I have a question

You're on Page 4 of 7
Go to
  • when cooking veggies and meat together always put the veggies on the bottom.
  • How right you are. I guess I should have mentioned putting the vegies on the bottom of the crock pot, UNDER the meat, this is important in the finished product, Thanks for mentioning it.
    Annette
  • that's about the extent of my knowlege on crockpots

I am just learning the ends and outs of it. My first roast was so bad I threw it out , along with my beans

Give me regular pots and pans and I can whip up anything
  • Quote:
    Originally posted by MKS
    Thanks! I think I will try at least one meal this week. I know I have a brisket in the freezer & I think I have a roast too. I have also been meaning to add an address that I have looked at for crockpot recipes. It is: http://southernfood.about.com/librar.../bl6orless.htm
    I have only tried one of the meatloaf recipes & it was good.
    Thanks again,
    john11v5a
    Thanks for the cooking website I have not seen this one yet. Will keep it in my favorites. Sueanne

• Question--why is it recommended to put the veggies on the bottom of a crockpot? If you have a roast on top of them, doesn't it make the veggies mushy? What would happen if you reverse the positions of meat and veggies? Wouldn't the meat cook all right, or is it that the veggies would dry out on top?
    I have a crockpot, but haven't used it very much, so don't have the experience most of you may have.
  • crock pots
    Jeanie - don't make it too hard on yourself. Crockpots are 'dump and run' dinners. Dump everything in it in the a.m., run around all day, and have a delicious hot dinner waiting when you come home.

Blondie - Maybe the veggies need to be on the bottom because they'll float when their cooked? Don't know exactly - I'd have to say that I don't always put them in the bottom - but I do make sure there's enough fluid to completely cover them. Sometimes some of them look a little dried out but once you cover them with a gravy they look just fine.

Here's a good beef soup recipe that makes a delicious dinner with a fresh loaf of bread and butter.

1 chuck roast (cheap) (I usually buy 2-3 lb)
    1 bag frozen mixed veggies (green bean corn peas)
    1 Chopped onion (I chop fine so kids can't find them !!!)
    1 large can tomato juice (I think it's less than 1 quart size)
    additional water to cover.

I cook it all day. When done remove meat and tear apart. Serve with noodles if desired. You could thicken a little if you'd like and make a stew like dinner. This is Especially delicious the next day. Soups and stews usually are!

Nan
  • Meat On Top?
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Blondie

Question--why is it recommended to put the veggies on the bottom of a crockpot? If you have a roast on top of them, doesn't it make the veggies mushy? What would happen if you reverse the positions of meat and veggies? Wouldn't the meat cook all right, or is it that the veggies would dry out on top?
    I have a crockpot, but haven't used it very much, so don't have the experience most of you may have.

I think it is because the meat can release it juices better & not get too soupy. I try not to add more water than is needed. Some people feel it is better to brown the meat first before putting in the crockpot for color appearances. My Husband likes to see it this way. Roast come out different than in the oven more stringy. I like it for a change of pace. Make sure it is not to fatty if you are on a special diet. Sueanne
  • My crockpot recipe book said to put the veggies on bottom cause they cook slower than the meat??????????

I think I'll try it the other way around just to see if it's true!!!!

I made a roast the other day put potatoes, carrots and sliced onions on bottom, the roast on top then dry onion soup mix .. it was wonderful.
  • jeanie--

did you add any water to the roast? how long did you cook it? I just bought a roast and need a really good recipe.

gina.
  • Crockpot Roast

jeanie--

How big a roast did you cook, and how long did you cook it? Your idea about the onion mix on top sounds good.