Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Daycare Providers & Preschool Teachers

Old 01-29-2003, 11:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

How do we get rid of GERMS?

Hi
Daycare's are often refered to as a breeding ground for germs. I guess I hate to agree with them. It just seems as if one child always has a runny nose. Especially during the winter months. I do all I can to help keep things clean. We use antibacterial soaps & wash our hands often. I chemically clean the tables. I wash toys either by hand or in the dishwasher as often as possible. What else can I do???
Old 02-01-2003, 01:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Daycare Germs

I use to teach preschool and our company told us to have everyone, and I mean everyone, who walked into the class wash their hands upon entering. I had only 3 children out with colds that year compared to about 15 out of the 22 I taught out the year before. Some of the parents were offended, but I told them it makes a huge difference when everyone does it and that stopped the complaining! It really worked. I now have my family do it at home. Everyone knows most people do not wash their hands properly especially after going to the bathroom, so that right there spreads germs and you or I touch what they have touched and the germs just keep spreading.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Disinfecting often is important to reduce the spread of germs! I also liked the idea for everyone to wash their hands as the come it! It DOES work!

Other ideas:

Use paper towels for hand drying.

Air out the space as often as possible. The warm, stagnant air can keeps germs around. One of the reasons we get sick less in the summer is that we are not locked into a space with "sick" air. Freshening up when you can should help.

After hand washing use a lotion to keep skin healthy. Broken skin can help germs get in.

Have a healthy diet with a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Good nutrition helps your body keep germs at bay!

My daycare kids each have their own cup. They always get the same one so even the toddlers know which is theirs. No confusion reduces accidentally sipping from another's cup. I clean them with a little bleach in the dish water or sanitize in the dishwasher.

I hope these are helpful!

Colleen

Old 02-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Not only in daycares but preschools and schools etc have a major germ explosion.
First I would not recommend antibacterial soap. Along with the bad germs germs it also kills the good mantle of the skin. Washing thoroughly with regular soap and water will do the same. After a time you can build up a resistance to those germs as well. But wash those hands often!
At the risk of sounding like a commercail I can tell you what Oprah recommends! I personally did a little test of my own to see if this helped. I provided my kids teachers with a brand of germicide that was safe around the kids and had no harmful chemical
side effects like chlorine bleach, Lysol, etc have. I didn't want my kids breathing this stuff. I have a son who is Bipolar and is very sensitive to these types of things. I also had them use an air purification system for a few weeks. The teachers told me that the occurance of illness dropped and the duration of illness also dropped. I don't want to SPAM but if you are interested in knowing what I had them use please contact privately. [email protected]
In addition to the above I'd say make sure they use kleenex only once and throw it away. Use disposibles as much as possible although it is a higher cost to you and the environment.
Make sure if they take naps that the linens are changed frequently. If they sneeze or wipe their little noses on the sheets
that could harbor germs. Make sure you wash door knobs
and handles.
Good Luck,
Robin in NC
Old 02-02-2003, 01:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow, it sounds like you do a lot in your daycare to guard the health of your daycare kiddies. All the ideas offered here are great and what I do at home. I think the only thing I can offer to the list of wonderful ideas is that: our daycare provider wears latex gloves when changing infants (changes her gloves with each child). After each child she uses an industrial cleaner to wipe down all areas before changing the next child. The other thing is hand washing, I read and heard singing "Happy birthday" or "old MacDonald" one verse of either is the length of time to wash yur hands to suffienctly kill the germs on hands.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I would be very careful with all those commercial cleaners you are using. They can prove to be more damaging than helpful, especially a child that is prone to allergies/asthma. My daughter is like this. I can only use Vinegar to clean things. I am not saying that you should do this, but don't use it around the children when you do. Keep things well ventilated...get your ducts cleaned out, maybe an air purifier would help. Children this age will get an average of 15-25 colds a year. It is normal for them to begin building up a resistance to colds. Don't over clean....there is enough pollution in our environment as it is!
Old 02-02-2003, 05:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow, thanks everyone!

These are some great ideas. I am so thankful for all the ideas. I also forgot to mention that running a humidifier (which I do) helps. I seen that on the news. I believe it keeps their nasal cavity from drying out & letting germs in that way.

Update:
I have had a sick 2 yr. old in daycare. Thought it was just a runny nose. Turns out he has strep throat. The next day two more of the kids went into the doctor with it. Now my infant daughter has it

Doctor says to clean all the toys with a 1:10 bleach solution.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We sing the Alphabet Song while hand washing! I surprised a one and a half year old's mom when she came home singing the entire song!

I also keep the cool mist humidifier going all the time. In addition to keeping moisture in the air it drowns out some of the noise so it is easier for the little ones to sleep!

Colleen

Old 02-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Just be careful with that humidifier Colleen. ALthough it is cool mist, it can still produce mold. I would check with the children's parents to see if they are mold sensative or have allergies related to that. I used to run one all the time, but have stopped after learning that cool mist is just as dangerous.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I use the warm mist, with the ultra violet light kill feature, I also use a de humidifer(100% humidity in MD) Suprisingly they do not cancel each other out.