Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Daycare Providers & Preschool Teachers

Old 08-05-2004, 04:14 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Don't Take Advantage

Don't Take Advantage
Care providers say they often feel taken advantage of by parents, especially when it involves pick-up times, paying for care or abiding by the sick-child policy.

“Consistent lateness is a problem because it’s hard on the child who’s waiting to be picked up,” says Bain. “There have been many times when day-care children have joined my own family at the dinner table.”

Family day-care providers are especially eager to have children picked up on schedule so they can spend time with their own family.

Bain says day care can sometimes be hard on her kids because they often can’t play with toys with small parts or have friends visit if the number of children in the house would exceed the state Office for Children’s day-care regulations.

Sometimes, a simple phone call from parents to say they’re running late can go a long way. “It also makes a big difference if parents apologize to the provider when they arrive. It makes them feel less taken for granted,” says Tobin.

A bigger problem is parents who remember to bring the child, but not the provider’s paycheck.

“I’ve had to ask a few parents repeatedly for payment. I can understand forgetting every once in awhile, but it becomes frustrating when it turns into a habit,” says Buck.

However, if the situation warrants it, providers often try to be flexible. “I had one parent who couldn’t pay me right away because he had just lost his job. Under these circumstances, it’s important for the provider to try and work with the parent,” says Buck.

Another troubling issue is abuse of the sick policy, which providers say is meant to protect them and the other children.

“Some parents know their child has a fever so they give Tylenol first thing in the morning. But by noon, the fever is back and I have to spend time tracking down the parent so the child can be picked up,” says Bain.

“I know it’s important for parents to be at work, but having a sick child in day care poses a health risk for everyone else,” she says. “I once had a child with cystic fibrosis and unnecessarily exposing him to any kind of illness was dangerous.”
Old 09-01-2004, 08:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks for the article JulieK

Just last week I had a problem with a parent being 2 hours late to pick up their child. there was no phone call and no real sorry when they finally came to get their children. I do have a contract that states I won't tolerate lateness except in extenuating circumstances and I would appreciate a phone call. They tried to get out of paying any extra fees, they were late because they just chose to work late as they were behind. This is not to me an extenuating circumstance. If they had called and asked if I could work late I may have said sure for 1 hour. I think I was most upset beacuse they wrecked my evening plans with my kids as we had planned to see the early movie. They also were quite rude and stated that if I could not handle their schedules they would find anouther sitter. I love my job but when I have a day like this I sometimes wonder??

Do any others out there have problems with any of these??

How do you handle yoursself in these situations.

Looking forward to your input

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson