Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Daycare Providers & Preschool Teachers

Old 09-08-2004, 06:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Just Curious ???

Hi there

I was just curious as to what any home daycare providors found was the most difficult aspect of their job??

I find the most difficult is that i have no communication with other adults all day and no real coffee or lunch breaks

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I totally agree with you on no outside acess with other adults. I also would like to say that alot of people including my inlaws don't take what I do as a real professional job just cause I stay at home they think it is just an excuse to stay at home and to be lazy. Why don't people take home daycare as serious as daycare centers?
Destyne 01/18/97

Old 09-08-2004, 07:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I used to get that a lot and still do once in awhile but my inlaws have been here on a working day and she could not believe how my day goes!!! She understands now that it takes a lot of time ,patience, energy and creative spirit to do what I do and of course it helps that it pays the bills(in her eyes any ways)

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have been a home daycare provider for many years. The biggest problem I have faced is the lack of respect for the job. It is as Akaremom mentioned, people think because I am home all day I do nothing but sit around watching soap operas or something which is so far from the truth. Even my husband thinks my job is a breeze. I take care of 5 toddlers during the day plus one child after school and my own 3 children after school as well and they all keep me on my toes. The thing is, I fell into doing this when my first child was a baby and found out I absolutely love it for the most part. The things I don't like about the job itself is no contact with adults (I do a lot of volunteer work to compensate) and parents arriving late. I work from 6:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. which is a very long day. At the end of the work day, the children are tired and want their parents and I am tired and want time with my family. It seems no matter what boundries I set, there are some parents who are always late. And please don't say to just give up that child/family because I really love the children I care for! It is also hard to deal with the wear and tear on my house and furniture but that is just par for the course. I consider what I do my profession and it is hard work. But what other job gives you so many rewards! Of course, I could do without all the dirty diapers but the way I see it, every job has at least one or two things not to like. I feel blessed to be able to be home for my own children and love my job at the same time.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ok Ladies!!!!! I am gonna share my lifeline with you!!!! This is the best place on the web for caring and wise day care providers!!!

www.mychildfun.com
Old 04-21-2014, 05:22 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

I don't like not having adult conversations. I do text one of my sisters throughout the day, but its not the same.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am going to be closing my home daycare. I have been running my own daycare for 26 years so this is rather heartbreaking. But, the good news is, I will be working for a local daycare center. I will now have co-workers (aka other adults!) and will no longer have to worry about advertising, finding new daycare children, the wear and tear on my house and saving every single receipt for my end of year taxes. I love my job so much and I love the children I care for. After going through a divorce, moving to a new state, possibly having to sell this house, and the slow start of my current daycare, I think taking this new job is the right thing to do. I look at it as a new adventure.

~Mother Theresa

Old 05-31-2015, 07:51 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

"I was just curious as to what any home daycare providors found was the most difficult aspect of their job??"

I have done home childcare a few times over the years, but was brilliant enough to not have the preschoolers / school-age children in my home on a regular basis (meaning for 98% of the time they were in their "own" homes).

I actually found it easier to care for children in their own homes as they would be familiar with the items there, and what was and was not allowed. Most of the homes had local parks or park like yards where the child/ren could find their own friends or others their age to play with, and I knew that their would be food and change of clothes available for the child/ren to have "if" necessary. The other part I liked about caring for the children in their own homes, was IF a parent or the guardian came home early, they could decide to either keep me on a little longer while they ran errands, need to watch less children for doctor / dental appointments, or leave early for my own needs to be dealt with.

The negatives:
Parents / Families "assuming" that I was a 24 x7 babysitter.
Not being paid what was agreed upon (long story).
Parents / Guardians NOT being interested in the developments of the child / ren during the care (same issue I saw in the facilities I worked in to).
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 06-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

For me, there were several things that were sometimes hard - one was filling new openings and the adjustment period of the child when learning our routine. Another was that all of my daycare "equipment" (toys, portable cribs, high chairs etc.) took up space in my home. But I think the biggest thing that was hard was saying goodbye to children who were leaving for whatever reason (going to school full time, moving etc.) because I loved each and every child in my care and knowing I would not be seeing them every day was hard. Luckily, facebook came along and I get to keep in touch with so many of the families and see pictures of the children so that definitely helps. Parents showing up early or late was sometimes an issue but for the most part the families I worked with were extremely considerate.

~Mother Theresa