : ( Good thing he doesnt look at this site, hee hee) HHHMMMMM what kind of scent should I use in there ? I absolutely hate the smell of pine so that is out ! Flowers ? Grass ? ( Can we say allergies LOL !)

Rosmith, Love that corn cob idea !! For a funny, I could put some of the little decorative ones in a little bucket and attach a note like.....emergency toilet paper

I remember hearing so many stories about that ol' Sears catalog too !!

This is going to be a fun run when WE ( all of us on here) are finished decorating it !!
Old 04-30-2002, 08:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Outhouse bath

Hey, you can still find those wooden toilet seats, brand new! Maybe you cold make one out of the tree branches!!