FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Crock Pot & Pressure Cooker (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crock-pot-pressure-cooker/)
-   -   I have a question (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crock-pot-pressure-cooker/3088-i-have-question.html)

Bernice 07-27-2002 12:38 PM

I have a question

I have just found a crock pot that the crock comes out of the heating unit. The pot has three settings, off, low and high. This is a used one that came of a consignment shop, but it has no directions. Can any one help me? What temperature is low and what is high? I look forwarding to using this, especially since I know I won't have to heat up my kitchen and I don't have to stand in the kitchen watching the food cook.

Any and all recipes that you can pass along will be greatly apprecicated!:) You can post them here or send it to [email protected].

Thanks for any and all advice and recipes

miracle 07-27-2002 01:51 PM

As for temperatures I dont know but I do know that low=cook for 4-6 hrs anh high=cook 6-8hrs. I have a similiar cp.

allenlee714 07-27-2002 05:49 PM

go to justcrockpotrecipes.com have fun.....

Annette2 07-27-2002 09:17 PM

Crock Pot cooking

:rolleyes: What a great web site for crock cooking. Thanks. I know I wasn't the one asking about such recipes but thanks anyway.
Annette2

indnan 07-28-2002 05:24 AM

crock pot

What make and model crock pot do you have? Someone might have the instruction manual.

I usually only cook on low and that would be all day. Set it up at 7am and eat after 4pm. If I do use the high setting, it would be at the beginning of cooking (when I started late say 11:00) for and hour or two and then I'd turn it down to low.

They are wonderful to use and make the 'what's for dinner' question obsolete!^^

Jole Blond 07-28-2002 08:18 AM

www.lazygourmets.com has lots of crockpot recipes, meat dishes, soups, casseroles, breads and even desserts. I have tried some of them and we have really enjoyed them. You could go to the web site for your make and perhaps get the information you need. Each crockpot is unique. I have two and they each cook at different speeds while on the same setting. One cooks at a much higher temp than the other, but I had to learn by trial and error. Have fun.

Have a Jesus blessed day!

Jeannie 07-28-2002 08:59 AM

I found this somewhere in my notes...I don't remember from whence it came......

ere are a few simple guidelines that will help you prepare your favorites in the crockpot:

Allow sufficient time on "Low" setting which is @ 200.

Remember, liquids don't boil away as in conventional cooking.

Usually you'll have more liquid at the end of cooking instead of less.

Try reducing the amount of liquid in the recipe by about one half.

The exception would be soup recipes or recipes with long grain converted rice which will need the same amount of liquid or 1/4 cup liquid per 1/4 cup raw rice.

Many preparatory steps are not necessary. Vegetables do not need to be browned or sauteed.

In most cases, all ingredients can be added to the crockpot in the beginning and allowed to cook all day.

Exception: milk, sour cream or cream should be added during the last hour of cooking.

The crockpot cooks so gently that a few extra hours on Low need not worry you.

Any recipe may be cooked on High for the first two hours to reduce cooking time, then turned to Low.

Cooking on HIGH is about half the time of cooking on LOW.

*Most uncooked meat and vegetable combinations will require at least 8 hours on Low.

Do NOT overcook chicken. It loses it's texture.

Jeannie

Bernice 07-28-2002 12:15 PM

Oh, yes! Thanks for the information! I will be checking out that website as soon as I post this. Anything to get out of the kitchen and not heat it up in this weather works for me.

Thanks for all the info!:daisy:

lawnangel 07-29-2002 08:20 AM

I also have a cp like this. I usually follow the recipe suggestion for low and high. It really depends on what you are cooking. Some recipes even tell you to start on high till the liquids boil then turn it to low for "simmering". There are SOOOOO many things you can make in a cp, from cakes and candies to pork chops and lasagna. All those sites the girls listed are great-great-great!!!! And don't forget good ol' Betty Crocker!!

www.bettycrocker.com

Have fun!! And good timing for the hot summer 8-)

Debbie (^) Can't wait for FALL!!

Shelly9963 07-29-2002 08:34 AM

I love my crockpot and have dinner cooking in it right now.

I have three super easy, cheap recipes for the crock pot.

1. Put in a hunk of roast beef - doesnt' matter what kind or what cut. Put two cans of stewed tomatoes over the top and turn the pot on. (My crockpot has a "auto shift" setting and I use this setting for my roasts. It cooks for a couple of hours on high then reduces it to low and stays there until I shut it off.)

2. Put a whole fryer chicken in (after removing giblets and rinsing) and add 3 tablespoons of Old Bay Seasoning and 2 teaspoons pepper (almost any combination of seasoning I think would work). NO WATER is added. Cook on low for 8 hours. This is easy and wonderful - the meat just falls off the bone.

