Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 11-07-2002, 07:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Sharing monthly curriculum Ideas

I am a home daycare provider for children ages 10months to 5 years.
I am interested in sharing and brainstorming on monthly curriculum ideas with other home daycare providers.
This month we are focusing on giving and helping others, and the changing of the seasons )mostly on the leaves changing color and falling from the tree).
We are learning about the letters T & U, the color black, the shape oval, and reviewing numbers 1-5.
We will be making a "gorp" like recipe that has an American Blessing attached to it to explaine what each item of the recipe represents and giving it to friends and neighbors. We will be going on nature walks and collecting leaves to make collages, leaf rubbings and to paint with.
Nov. 18th is National Games day so during craft time before that day we will be making homemade puzzles and memory games and using household items to make up games to play.
Nov 21st is World Hello day http://www.worldhelloday.org/index2.html
so we will be making cards to give to friends that we haven't met before (I am organizing a trade with other daycare providers in my area) In the card we will a copy of "Hello" poem that say hello in different languages. http://www.atozkidsstuff.com/hello.html

So those are just a few of the things and ideas we are using this month and now I am ready to plan for the month of December.
The outline that I follow uses the following color, number(s), letter(s), and shape
gray, review 6-10, L & J, triangle
I plan to also include a review of colors red & green and the star shape. Can't imagine doing a December theme that didn't include those colors and shape .

Okay, I hope this gets some ideas flowing and look forward to hearing what others are doing this month and have planned for next month.

Taking one day at a time and enjoying the view of the world through the eyes of all my children.
And stopping the smell the roses.
Old 11-09-2002, 01:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm way past this in my life now, but when i was doing it, I had a similar approach to your's.

One thing I did for the letter T was have a Take-apart Tool Table. I had a sandbox table and i emptied out the sand for that month. I put small items destined for the trash, like a non-working telephone, a dead alarm clock, etc., and put them on the table with a few simple tools, such as screwdrivers, hammer, pliers. The kids could take stuff apart to their heart's content. By the end of the week, it was filled with junk, odd springs and cords and pieces. Now, I had only 4-5-year-olds, but you know, it was one of the most educational things we ever did, they learned about what's inside things and they learned it's easier to take something apart than to put it back together and they learned that hammering breaks things but other tools take them apart intact, Surprisingly, no one misused anything and they came away with real respect for the process and the materials.

The color black lends itself to wax-resist painting. Colorwith a heay hand and paint over it with watered-down black paint.

U lends itself to the opposites under/over and up/down. I always did a weekly cooking project related to the letter of the week. U was upside-down cake, which always seems to amaze kids.

I had a yearly curriculum that tied seasonal events with the letters, cooking, field trips, games, books, colors, etc. For instance, I did the letters A, F, and Y in September, and we did Apple-printing with red, green, and Yellow paint, F was Fall, and so on. February (which is community Helpers month) was Q and V, the shapes were heart and diamond, the Queen of Hearts a natural for this. We did Groundhog Day the first week, and did shadow puppets, and made cameo (shadow) pictures of everyone. Those cameos were cut out of black paper, glued onto a doily with hearts, and made into a valentine. Then we learned about mailmen (community helper) and took a field trip/tour of the post office where we bought stamps, mailed our valentines to our parents, and followed our valentines through the back rooms of the post office, from start to finish, got to beep the horn in the mail delivery truck, and so on. They even had a video to show us.

I think back on this and it was an incredible thing to see through a child's eyes! They wanted to know why stamps are called stamps. To them, the tool you press on a stamp pad to CANCEL it is a stamp. Stamps, to their eyes, are actually stickers.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Hope this has helped some.

Rani