Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Daycare Providers & Preschool Teachers

Old 11-28-2004, 01:07 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Question How much should I charge???

Please help me!!!

Recently, a neighbor lady asked me to watch her son in the mornings before he goes to school.

Without really thinking about it I agreed to watch him. We had not agreed on a price. And before I got a chance to get back to her, she switched her shifts, and now I feel obligated to watch him.

I did explain to her that I just paid to put my DD in preschool and this will take all of my "alone" time.(without any of my own kids) ANd that it will be really rushing around for me to get my DD from preschool at 12:00 and get back home here to get him on the bus by 12:10.

She did tell me that she will "try" to look for before school program. I am not counting on that!

She is supposed to pack his lunch. As I work from home and I would have to stop working at 11:00 to get him his lunch, him to eat it, and be out the door, to pick DD up at 12:00 and get back here to get him on the bus by 12:10, and than come home and make DD her lunch.( I am not counting on that much either)

But, anyway, how much should I charge her for this?? I am not looking to make alot of money. She is a single mom.

He will be here for approximately 16 hours per week. It will only be four days a week. And some days he won't be here due to her boyfriend not working on really rainy days. Some days her DD will also be here but that would only be for about an hour.

How much should I charge her???
Old 11-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi there

Unfortunately with me being in Canada I might not be the biggest help to you.

I charge 25 for a day for 1 child, 40 a day for 2 children and 55 dollars a day for a family with 3.
For a half day I charge 20 dollars a day for 1 child , 30 a day for 2 and 40 for a family of 3.
I charge 4 dollars an hour for 1, 5 dollars an hour for 2 and 6 dollars an hour for 3.
Before school care and after school care is a flat 10 dollars.

Remember this is Canadian dollars. I hope this helps.

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 11-29-2004, 05:06 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Okay, well I guess it is helpful. But, I don't know the value difference between Canadian dollars and American dollars!

But, thanks for your help!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi there

i think for every American dollar it is approx. 1.21 Canadian if that helps.

hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 12-27-2004, 01:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I would suggest calling some local day cares and ask what they charge for part-time kindergarten care 2-4 1/2 days. In my area the half-day care runs $65 a week and they MUST pack their lunch and pay even if they aren't there.

I pay $3 an hour per child for what is considered "drop in" day care. Which from what you said is what you would be getting into as you wont have a set schedule. You will have the boy unless it is raining and then someone else will have him.

Roberta
Old 12-27-2004, 01:06 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Karen,
I know you and I have discussed this but I will post anyway.
5.00 hr for 1 child 7 for 2! Other home daycare in my area charge a flat rate of 30.00 a day for one 50.00 for 2!
Yes you can help her out but you should not do it for nothing. Next thing you know your whole neighborhood will be asking for help.
I would suggest you check the paper for home day care in your area and give them a call just to check the rates!
Leighann
Old 12-27-2004, 04:35 PM
kellyandkids

$3 per hour if the child is normal and reasonable. I once charged less for an "older" boy but he ate more and didn't have enough sense to close the front door behind him in a Minnesota January. Ugh.

Note: when I quit daycare 7 years ago it cost me 50 cents per child per hour just for food, paper towels, etc.

Consider changing your son's preschool time?
Old 12-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I just read the schedule you posted and that puts a tremendous strain on you! Is it worth it? What happens if this kid hurts himself between the time you have him and school? It's very possible. This is really not your responsibility and she seems to have just dumped this on you without giving you time to think it through and to me, that's taking advantage of your kindness. The fact that you asked about this situation tells me it doesn't sit well with you either.Let her re-switch her shifts. It's not your problem... In my opinion, this is not going to work. If it were me, I'd tell her in firm terms that it won't work well for me, and that she has to make other arrangements starting tomorrow...This is not something i'd want to be tied down with, because before long, others will ask and my time is no longer mine..... She and her boyfriend can play grown up house and be responsible for the kids if it means changing hours and jobs... *smiles*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 12-27-2004, 05:47 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thank you all for your responses!!

Jeannie, I already took your advice, even before you gave it!

One day, they decided to show up at 8:45. Unfortunate for me, but lucky for them, I was running late. The next day I was not running late, and they missed me. And than they did not bring him the rest of the week!!!

I called her that weekend and let her know that she needs to find someone else to watch her son. I was kind enough to give her until the new year.

She called me back and let me know that someone else would be watching him most of the week. I responded with an okay, and questioned if she would call me each day to let me know. She responded with a "yes" she didn't call me at all that week. And did not call me again!!!

She also let me know that she was having trouble finding someone to watch him.

HA one of the local churches had an opening, which would have been perfect for her. She could drop him off any time in the morning, and provided that he was there by 8:00 am he would get breakfast, and lunch, served by the church, for only $65/week, and transportation to school!!!

I also believe she would qualify for low income help to pay for daycare!

As for changing my DD"s preschool time. NO, she is having a hard enough time adjusting to school, that that would not be a good idea. Maybe she should consider changing her DS's kindergarten time!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

GOOD FOR YOUUUUUUUU! I didn't mean you should do any kind of changing.. she's the one that needs ....so she should change... I am soooooooo happy to hear you are free of that burden... there is no amount of money that could recompense me for my time to take the responsibility of someone else's child....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."