Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Daycare Providers & Preschool Teachers

Old 06-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Anyone do daycare and live in a trailer/mobile home?

I'm wondering if it's doable. I realize it may vary from state or county to state or county. I also know that a trailer doesn't allow a whole lot of space. I just am considering this as we're running into daycare problems with my working again.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I didn't do day care from a mobile home, but I did it in an apartment. I am in Minnesota too. Ramsey county did license me. I really expected that they would limit the number of children I could take in. They didn't, but I did. A third floor apt. isn't the best place to have a ton of kids....eeek the complex might have said no to that one...it was only for a short while but the whole time I was careful not to cause troubles in case the manager had a fit.

I think with the smaller space of a mobile home and in particular probably your yard, you will want to make sure to get those kids to a playground fairly frequently, more for your own personal sanity than anything.

You might want to double check the mobile home community rules too... that could affect your decision as well.

good luck

Lisa
Old 06-24-2005, 02:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

When I first got married and lisenced I did daycare in an apartment. The mobile home should not be a problem as long as you have the required space and pass the inspection. Each state is different with their regs so you would have to check. I am in MD. Good luck on your decision to do daycare. Most days I love my job. lol

Tammy
Old 06-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Sorry for not updating or deleting my post. I've since found out if it's something I can do. It is. I would just need the fire marshal to come in and follow any instructions/corrections/precautions/anything else ending in ING.

We will be living in the country so they would be spending plenty of time outside when weather permits. My sister-in-law does daycare and I imagine we will be doing some outings as a larger group.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Great

As long as you provide a safe, loving environment with enough space, it does not matter what type of building/trailer it is in, in fact most of our pre-school programs in NC are housed in mobile units/trailers and they do fine. Good LUCK!!!
Old 07-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I just found this and wanted to say something. I opporated a daycare in a single-wide home back on the early 80s in Texas. I had to answer to the fire marshal, the state of Texas, and the health department. Since I had a mobile home, I had to have skirting around my trailor. Plus, the state had other rules that all daycares had to meet. Have you thought about asking for a booklet or something as to what all you have to comply with in your state? Good luck!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yep, I've got a folder full of guidelines and info from the county. Now I am wondering about pros and cons of babysitting rather than becoming a licensed provider. If I babysit, would I have to report my earnings? Because I'm wondering about the fact that childcare can be claimed as an expense of your tax returns and that wouldn't work then for me if someone wants to use it on their tax return, right?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Beck, keep in mind that it has been years since I had the daycare, but the pros far outweigh the cons of getting your license. The reason is that if a child is injured and someone reports you, you could get into serious trouble if you aren't licensed. Each state is different in what requires a license. Some allow you keep a small number of children or family members without a license. I am sure that you have checked that out. It was a hassle to deal with the fire department, state board, and the health department, but it was well worth it. I just think you should think about the problems down the road if you aren't licensed. Also, you might want to get a signed letter from each parent to allow you to make medical decisions in the even that the parent cannot be located. Most of the time I could reach my parents, but I felt better knowing that I had the letter just in case.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-31-2005, 10:42 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Daycare vs babysitting

Hi Beckri. I don't do daycare, but teach Kinder. Here's one more thing to consider: In NM at least, daycare providers get some money from the state to help pay for healthy snacks/food for the children. Also, some state programs pay for day care costs for certain families- especially children with disabilities. My friend's GD is blind, and the state or SSI pays all her daycare expenses, plus extras for the provider. WIC or the surplus cheese/peanut butter etc. program might also provide some things for daycares-- but that might just be because we have such a high rate of young, single mothers and children in poverty in our state (NM). I hear about some of these things through the grapevine, and it might be worth checking out.

Also, you might want to look into an umbrella policy for your home no matter which route you decide to take. You would want to check your home/Mobile home or renter insurance to see if having a daycare or babysitting would disqualify you for insurance claims. Some companies are wierd about that, or about adding a rider for kids. I my community you can get on lists of preferred day care providers and have a community group make referrals-- they check you out and keep you on a list to give to parents who call. Also check with school counselor in your neighborhood. Although I am a kinder teacher, we end up providing all kinds of social services to young families (and old one of those is "word of mouth" referrals for babysitting. GOod LUCK! Ps. If you teach them to tie their shoes, and don't have the TV on all day (or AT ALL!!!) their kindergarten teachers will bless you forever!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

babysitting vs. lisenced care

hmmm I would think that you would need to report your income, but I guess it depends on the parents and different things. I know I am in MD and if you get caught "babysitting" you could be fined for $1000. EVeryone HAS to be lisenced and there are some strict rules that we have. MD is one of the toughest states. I guess it all depends on whether or not you have to be lisenced or not.
Tammy