Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-08-2003, 03:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Crock Sputters

Does anyone have a solution for the water bubbling out of the lid of the crock pot? Mine spits and sputters terribly. I have tried wiping away the liquid around the rim but it always comes back, not to mention the heat loss for opening the lid. Yesterday I only had a few pork ribs in the pot so I turned the lid upside down so all the built-up moisture runs down toward the center of the pot and that worked...but only because the pot wasn't full. My small crock pot does the same thing. Do you have any ideas for me?
Old 05-21-2003, 12:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

what I do

I drape a kitchen towel over the top of my crockpot. No steam, no sputters!!
Old 05-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

What brand are you using.. and how big is it......? and it could also be that the crockpot is too small for the recipe... I've never had that problem...and I have 3 different sized pots....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-24-2003, 10:38 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi,
We have three different crock pots and have never had that happen. It sounds like you either have to much food in it or too much liquid and you need to adjust the recipe.
Happy safe bubbling!
Petunia
Old 05-24-2003, 11:51 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

When ever I cook anything that I think will "boil over" I put a dab of butter in the pot. Others tell me that a teaspoon of cooking oil will do the same. It does work.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

You also might want to cut down on the amount of liquid you put in and also maybe your heat is up too high?
Happy crocking!!! If you have some wonderful easy recipes, please share. Right now, dh does most of the cooking, but on the weekends if I had an easy recipe that I didn't have to do alot of standing, I could probably be talked into cooking ;-)
Old 05-24-2003, 01:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Has anyone mentioned waging a toothpick or 2 between the lid and pot?? Just on one side maybe spaced a few inches apart- a "gap" will be there but won't compromise the heat too much but still allow some steam to escape.

I would also tend to agree with the others suggesting that you might be putting too much liquid in it or have it too hot.

Good luck and let us know which suggestions work best...Karen L
Old 05-25-2003, 12:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My little crock pot does that too. I keep one plugged in all the time with a few inches of water in it to warm bottles. It's a 1 1/2 qt., I think. I have to wipe the rim all the time, otherwise it rattles around.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My crock doesn't have that problem, but I read somewhere to put foil around the lid. I do that and don't have any water. You might try it!

Old 05-27-2003, 06:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have had that problem. Although "wedging" toothpicks or something under the lid will solve it, it will also cause loss of heat. My solution was to place a bowl or cup (inverted) on the top of the lid to weight it down. That keeps all the juices and heat inside. Hope it helps.