Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Home Decorating & Repair > Decorating - Basement

Old 07-12-2002, 05:04 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

huge basement room - family, craft and bedroom

Hi - we're getting ready to move into a new house, not one we bought, but staff housing..........it's still bigger than where we are now - HURRAY
Anyway........my problem is this, how do I turn a large room, it's kind of "L" shaped into a comfortable place for the little kids to play, a place to watch TV, a craft room and a sort of spare bedroom all put together.
I am thinking about putting a dividing screen on the short part of the "L" and making that the bedroom/craft room. Any ideas on how to combine those two??
I'm open to any and all suggestions or questions.
Thanks for your help
Old 07-12-2002, 08:13 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Have you considered making it more like a studio apartment? So instead of sectioning off the room, use a sofa sleeper so the bed won't take up too much room. Maybe a folding table for the crafts and shelves and containers to keep your supplies organized.

This way the kids can still watch TV sitting on the sofa, but if you need a bed you can just pull it out. Heck it might make a fun campout for your kids once in a while! LOL

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 07-13-2002, 02:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I just saw this done on Trading Spaces and it turned out adorable.

I love Amandas idea of a sleeper sofa but if you want something more den-y, why not use a trundle bed (Daybed).

Also if you do need a seperate room, use the smaller part of the "L" to accomodate that room. You can put up sheleves for buy them (pretty cheap) and place bins on them for storage. This is also an alternative to having a dresser drawer set.

A divider is always a good choice but depending on the age of the child why not use beads. Or you can have curtains or a nice matching sheet. Have tie backs for when you want an openlook and then release the ties at bedtime.

In the open area, you can place a a desk with a few shevles. Place all the craft items in the desk while you have the toys, etc on the shelves.

If you have a coffee table, that you don't mind messing up, spray it with Chalkboard paint so the children have a place to chalk that can be erased without any fuss.

Get some colorful bins to put thpugh out the room for storage as well.

There are so many fun things you can do.

BTW, what are the ages of the children going in this room?
Old 07-13-2002, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle What great ideas Shawn

Makes me wish I was moving to a place large enough to have a basement to use like that. Instead we are downsizing and moving to a townhouse retirement community (I think - don't have one yet) So I will need to figure out how to make our furniture to fit into a much smaller place,

I can hardly wait til we are making the actual move

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 07-14-2002, 04:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Changing Space

I'm with Shawn. There are so many things you could do with that space. My suggestion would be to watch Trading Spaces. I love that show. Get onto their web site and you can check out past episodes. Or watch it on HGTV Sat. night @ 8pm or Sun 12 noon. They have been having repeats, so your bound to catch the basement ones. Or if you have a close friend who needs a room make over too and lives next to you. You can fill out their on line application and see if you can get picked to have them do your room over. It doesn't cost you a thing except two days to re-do your friends room while their doing yours. After construction on my house is done. My friends and I are going to apply. Worse comes to worse and you don't like what they did, then you use the $ you where going to in the first place and re-do the room/space the way you want. To me this is a win win situation.
Or if thats not your thing, check out some magazines for ideas. Rip out things you like and put them on the wall in the basement to look at them and continplate if it's what you really like before you do it. Let me know how things work out.

Tammy
Old 07-14-2002, 05:27 PM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for the ideas !!
My daughter will be 2 in August and I babysit an 18 month old, then hopefully in 10/11 months we'll have a newborn, husband and I are ready for #2.
Thanks again for the ideas............I wish Frank would come do my basement. I love his stuff!!
Old 07-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Iworth,

Let me put my two cents worth in. Instead of a day bed or a sofa sleeper, have you thought of a futon. They can be set like a couch or can be let down into a bed. To me, they are more comfortable than the sleepers I've had to endure. Good luck with your venture.

Linda
Old 07-18-2002, 01:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

A futon is also a good choice. But remember a day bed uses a regular twin size mattress so that can also be comfortable.

Now sleeper sofas are a whole other story they can be horrible...
Old 07-18-2002, 05:22 AM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Futon

I like the futon idea...........now if only I could find a used one for sale somewhere in the Western part of NC...
Don't suppose any of you live close by ??? ;-)