3. (tonight's dinner). Get 3 pounds brisket (very cheap cut of beef), cut it in half so it will fit in the pot. Put one half in the pot. Then in a bowel mix one cup ketchup, 1/4 cup grape jelly, one package onion soup mix and 1 tsp pepper. Spread half of this mixture over the brisket in the pot. Put the other half of the brisket in and spread the remaining mixture over it. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Serve with the juice (like a gravy but not very thick). This is sooooo good!!! I never have any leftover unless I really cook alot of it.

There are alot of recipes out there, even dessert recipes so have fun exploring and enjoy.

Shelly
8-)

geenna74 07-29-2002 10:49 AM

What is old bay seasoning? I have seen a few recipes that call for this but have never heard of it before.

gina.

indnan 07-29-2002 02:23 PM

chicken in crockpot

When you cook the chicken in the crockpot without water, does it bake?:confused:

About the only thing I don't like about the crockpot is that everything is in gravy like sauces, gravy, stews. I never tried without water.

Anyother suggestions for no - little fluid recipes?

Nan

allenlee714 07-29-2002 02:40 PM

i found a little steamer basket i put in the pot upside down and put the chicken on top of that with just enough water not to touch the chicken this worked pretty good. or maybe if you have a smnall round raised rack of some kind i was lucky to have found the little steeamer basket ithe holes in it...........gook luck as far as i know you need some water always maybe more poeple out ther know more about any water at all....

Shelly9963 07-29-2002 05:15 PM

Hi:

Old Bay Seasoning is a type of seasoning that you would find on crabs or steamed shrimp. You can normally find it in most seafood sections and in the spice section where they keep the seafood seasonings. I am originally from Maryland and grew up with Old Bay on everything. It's especially good on corn on the cob. I don't find it overly spicy but there are somethings it just a good spice for.

As far as the waterless chicken - I hadn't heard of it before either. I found it here on this web site and tried it. I think it bakes it in a convection sort of way because of the overall heat with scorching. It was especially nice to have the drippings, which are great for gravy or the grease can be skimmed and the juice saved for chicken soup stock. I really like being able to use the cheap chickens and make a good meal. We eat mostly chicken, fish and turkey around here so something good and easy to make for me is a wonderful treasure.

Oh the time to cook the chicken is 9-10 hours (in case I didn't say so earlier). :-P::

I would imagine that you could do the same thing with turkey. Red meats I'm not sure about because they tend to dry out without some kind of liquid but then again, I may try that next. I have a friend that puts potatoes (cut) in the bottom to keep her meat off the bottom, then the roast and then carrots. She uses a little water with it too I think, seasons it up and then turns it on.

Oh, the brisket was soooo yummy. Our company we had for dinner had never had it before and now my girlfriend's husband insists she get the recipe and they have it at home. If you've never had this before you should try it.

Have a blessed evening.

Shelly :daisy:

geenna74 07-29-2002 05:59 PM

Shelly9963--

okay 2 questions, does it matter which way you put the chicken in the cp? and does old bay seasoning taste at all fishy?

thanks

gina.

Shelly9963 07-29-2002 07:01 PM

Gina:

The chicken I bought fit in my crockpot with the breast side up (same way you bake them).

No - that seasoning does not at all taste fishy. It's base I think is red pepper, paprika, salt, pepper and I'm not sure what else. If you take a big mouthful it's pretty spicy but really good flavoring on the meat and if you eat the seasoning in moderation, it won't over power you, if you know what I mean.

My oldest boy, James, eats it on most everything. I don't find it tastes very good on red meats but it does real well with white meats and fish of any kind. I use it with crab cakes that I make and if you've ever had crab cakes you have probably had Old Bay. There are very few places that don't use Old Bay in their crab cakes.

I also use Nature's Seasoning on chicken and any other white meat. That's a good one that doesn't have any "kick", no red pepper in it all. You could use it if you can't find the Old Bay or if you don't like it.

Hope this helps.

I'm off to snooze land....:cat:

Shelly

geenna74 07-29-2002 09:05 PM

Thank you Shelly, that sounds really good, we love spicy food.

I will go to the grocery to see if they have it here in CA.

gina.

EJGMOM 07-30-2002 06:32 AM

^^ Found this conversion chart somewhere on the web. I think it may be of some help to you.

Oven To Crockpot Conversions
For most crock pots, the low setting is about 200 degrees F. and the high setting is about 300 degrees F.
One hour on high is equal to 2 to 2 1/2 hours on low.
Here are the conversions for regular ovens to crockpots:
15 to 30 minutes oven = 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours on high in crockpot or 4-6 hours on low. 35 to 45 minutes oven = 3 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. 60 minutes to 3 hours oven = 4-5 hours on high or 8-18 hours on low.
Most uncooked meat and vegetable combinations require at least 8 hours on low.

And here is a great website for more recipes.
http://chetday.com/healthyrecipesmenu.htm

Hope this helps end your confusion.
Sue
:stripes:

MKS 07-30-2002 07:20 AM

Crockpot brisket

I recently got a 6 qt crock pot. I'd like to try the brisket recipe, but could I double it for this size cp? If I could double it, would I need to cook it longer? How much longer? I am not an adventurous cook, and it sure helps to be able to ask questions!

john11v5a

Shelly9963 07-30-2002 12:38 PM

Yes, you can double the recipe. I did yesterday. Mine is the large sized crockpot as well. I put in 6 pounds of brisket instead of 3 and doubled the rest of the ingredients (2 cups ketchup, 1/2 cup grape jelly, 2 onion soup packets and the pepper 1/2 tsp I think) and no I did not cook it longer, at least not on purpose anyway. I cooked it longer only because my company came later than usual but only an extra hour and I don't think it made any difference.

We loved it and the left overs made great sandwiches if you slice it thin enough or cut up in chunks, mixed with leftover gravy and pour over rice.

I did notice a little more grease this time than I had the last time in the sauce once it was done cooking, but I skimmed most of it off before serving.

Have a great day!

Shelly8-)

Yesicon 07-30-2002 05:35 PM

Yours sounds like the one I have, it was my mother's and is really old, but still works. I'm not sure about the settings, but this is how I use mine... I take a frozen roast (almost every Sunday) put it in the Crock Pot on high with maybe a 1/2 c. of water. Once the outside of the meat begins to thaw I sprinkle a pkg. of dry onion soup over it. Then depending on the size of the roast I turn it down in the afternoon and through in some baby carrots about 3 hr. before supper. The really great thing about Crock Pots is you can eat when you are ready and not at a specific time.

My favoriate chicken Crock Pot is chicken, either whole or boneless pieces, enough for the family. Then pour a can of chicken broth over it and a pkg. of dry onion soup mix and let her cook till dinner. Serve over rice, noodles or plain. The broth makes great gravy too!;-)

MKS 07-31-2002 06:00 AM

Crockpot cooking

Ok, more questions. I'm glad to hear someone puts the meat in frozen. Does anyone else do that? Do you put the chicken in frozen? Would it be possible to put in a frozen roast on Sat night (say around11:30) cook on high all night, then add spices, turn to low & wait till after chruch to eat it (say around 12:45)? Or would that be over cooking? Should any liquid be added to the frozen roast.
john11v5a

Shelly9963 07-31-2002 09:48 AM

I have never tried putting something in that is frozen, but I would think you would have to cook it on low, not on high, so it wouldn't dry out, but maybe somebody has done that before and can tell us because I would be interested to know as well.

I cook my turkey at Christmas overnight at a low temperature and that works. :-D

Have a great day.
Shelly
:daisy:

indnan 07-31-2002 03:38 PM

Frozen meat/crock pot

Something tells me I read NOT to place frozen meat in crockpot. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with bacteria. In 25years of cooking with crockpot I have NEVER placed frozen meat in pot to start. Best to shop in your freezer a day or two before and let it defrost in fridge. Better safe than sorry - you do not want to get ill on food poisoning!:ugh:

Nan

Annette2 07-31-2002 04:10 PM

crock pots and frozen meat

;-) How right you are!! I have also read an article on NOT putting frozen meat to cook in the crock pot because of the problem of food contamination, RE: bacteria, etc. WHO WANT'S FOOD POISONING. I personally would not ever put frozen roasts or chicken in a crock pot to cook, I wouldn't want to take a chance. I once had food poisoning and it is NO FUN, I spent 12 Hrs. at the hospital getting IV fluids to re-hydrate me.

Shelly9963 07-31-2002 07:00 PM

I appreciate the info on the frozen food - hadn't thought of that perspective. I haven't tried it before and now I think I'm quite glad that I hadn't.

Thanks,
Shelly
:)

MKS 08-03-2002 05:44 AM

Well, I'm convinced. No frozen meat. That is good info.
So if I wanted to start a defrosted roast on Sat night at 11:30
would 12 to 14 hours be too long to cook it? Add the carrots & potatoes at 8:00 in the morning. I've cooked pinto beans all night & up until lunch the next day, but I'd like to be able to do a whole meal that way. What do y'all think?

indnan 08-03-2002 04:04 PM

Sunday Roast

I'm thinking you want Sunday dinner at Noon. I don't think 12-14 hours would be too long, especially if the roast will be a good size one. I'd probably put the veggies in at the beginning too. I'd question whether they'd be done 4-5 hours later (if you put them in at 8am.)

If we could all plan on using the crock pot 2-3 times a week, just think how easy 'what's for dinner:confused: ' would be! I'm going to try PLANNING to use it more when the kids go back to school.

