Crock Sputters

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I had the same problem. I found it's because the crock pot manufacturers are using plastic lids instead of the glass, like the old crock pots had. The heavy glass lids do not allow the steam to lift them up. You can pick-up a lid at thrift stores or garage sales that are glass and I do believe it will solve your problem. You may also want to try your glass corning ware casserole lids and see if they fit. Good luck
  • Wow--some great solutions listed here. I have an oval crock with glass lid as well as the slow cooker (small, sits on a heated base) with plastic lid. It doesn't fit tight so I will remember a couple of these.

Jayne
  • Thanks for the tips everyone! My two crocks are 5 qt and 1 1/2 qt? both with glass lids. I think you're probably right that there is too much liquid. I always add water and soup about half way up the roast and then there's the runoff added to that. Last week I cooked beef tips and tried the towel idea and IT WORKED! I think the teenager thought I was trying to hide the food tho'
    Sorry, no recipes, I just dump and run. Usually brown pork ribs and then add cream soup, or roast and onion soup. I have many collected recipes for the crock just need to retrain myself to try them. There's a website for nothing but crock pot. I'm thinking it may be justcrockpotrecipes.com or crockpotrecipes.com, something like that. I will check into it and try to post the correct one if someone else doesn't first.
    Thanks again for the replies!
  • website
    It was www.justcrockpotrecipes.com but a search will give you many others also.
  • Thanks for posting the web site. My sis gave my dh a crock pot for Christmas, I think I'll go check it out and get him something new to try. Getting tired of chicken breasts cooked the same way. Oh well, should be grateful that he does most of the cooking.