Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yours sounds like the one I have, it was my mother's and is really old, but still works. I'm not sure about the settings, but this is how I use mine... I take a frozen roast (almost every Sunday) put it in the Crock Pot on high with maybe a 1/2 c. of water. Once the outside of the meat begins to thaw I sprinkle a pkg. of dry onion soup over it. Then depending on the size of the roast I turn it down in the afternoon and through in some baby carrots about 3 hr. before supper. The really great thing about Crock Pots is you can eat when you are ready and not at a specific time.

My favoriate chicken Crock Pot is chicken, either whole or boneless pieces, enough for the family. Then pour a can of chicken broth over it and a pkg. of dry onion soup mix and let her cook till dinner. Serve over rice, noodles or plain. The broth makes great gravy too!;-)
Old 07-31-2002, 06:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Crockpot cooking

Ok, more questions. I'm glad to hear someone puts the meat in frozen. Does anyone else do that? Do you put the chicken in frozen? Would it be possible to put in a frozen roast on Sat night (say around11:30) cook on high all night, then add spices, turn to low & wait till after chruch to eat it (say around 12:45)? Or would that be over cooking? Should any liquid be added to the frozen roast.
john11v5a
Old 07-31-2002, 09:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have never tried putting something in that is frozen, but I would think you would have to cook it on low, not on high, so it wouldn't dry out, but maybe somebody has done that before and can tell us because I would be interested to know as well.

I cook my turkey at Christmas overnight at a low temperature and that works.

Have a great day.
Shelly
Old 07-31-2002, 03:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Frozen meat/crock pot

Something tells me I read NOT to place frozen meat in crockpot. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with bacteria. In 25years of cooking with crockpot I have NEVER placed frozen meat in pot to start. Best to shop in your freezer a day or two before and let it defrost in fridge. Better safe than sorry - you do not want to get ill on food poisoning!

Nan
Old 07-31-2002, 04:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

crock pots and frozen meat

;-) How right you are!! I have also read an article on NOT putting frozen meat to cook in the crock pot because of the problem of food contamination, RE: bacteria, etc. WHO WANT'S FOOD POISONING. I personally would not ever put frozen roasts or chicken in a crock pot to cook, I wouldn't want to take a chance. I once had food poisoning and it is NO FUN, I spent 12 Hrs. at the hospital getting IV fluids to re-hydrate me.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I appreciate the info on the frozen food - hadn't thought of that perspective. I haven't tried it before and now I think I'm quite glad that I hadn't.

Thanks,
Shelly
Old 08-03-2002, 05:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, I'm convinced. No frozen meat. That is good info.
So if I wanted to start a defrosted roast on Sat night at 11:30
would 12 to 14 hours be too long to cook it? Add the carrots & potatoes at 8:00 in the morning. I've cooked pinto beans all night & up until lunch the next day, but I'd like to be able to do a whole meal that way. What do y'all think?
Old 08-03-2002, 04:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sunday Roast

I'm thinking you want Sunday dinner at Noon. I don't think 12-14 hours would be too long, especially if the roast will be a good size one. I'd probably put the veggies in at the beginning too. I'd question whether they'd be done 4-5 hours later (if you put them in at 8am.)

If we could all plan on using the crock pot 2-3 times a week, just think how easy 'what's for dinner ' would be! I'm going to try PLANNING to use it more when the kids go back to school.

Good luck! Nan
Old 08-03-2002, 07:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks! I think I will try at least one meal this week. I know I have a brisket in the freezer & I think I have a roast too. I have also been meaning to add an address that I have looked at for crockpot recipes. It is: http://southernfood.about.com/librar.../bl6orless.htm
I have only tried one of the meatloaf recipes & it was good.
Thanks again,
john11v5a
Old 08-04-2002, 07:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking

MKS, as far as I know, it takes just as long or LONGER for vegies to cook in a crock pot than it does for meat.

I will check out the web sight you posted for recipes. I can never get enough.

Annette2