Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-03-2003, 07:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

A problem child

You probaly already read my posting about "Getting Rid of Germs" and I feel I am doing all that I possibly can with getting rid of the germs. Here is my current situation. I have a 2yr old in my care. He started a few months ago. Every day he has had a runny nose. Well now it's more serious. He came to daycare with Strep Throat. He wasn't running a fever & he probaly had it for over a week. Now my 8 month old daughter along with my 3yr. old son & 2 other daycare children have it. I am wore down myself, I have been continually cleaning for the last week.

Upon talking with this boy's mom, she says he deals with strep throat, croup & pneumonia every winter. I am looking for other opinions on what to do. I'm thinking I should give her notice that I cannot continue taking care of him. I feel bad doing this. We have up to this point never had to deal with anything more serious than the common cold in daycare. Have we just been very lucky & I'm being too picky or should we let this child go?

Please help! What would you do?
Old 02-08-2003, 01:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had the exact same problem last year when i sat for a 2 yr old. I watched him for over a year and I swear this boy was sick just about every day that i had him!!! His nose ran green every single day and he coughed so much that it woke him up from his naps. I tried hinting around to his parents without being rude, but they always just shrugged it off as teething or just a cold. But he was sick all the time...and the ironic thing was that his mother was a nurse!!!! One day he came over and I noticed his neck had a lump on each side. I called his mother, she came and took him to the pediatricain and his glands were the size of lemons.. she of couse said it was no big deal. Well I delt with this for quite a long time and thankfully she decided to put him in a daycare so I was off the hook. I did need the money so thats why I stuck with it for so long. I have done day care on and off for the past 10 years and i tell you this...never again. My kids are in school full time and I am getting a real job and I cant wait! I love kids, but I do enjoy having my 6 hrs without them during the day. My advise is, if you have other kids that you care forrrr, and you wont miss the money, give the parents 2 weeks notice and tell them that its just too much for you. Your sanity and health will be worth it in the long run. GOOD LUCK
Old 02-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

this is my take on it. if he was in a formal daycare center, he would not be allowed to come with strep throat. they don't want it going through the whole daycare. most places won't keep a child with a fever at all. even if he's not running a fever he still has strep throat and could pass it along to others. his parents need to find someone to take care of him at home. if this is something he deals with every winter, they should have told you so BEFORE you started watching him for them and BEFORE he came down with it this winter. i would tell them they have 2 weeks to find someone else to care for him. if he is still sick with strep i would tell them they need someone else to take care of him now as he is making others in your house sick.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I think you should inquire at some of the area schools on what their sick child policys are. At our preschool if kids have a temp of 100.0 or higher or have a continuing cough or persistant runny nose etc they have to bring a doctors note that it's OK for them to be there.
I think having sick kids in daycare/preschool is a common thing. Unless you plan to home school when kids enter into public schools they are exposed to so many things and bring home some many things especailly at the begining of the year when they all are introduced to each other and new germs.
Wash those hands often and use a good germicide to clean with.
You might want to consider a vitamin program for your kids as well.
Good Luck! Robin in NC
Old 02-08-2003, 02:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Said simply, don't take the child as long as he is sick. It would be different if it was just the one child, but when there are others they shouldn't be put at risk of getting sick also. I used to work in a Montessori and we would not take a child back to school without a doctor's note or our nurse evaluated and said that it's not contagious.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

better to piss of one parent than to have all the parents pissed off that you let the kid stay there and he got their kid got sick.

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 02-08-2003, 07:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

thank you, thank you, thank you

I really appreciate everyone's input on this. This has really been bothering me all week. This child did not have a fever when in my care. I had no idea it was more severe than a runny nose. I ended up spending my whole weeks pay for this child on doctor visits. Once it hit my infant daughter, I was up most of every night this week with her. And lastly my hands are cracked & burnt from the bleach solution my doctor told me to use all week. I have decided to let him go. Now I can't figure out how I want to tell the parents. I was gonna tell them we are moving, all except, they are my neighbors (he, he). I guess that will not work. I'm such a wimp about these things. I will be professional & type up a letter to give them. If I don't let him go, I take the risk of losing other (healthier) children. Thanks again everyone for your valuable feedback.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am a child care provider of 5 years! I feel for you cause I have dealt with the same thing with sick kids. The best advice I can give is WASH HANDS!!!!! At the minumum of before/after meals and after going to bathroom. We also always wash after returning from outside, preschool or school as soon as we walk in the door! Don't forget to wash your hands after sneezing, coughing or wiping someones nose!

We are going to get sick no matter what, but anything you can do as far as cleaning will greatly help. Oh, don't forget to wear rubber gloves when using bleach! I have dealt with a very similiar situation in the past with a severe runny nose all the time.....the child ended up being diagnosed with bad allergies to several things.

Myself, husband and 2 kids all dealt with strep throat over Thanksgiving. It was very unpleasant! I got it first - went to dr. and got negative test...2 days later I knew there had to be something wrong cause my throat contined to get worse....sure enough I had it. About the same time my husband had sore throat and oldest son, age 5 had a runny nose.....took them both and they had it. Oldest son had no complaints, we only took him cause the runny nose. Our youngest who was 21 months at the time had absolutely no complaints, so we were very surprised for him to have it! No one else ended up getting it!!!!!

I would very much suggest that you have some sort of sick policy in your contract! I do not accept kids with severe runny nose, cough, fever over 100, vomiting or diarehea, etc. If they are sick and go on antibiotic they need treated for 24 hours before coming back, this also goes for fever...must stay home until fever is gone for aprox. 24 hrs. I also request that if child has symptoms that do not require a dr. visit that they bring the appropriate over the counter medications to help ease the childs symptoms during the day...ie cold medications, tylenol etc. I do not think kids should be over medicated, but if they are not feeling well they do need something to try and help them feel better, and make your job a little easier!

Hope it went smooth for you if you decided to let the child go. Good luck with setting sick policy and sticking to it....sticking to it can be the hardest part cause someone always wants to bend the rules!

Oh, 1 more thing that is very contagious is pink eye! I had 2 dc kids with it...none of the others or my family got it! It was going around in our area though real bad for a couple months. I have a friend that does dc and they all had it at her house including her family!

If there is 1 thing that I have definately learned that is being a daycare provider is a very REAL JOB!!!! We are not "babysitters" we are professionals and this job requires a very special person to be able to handle the ups and downs! You are a very important person in these childrens lives!

If you decide to hang in there and not let him go....GOOD LUCK! It will get better.

Last edited by mjsjtjcj; 02-08-2003 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

sick children in daycare

I run a public school latch key program. So many times parents, (not all but some) bring in their kids because they can't miss work, etc. These kids tell me how awful they feel, they were throwing up the night before, etc. Right now, there are many staff and children out with the flu. Our policy is if they have any fever, are sick to their stomachs, have a severe cough, or are feeling so bad they just can't function in school, I call the parents. As a private daycare owner, YOU set the rules. You really have to consider the overall welfare of all of the children and staff involved. Have a written policy for illness posted for parents to read and include it in your registration packet, and have parents sign it when they register. I truly sympathize with parents and the spots they are put in, but these are their children we are talking about. I'm sure you will be able to replace the child' spot, as I think parents of preschoolers do prefer a home enviroment. Good Luck and I hope it works out well for you!
Old 02-09-2003, 07:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

You are in business, the kid business. This is a "REAL" job, and boy is it work! My hats off to you. What the child needs is TLC from his parents. You are responsible for the health of your charges. Your business suffers when they are not there, and suffers when the other parents get "sick" of their child getting sick at your home. It may sound cold but strep is hard to get rid of. Kids are the worst for washing hands, everything goes in their mouths and they share! Sit down and write your policies, ie sick kids, absentee policy, late fees, after hour charges, etc. Provide a copy to each parent, have them sign a note that says they read it and stick to it. This should cut down your liability. A bleach formula to disinfect the toys, dishes, anything the kids are touching can help kill these germ bugs. It's more work but in the long run you won't lose so much in income from missing children, and the child with strep may ultimately get well!