Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Daycare Providers & Preschool Teachers

Old 06-17-2004, 07:45 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Benefits of Family Child Care

Family Childcare!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a society where the majority of mothers and
fathers are working outside the home, the need for quality childcare is growing at a rapid pace.
A large contingent of the population is beginning to realize that center-based daycare is not their only option. Since it is now being acknowledged that the first three years of a child's life are the most important of their formative years, parents of young children are discovering that family child care can provide the individualized attention that children of this age need.

Just what is family childcare? In short,
it is childcare that is offered in the provider's home. Home daycare providers are NOT babysitters!
Actually, quality family childcare is so much more then that! Quality providers are entrepreneurs who take pride in their small businesses and continually challenge themselves to remain at the leading edge of the child care profession. Quality childcare providers choose home daycare as their careers because they enjoy being around children and they enjoy helping children to get that good start in life that they deserve.

One of the major benefits family childcare offers
that center-based care simply cannot, is a small group. Any parent of a young child knows that the fewer people their child is exposed to, the less likely they are to become ill. Center-based care may offer seperate rooms for different age groups, but the fact of the matter is, that when large numbers of people, children as well as their parents walk through the center's doors, as many as 100 people a day could be bringing their cold or flu germs into that environment! Factor in all of the center's employees and the potential
for exposure to illness seems staggering.

More often parents are choosing family childcare
because they know that increased time and attention can be tailor made for their children.
It allows small groupings in an atmosphere resembling their own home, and its flexible scheduling adapts to each family's individual needs. Because providers must adhere to state guidelines, they can offer loving care without having to sacrifice the quality of their programs. Due to the low ratio of children in each program to begin with, and the even lower number of infants allowed, parents can really appreciate the individualized attention that is offered in these homes, and know that what is being offered really
is serving their child's best interests.

How can parents find quality family childcare?
Just as you would ask your friends for personal referrals when looking for a new doctor or home decorator, thats also one of the best ways to seek out good family childcare as well. Most providers credit the bulk of their business to word-of-mouth personal referrals, as well as referrals obtained through professional organizations or corporate networks. Ask the provider for references from other daycare parents who have had their child(ren) in the providers care for awhile. While finding an exceptional provider may seem like a daunting task, rest assured that they do exist in large numbers! The search is well worth the effort. After all, don't we all want to give our children the very best in everything!?!
Old 05-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

bump

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 05-19-2015, 05:43 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I never required daycare of any kind, however, had I needed to enroll my children into a safe and healthy care type atmosphere when they were babies/toddlers, a family child daycare would have been my first and only choice.

That, or having immediate family come into my home to care for my children, which I did whenever I needed a babysitter, or dropping my kids off at the home of immediate family, which I also did.

In our family we shared and relied on each other when it came to baby/child care. Loved being able to rely on family and close friends for that.

My mom worked at a home daycare in the early 80's, and said it was as close to dealing with one big happy family as one big happy family gets. She said no child was neglected or cared for in a sub-standard/hap-hazard fashion.