Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Home Decorating & Repair > Decorating - Basement

Old 07-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Any laundry area ideas??

Laundry room/area
My laundry is at the end of one side of our double garage, so when hubbys car is parked it is about 2mX3m. I am looking for some good storage basket sorting ideas that work for you and may be able to be adapted for my laundry.
I have a sink beside the outside door with a top loading washing machine and a 1/2 cupboard then the door that goes into the house. A couple of overhead cupboards
Do you find it easier to sort the washing before taking to the laundry or after? Do the kids have laundry baskets in their rooms or the bathroom?

Old 07-12-2006, 02:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My kids each have a collapsible hamper with a bag that comes off for their dirty laundry. I can take the whole bag if I want or just dump it into a basket.

My laundry is in the basement. I have 3 bins down there, one for white, one for colored items I don't want in the dryer and one for things that can go in the dryer. When a bin is full I wash that load.

I don't know if you have that kind of space in your garage....
Old 07-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Mystery Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My washer/dryer are in my kitchen so I sort clothes out by the load in the bedrooms and only bring one load in at a time. Each bedroom has a laundry bin as does the bathroom for towels.

I don't like the loss of cabinets nor the noise as the living room is off the kitchen but it is convenient having it right there.

Can You Guess?

To return to the Guess Who Game or learn how to play this fun game click here!

Who is our Mystery Guest this week? Take a guess!
click here to submit your guess!
Please remember to submit only one guess per day. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Since I have no extra room in my house, the kids have a tub for dirty clothes, we have one in our room and I have one in the laundry/bathroom for towels.

I sort the clothes in the hallway after collecting the baskets. Once sorted, I used these same tubs to hold the dirty clothes until I wash them. As I wash and fold, the clothes go back into the respective tubs and then get put away that day. They then keep the tub for dirty clothes again.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm trying to decide if changing my laundry habits/organising habits will make more room and make it easier.

If I can fit in sorting baskets and do a load when ithe basket is full like Barbzy, not sure if I have the room but it would sure make things easier.
We are not a basement nation LOL, my last house had a laundry room so I could spread out this one is so much smaller and if I have stuff sorted at the moment I have to tidy it up so hubby can fit in his car...... although it seems I have more room than Tami.

Guess who my mum is getting her new wash machine and dryer in her kitchen, not sure how she will like that but she is only 1 person so can't be to much washing.

Usually when others have habits that work these are best to learn off. I'm happy to learn.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kathy we have a small calico hamper on a wooden frame that has three pockets in it. This workd for towels, lights and darks. Dh and I have a large plastic hamper with two removable bags in our robe ~ one lights one darks. The kids have a small tub each (like a wastepaper basket) and are supposed to bring their stuff to the laundry every couple of days and put in the right pocket in the laundry.
Try Howards Storage World or PLastics Unlimited for good laundry hampers.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We sort in my bedroom. All the laundry of the house goes into one of four plastic baskets: whites, colors, towels, or jeans. The baskets are located under my bedroom window. I take baskets down to the laundry room as needed. I sort on my bed, it is queen sized. The kids do not have hampers in their rooms for dirty clothes but for clean ones since I no longer put their clean things in their drawers. They seem to keep up with emptying the clean hampers.

My laundry is a room in the basement that is 7 feet x 10 feet. It has an upright freezer that is 28 cu ft, a side by side front loading washer and dryer, a double tub sink which could be just one tub for as much as we use it, a tall skinny metal shelf unit for supplies, and in an alcove is the water heater. Behind the door are 8 folding chairs and a bin full of light bulbs.

The best part of the laundry room is that it is bright and clean. I put in self stick vinyl tiles on the floor, painted the walls a bright white, and dh mounted an overhead double tubed fluorescent fixture in which we put natural daylight bulbs so it is like being outside.

On top of my washer and dryer I put Rubbermaid suction cup mats like the kind you put in bath tubs. That way I can put things on the metal without scratching it. I keep the detergent and a candle on the dryer and put the wet clothes that need to be hung up on the washer top temporarily until I am done loading the dryer.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 07-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Food .... or laundry for thought, I'm still working on how best to make my laundry habits better.
I have seen Meg, a Howards store somewhere in my travels not sure where so will, I think look out for that 3 in one bag/basket thingy as it's the small loads of colours that I find hard to keep separate then not forget about when more is added.
I did last year paint the garage laundry a nice light grey and added some nice tiles around the sink, I have a hand rail above the sink but might add a few suction cup hooks.

Last edited by Bilby; 07-16-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Are you anywhere Logan? The Hyperdome Shopping Centre has a Howards Store listed as the closest to you.
I was in Howards on Saturday and they have some excellent laundry storage ideas. They don't have these things listed in their on line catalogue!
Old 07-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Meg, Yes we are about 20-25 mins away form the Hyperdome, i'ts a place we don't visit often and probably where I saw the sign but couldn't remember where last time. Its one of those wonderful shopping centres that you need a packed lunch to get from one end to the other, all on one level and about 1km long with lots of side alleys.
I'm going to see if they have a www to visit.
Thank you all for your input it's much appreciated.