Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Heck yes, I know I do. I try and find reasonable things to do for fun. We have gotten back in the habit of pot luck meals with friends, card games with popcorn and bring your own drink, stuff like that. I also give us each a little money to blow each month. That really helps

Old 05-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Those are great ideas! I would love to hear more on how people save $$$!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I do know we take advantage of just about any free activity we can find. I found out the art museum has free admission on Saturday mornings from 9-12 so we went there and spent almost the whole day. In the summer one of the local parks has free concerts every Sunday evening. Our local high school shows a free movie on the lawn every Friday night in the summer weather permitting (mostly kids movies but great for families with young children) You just need to bring a blanket or lawn chair and snacks. On Father's Day in NH, all the local state parks and attractions offer free admissions so we have gone to several state parks over the years for hiking etc. In the summer we go to the local beach or hike all the trails in our area. In winter we borrow movies from the library, pop popcorn and watch them on a Saturday night. There is also an old time fair that has free admission in August (it has black smithing, antiques, crafts, animals, etc.)

~Mother Theresa

Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tired of Debt Reduction

Me too. We have so many medical bills (and they vary greatly). So much so that my husband has to work two jobs. We are forever behind on bills, and every once in a while I will get mad about it and we will just go have a fun night (still keep it cheap) we know where the deals at restaurants are, coupons, BOGO deals are on certain nights. Everyone needs to splurge every once in a while.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Great thread!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I try to cut expenses so eatin out 1 x a wk is ok, heat turned back to 68 and throws , blankets or hoodies available to warm up if sittin around, i dont use dryer at all (actually threw ours out after 30 yrs it was shot) i dry on racks over heat vents or on line yr round, it takes 2 days to dry outside but its still dry, small things add up, my husband likes breakfast out but i dont so he goes alone to buffet at ruritan n meets friends, no use payin if i dont like it, bilss arrrgghhh, i hav pd on highest int rate 1 st but basically i just keep eye on the end, i just kno it ll get there someday
Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

For the first time in over 20 years I am almost debt free. I own about $50 on my Kohl's card and a year more on my student loans and that's it. My dh pays our mortgage and owes a bit on his credit cards). I am able to pay my bills on time though have to admit there isn't a whole lot left over at the end of the month. I do try to save what I can. I have been very frugal over the past year not buying books but using the library, not going to the movies every week but using Netflix (which is $9 a month but I can watch 4 movies for the price of one movie theater admission). This year I am going to try to cut down on eating out. I also want to stop buying clothes unless absolutely necessary. I just have too much stuff so want to get rid of it.

~Mother Theresa