Good luck! Nan

MKS 08-03-2002 07:45 PM

Thanks! I think I will try at least one meal this week. I know I have a brisket in the freezer & I think I have a roast too. I have also been meaning to add an address that I have looked at for crockpot recipes. It is: http://southernfood.about.com/librar.../bl6orless.htm
I have only tried one of the meatloaf recipes & it was good.
^^ Thanks again,
john11v5a

Annette2 08-04-2002 07:08 PM

:. MKS, as far as I know, it takes just as long or LONGER for vegies to cook in a crock pot than it does for meat.

I will check out the web sight you posted for recipes. I can never get enough.

Annette2

jeanie 08-06-2002 11:18 AM

when cooking veggies and meat together always put the veggies on the bottom.;)

Annette2 08-06-2002 07:35 PM

::: How right you are. I guess I should have mentioned putting the vegies on the bottom of the crock pot, UNDER the meat, this is important in the finished product, Thanks for mentioning it.
Annette :daisy: :daisy:

jeanie 08-07-2002 07:59 AM

that's about the extent of my knowlege on crockpots :-O

I am just learning the ends and outs of it. My first roast was so bad I threw it out , along with my beans :eek:

Give me regular pots and pans and I can whip up anything :-D :-D

Sueanne 08-07-2002 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MKS
Thanks! I think I will try at least one meal this week. I know I have a brisket in the freezer & I think I have a roast too. I have also been meaning to add an address that I have looked at for crockpot recipes. It is: http://southernfood.about.com/librar.../bl6orless.htm
I have only tried one of the meatloaf recipes & it was good.
^^ Thanks again,
john11v5a

Thanks for the cooking website I have not seen this one yet. Will keep it in my favorites. Sueanne ^^

Blondie 08-07-2002 03:50 PM

:cat:

Question--why is it recommended to put the veggies on the bottom of a crockpot? If you have a roast on top of them, doesn't it make the veggies mushy? What would happen if you reverse the positions of meat and veggies? Wouldn't the meat cook all right, or is it that the veggies would dry out on top?
I have a crockpot, but haven't used it very much, so don't have the experience most of you may have.

indnan 08-07-2002 04:35 PM

crock pots

Jeanie - don't make it too hard on yourself. Crockpots are 'dump and run' dinners. Dump everything in it in the a.m., run around all day, and have a delicious hot dinner waiting when you come home.

Blondie - Maybe the veggies need to be on the bottom because they'll float when their cooked? Don't know exactly - I'd have to say that I don't always put them in the bottom - but I do make sure there's enough fluid to completely cover them. Sometimes some of them look a little dried out but once you cover them with a gravy they look just fine.

Here's a good beef soup recipe that makes a delicious dinner with a fresh loaf of bread and butter.

1 chuck roast (cheap) (I usually buy 2-3 lb)
1 bag frozen mixed veggies (green bean corn peas)
1 Chopped onion (I chop fine so kids can't find them !!!)
1 large can tomato juice (I think it's less than 1 quart size)
additional water to cover.

I cook it all day. When done remove meat and tear apart. Serve with noodles if desired. You could thicken a little if you'd like and make a stew like dinner. This is Especially delicious the next day. Soups and stews usually are!

Nan

Sueanne 08-07-2002 05:26 PM

Meat On Top?

Quote:

Originally posted by Blondie

Question--why is it recommended to put the veggies on the bottom of a crockpot? If you have a roast on top of them, doesn't it make the veggies mushy? What would happen if you reverse the positions of meat and veggies? Wouldn't the meat cook all right, or is it that the veggies would dry out on top?
I have a crockpot, but haven't used it very much, so don't have the experience most of you may have.

I think it is because the meat can release it juices better & not get too soupy. I try not to add more water than is needed. Some people feel it is better to brown the meat first before putting in the crockpot for color appearances. My Husband likes to see it this way. Roast come out different than in the oven more stringy. I like it for a change of pace. Make sure it is not to fatty if you are on a special diet. Sueanne ROFLMAO

jeanie 08-08-2002 05:34 AM

My crockpot recipe book said to put the veggies on bottom cause they cook slower than the meat??????????:confused:

I think I'll try it the other way around just to see if it's true!!!!

I made a roast the other day put potatoes, carrots and sliced onions on bottom, the roast on top then dry onion soup mix .. it was wonderful. :-P::

geenna74 08-08-2002 02:23 PM

jeanie--

did you add any water to the roast? how long did you cook it? I just bought a roast and need a really good recipe. :)

gina.

Blondie 08-08-2002 04:16 PM

Crockpot Roast

jeanie--

How big a roast did you cook, and how long did you cook it? Your idea about the onion mix on top sounds good.