Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Daycare Providers & Preschool Teachers

Old 01-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My kids have been in daycare all their lives.

Not sure what the concensus is here with daycare but since I am trying to accumulate posts....
My 4 3/4 year old son was in daycare beginning at 4m. A commercial daycare. I personally perfer a center to a babysitter. I like have more eyes on my child AND the person(s) caring for the child.
He is well socialized, extremely intelligent and indepdent. IN a group of many,he has learned to be a leader.
The same goes for my daughter, 3 yrs old.
Best of all, daycare potty trained them! Yeah!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi 2cutekidz

Sounds like you have had a great experience with daycares. That is great that they potty trained them for you.

I have a home daycare and I can not count how many kids I have toilet trained over the last 10 years!!! It is always such a nice transition to see them go from diapers to underwear.

Ican understand your concern with not having enough eyes on your child, although in the 10 years I have only had 1 bite and no accidents. Pretty good record I think.

Sorry it took me so long to see your post, I was out due to health problems, glad to have you at family corner!!!

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Having used both a comemrcially run day care center and a private home day care, I personally preferred the home care provider.

I felt that my DD got more personalized attention at the home care provider and she seemed happier there than at the commercial center.

The only time my DD ever got hurt, it happened at the commercial center out on the playground.

I guess what matters most is that a parent is comfortable, at ease and trusts their children's care givers.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Excellent care is the goal...

I agree with your comments. As long as the parent takes time to do background checks on the center or the staff and makes frequent pop in visits, they should be at ease.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

How to search for daycares

I'm trying to research daycares and I'll I can find are listings of daycares in my area. What I want are ratings or reviews of daycares. Any search ideas?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:52 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

to check daycares...

go to your state's social services website. Here in Michigan, its called the fAmily Independence Agency. They run Protective Services. Welfare, and they keep track of nursing homes and daycares. On our www.michigan.gov website, you can even submit complaints about daycares on line for them to check into.

So, my advise is to check out your social services agency who's job it is to monitor their code compliance. If there is no website, call the state agency. I am sure they have the info available to you somehow.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:46 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

HI! I am both an unemployed Childcare and Pre-K teacher.
I did childcare work while working on my basic College courses, and a Pre-K teacher in a few other states during and after receiving my ECE degree. I'll explain a few things. As a parent you hae the right to ask any and every question about the facility and the staff that you can come up with in regards to both the care and education of your child(ren). If the Facility is regulated through the state, there will be someway to review their credentials through the state. Most facilities will tell you who to contact via the state or credential / licensing board. Some will also have information on their glass entrance and/or reception area (similar to a doctor's office and or Veterinarian). Many teachers / Childcare facilitators will also have some documentation on file for who is and is not licensed , educated, and / or supported through the NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children, https://www.naeyc.org/ ). I had my membership from the time I graduated college til a few years ago when I stopped (for health reasons) working in the childcare / education field. They are HIGH standards, and included the link because of the RESOURCES available to anyone with questions. I do NOT work for them, so this truly is NOT an advertisement for them.
Another question to ask the center / facility is what their employee/child ratio is. The ratio varies between the AGEs of the children and the Staff on hand. In theory, and this may vary per state (I honestly do not know), it could be 2 Main teachers with 1 - 3 AssT. per every 40 students ages 2.5 y/o - 5 y/o, depending on the gender ratio. Ages 6 years to 12 years COULD be 1 lead Teacher or 1 AssT for every 4 hours - eight hours "depending" on public or private care, and state regulations. I have been in facilities where the ratio was 2 Teachers and 1 Asst per 40 children ages 3 - 5 y/o all genders - no +/- boys vs girls and 1 AssT for ages 6 - 12 y/o where the boys were more in attendance than the girls and it was allowed because it was a Private facility/center. Where as the facility where I did some of my practicum work (a public center) had 20 students, 2 L.T. and 3 - 4 AssT split classroom except for "group time," which then meant 2 + 2 per room (6 rooms), and sometimes 2 +1 (2 L.T. + 1 AssT) if the ration of children was less during the day / week. I have also observed other center/facilities (as a guest) where the ratio is 1 L.T. + 1 AssT per 20 children, 1 L.T. + 2 AssT per 40 children. Again it varied on type of facility / center and regulations.
As for daycare and childcare potty training, NOT all sites do this. It depend on both the AGE factor the site takes in, and the REGULATIONS the site has clearance for. Even some In-home / your-home child care givers do not do potty training. So I am happy that worked out for you when your children were being groomed / educated by someone else.
Another thing to consider, and it really is my personal observation and experience, Review centers attached or associated with the school district your child (ren) will be attending most of their development years in. A good example is a facility near or on a college campus where the facilities have one-way windows with and without in room speakers. These are the type of centers where you can review your child without him/her knowing and you can come/go without disrupting their learning time. You can also observe the teacher's / staff in the room as well if you have any doubts about your child's interaction with a particular person, or comment left in the child's Parent book/binder. Which is another question to ask, what type of information the staff keeps about your child and where is it kept. If it is educational information 9 out of 10 times it will be a recording book or binder in the classroom sometimes with in the children's reach, and other times in a teacher's Cabinet. As for medical history, allergies, and such... this is kept either in the Director's office, the Front office Manager's locked cabinet, in the Teacher's locked Cabinet, or if it is Allergy related it might be kept in a cabinet near the class kitchen for quick references on who, what, and contact info. Many facilities of this nature will also have a few security procedures in place as well. Be sure to ASK what type(s) of security measures are in place for the safety of the children and or classrooms. I know a few sites in California would do emergency preparation drills so the children knew what to expect "should" an emergency arise. Some of these drills included a mock fire alarm going off, and staff teaching the children to quietly get in line, take the hand of the person in front AND behind them (there would always be an adult in front and in back), zip their lips, and open their ears. Straight lines were often asked, but not always enforced the first two or three times. Others included what to do encase of an earthquake, and others what to do if someone they were not introduced to by the Director and LT / parent first talked to them on the play ground or in class. Other times, the children were taught safe passage ways between classrooms both inside and via the playground. In Washington, they were taught to take hold of a knotted or looped rope, listen to the person with the bull horn, and walk in a straight line away from the building. In Illinois, I had staff who walked next to the children who held onto nothing as they walked out of their classrooms onto the play ground during fire / earth quake drills, and what areas of the school in/out side were safe during Tornado drills. These are also GOOD questions to ask. The other question under security to ask is, what happens if I send someone not on my list of people to pick-up my child - comes to pick-up my child, when I and or the other(s) are not available?. I bet you're thinking this would never happen? or How could a parent / guardian not be available? Ask anyway. You may think you couldn't possibly do this, but you would be amazed at how many ID's I have had to check with the list, or inquire to my director about. One family was so busy with their "OWN" lives, that they sent their 17 y/o daughters 21 y/o BF to pick-up their 12 y/o son from after-school care five (5) minutes AFTER the facility was scheduled to close, and he wasn't an authorized pick-up person. The boy in question had been attending the same facility since he was a TODDLER. It can happen, sadly.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins