I have a question

You're on Page 1 of 7
Go to
  • I have just found a crock pot that the crock comes out of the heating unit. The pot has three settings, off, low and high. This is a used one that came of a consignment shop, but it has no directions. Can any one help me? What temperature is low and what is high? I look forwarding to using this, especially since I know I won't have to heat up my kitchen and I don't have to stand in the kitchen watching the food cook.

Any and all recipes that you can pass along will be greatly apprecicated! You can post them here or send it to [email protected].

Thanks for any and all advice and recipes
  • As for temperatures I dont know but I do know that low=cook for 4-6 hrs anh high=cook 6-8hrs. I have a similiar cp.
  • go to justcrockpotrecipes.com have fun.....
  • Crock Pot cooking
    What a great web site for crock cooking. Thanks. I know I wasn't the one asking about such recipes but thanks anyway.
    Annette2
  • crock pot
    What make and model crock pot do you have? Someone might have the instruction manual.

I usually only cook on low and that would be all day. Set it up at 7am and eat after 4pm. If I do use the high setting, it would be at the beginning of cooking (when I started late say 11:00) for and hour or two and then I'd turn it down to low.

They are wonderful to use and make the 'what's for dinner' question obsolete!
  • www.lazygourmets.com has lots of crockpot recipes, meat dishes, soups, casseroles, breads and even desserts. I have tried some of them and we have really enjoyed them. You could go to the web site for your make and perhaps get the information you need. Each crockpot is unique. I have two and they each cook at different speeds while on the same setting. One cooks at a much higher temp than the other, but I had to learn by trial and error. Have fun.

Have a Jesus blessed day!
  • I found this somewhere in my notes...I don't remember from whence it came......

ere are a few simple guidelines that will help you prepare your favorites in the crockpot:

Allow sufficient time on "Low" setting which is @ 200.

Remember, liquids don't boil away as in conventional cooking.

Usually you'll have more liquid at the end of cooking instead of less.

Try reducing the amount of liquid in the recipe by about one half.

The exception would be soup recipes or recipes with long grain converted rice which will need the same amount of liquid or 1/4 cup liquid per 1/4 cup raw rice.

Many preparatory steps are not necessary. Vegetables do not need to be browned or sauteed.

In most cases, all ingredients can be added to the crockpot in the beginning and allowed to cook all day.

Exception: milk, sour cream or cream should be added during the last hour of cooking.

The crockpot cooks so gently that a few extra hours on Low need not worry you.

Any recipe may be cooked on High for the first two hours to reduce cooking time, then turned to Low.

Cooking on HIGH is about half the time of cooking on LOW.

*Most uncooked meat and vegetable combinations will require at least 8 hours on Low.

Do NOT overcook chicken. It loses it's texture.

Jeannie
  • Oh, yes! Thanks for the information! I will be checking out that website as soon as I post this. Anything to get out of the kitchen and not heat it up in this weather works for me.

Thanks for all the info!
  • I also have a cp like this. I usually follow the recipe suggestion for low and high. It really depends on what you are cooking. Some recipes even tell you to start on high till the liquids boil then turn it to low for "simmering". There are SOOOOO many things you can make in a cp, from cakes and candies to pork chops and lasagna. All those sites the girls listed are great-great-great!!!! And don't forget good ol' Betty Crocker!!

www.bettycrocker.com

Have fun!! And good timing for the hot summer

Debbie Can't wait for FALL!!
  • I love my crockpot and have dinner cooking in it right now.

I have three super easy, cheap recipes for the crock pot.

1. Put in a hunk of roast beef - doesnt' matter what kind or what cut. Put two cans of stewed tomatoes over the top and turn the pot on. (My crockpot has a "auto shift" setting and I use this setting for my roasts. It cooks for a couple of hours on high then reduces it to low and stays there until I shut it off.)

2. Put a whole fryer chicken in (after removing giblets and rinsing) and add 3 tablespoons of Old Bay Seasoning and 2 teaspoons pepper (almost any combination of seasoning I think would work). NO WATER is added. Cook on low for 8 hours. This is easy and wonderful - the meat just falls off the bone.

3. (tonight's dinner). Get 3 pounds brisket (very cheap cut of beef), cut it in half so it will fit in the pot. Put one half in the pot. Then in a bowel mix one cup ketchup, 1/4 cup grape jelly, one package onion soup mix and 1 tsp pepper. Spread half of this mixture over the brisket in the pot. Put the other half of the brisket in and spread the remaining mixture over it. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Serve with the juice (like a gravy but not very thick). This is sooooo good!!! I never have any leftover unless I really cook alot of it.

There are alot of recipes out there, even dessert recipes so have fun exploring and enjoy.

Shelly