I have a question

You're on Page 7 of 7
Go to
  • shelly99623....... my sil said the only thing she remembers putting in with th e grape jelly is a can of Hormel chili along with the meat (smokies or meatballs?) she couldn't remember......... anyway, she added all that to the crockpot.....

MKS... don't worry about getting the recipe. I just thought you might know it...........
  • Too late. It is just the apple butter. Just tell people it is your secret recipe & wink.
  • About putting veggies on the bottom, under the meat:
    I do this with potatoes, carrots, peppers and onions. BUT, when I make a pot roast or beef stew, my family loves lots of mushrooms in it. I find that it's better to leave the mushrooms whole, and put them on top of the meat. Also, I cut the liquid even more because mushrooms will contribute liquid to the recipe. It's amazing how much even the "big" mushrooms will shrink after 8 hours in the crock pot!
  • I use grape jelly and chili sauce in with the Little Smokies. It sounds weird, but tastes great. I believe the chili sauce is the Heinz brand.

• I think my sil's was probably the chili sauce too, cause I have seen many recipes that way and none from chili. Whichever.....it was really good.
  • Hello all!
    No one has posted here for a while. Is this thread still open? I just wanted to share what I did last week. I have made 2 out of three of Shelly9963's receipes on page one of this thread. I have now come to call the first one Shelly Jelly Roast or Brisket. It is sooooo good & I save the left overs to add to another of my own favorite receipes which is Brunswick Stew. Next I modified the second receipe. I took cheap chicken thighs, took the skin off & since I have never seen or tried old bay seasoning, I used a powdered BBQ seasoning I like. It was very very good. The flavor had gone all throughout the chicken instead of just the outer layer. Usually my dh is not enthusiastic about chicken on the bone receipes, but he actually said it was really good with no coaxing at all. He also said he couldn't tell it was dark meat, which is another good sign as he really prefers the more expensive white meat (which I don't prefer & don't like to buy!) And both receipes are very easy!! I hope to really begin using my crock pot more & more. This is a good step forward for me.
    Thanks Shelly!
  • How to do this in a crockpot?
    I'd like to make this recipe in the crockpot instead of the oven, but I'm afraid I'll end up with a really THIN sauce instead of the nice thick sauce I get when I oven-bake this recipe. Any suggestions?

SAUCY BAKED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken pieces
    1 tbl olive oil
    8 oz fresh mushrooms, halved
    1 large onion cut in thin wedges
    1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
    1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
    1/2 cup water
    1 tsp sage
    Italian seasoning to taste
    1 tsp minced garlic

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides in 1 tbl olive oil.
    Transfer chicken to 3 qt baking dish.
    Cook mushrooms & onions in same skillet as chicken was cooked in. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water & spices.
    Spoon vegetable sauce over chicken.
    Bake uncovered 40 min. at 375.
  • barbszy....

Prepare the ingredients as if you were going to bake...
    Then put the veggies on the bottom of the crock...
    add the chicken, and everything else....and cut the water in half.
    Check it half way through cooking.....you can always add a bit of boiling water if it's too thick.

You can always turn the crock on high if too much sauce forms, or you can thicken the sauce with a little flour toward the end of cooking.

I would use chicken broth in place of water if you have some.
    Remember to reserve some of your seasonings because crocking dissipates the flavors....add them the last few minutes.

However, you should be ok with it because tomato paste is very concentrated..... *s*

You might want to add a green pepper cut in chunks and 2 cloves of garlic to give it a flavor boost, ...just a suggestion. *s*

Cook low 6-8 hours... or high 3-4 hours
  • THANK YOU Jeannie! I will try your suggestions! That all makes sense. I really hope this works, because we like this recipe but it does take time to put together at a time of day when the Big Kids need me for homework help, and Luke is at his crabbiest....so the crock pot would let me do it in the morning when I have more time to get it prepared.