Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What is old bay seasoning? I have seen a few recipes that call for this but have never heard of it before.

gina.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chicken in crockpot

When you cook the chicken in the crockpot without water, does it bake?

About the only thing I don't like about the crockpot is that everything is in gravy like sauces, gravy, stews. I never tried without water.

Anyother suggestions for no - little fluid recipes?

Nan
Old 07-29-2002, 02:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

i found a little steamer basket i put in the pot upside down and put the chicken on top of that with just enough water not to touch the chicken this worked pretty good. or maybe if you have a smnall round raised rack of some kind i was lucky to have found the little steeamer basket ithe holes in it...........gook luck as far as i know you need some water always maybe more poeple out ther know more about any water at all....
Old 07-29-2002, 05:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi:

Old Bay Seasoning is a type of seasoning that you would find on crabs or steamed shrimp. You can normally find it in most seafood sections and in the spice section where they keep the seafood seasonings. I am originally from Maryland and grew up with Old Bay on everything. It's especially good on corn on the cob. I don't find it overly spicy but there are somethings it just a good spice for.

As far as the waterless chicken - I hadn't heard of it before either. I found it here on this web site and tried it. I think it bakes it in a convection sort of way because of the overall heat with scorching. It was especially nice to have the drippings, which are great for gravy or the grease can be skimmed and the juice saved for chicken soup stock. I really like being able to use the cheap chickens and make a good meal. We eat mostly chicken, fish and turkey around here so something good and easy to make for me is a wonderful treasure.

Oh the time to cook the chicken is 9-10 hours (in case I didn't say so earlier).

I would imagine that you could do the same thing with turkey. Red meats I'm not sure about because they tend to dry out without some kind of liquid but then again, I may try that next. I have a friend that puts potatoes (cut) in the bottom to keep her meat off the bottom, then the roast and then carrots. She uses a little water with it too I think, seasons it up and then turns it on.

Oh, the brisket was soooo yummy. Our company we had for dinner had never had it before and now my girlfriend's husband insists she get the recipe and they have it at home. If you've never had this before you should try it.

Have a blessed evening.

Shelly
Old 07-29-2002, 05:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Shelly9963--

okay 2 questions, does it matter which way you put the chicken in the cp? and does old bay seasoning taste at all fishy?

thanks

gina.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Gina:

The chicken I bought fit in my crockpot with the breast side up (same way you bake them).

No - that seasoning does not at all taste fishy. It's base I think is red pepper, paprika, salt, pepper and I'm not sure what else. If you take a big mouthful it's pretty spicy but really good flavoring on the meat and if you eat the seasoning in moderation, it won't over power you, if you know what I mean.

My oldest boy, James, eats it on most everything. I don't find it tastes very good on red meats but it does real well with white meats and fish of any kind. I use it with crab cakes that I make and if you've ever had crab cakes you have probably had Old Bay. There are very few places that don't use Old Bay in their crab cakes.

I also use Nature's Seasoning on chicken and any other white meat. That's a good one that doesn't have any "kick", no red pepper in it all. You could use it if you can't find the Old Bay or if you don't like it.

Hope this helps.

I'm off to snooze land....

Shelly
Old 07-29-2002, 09:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you Shelly, that sounds really good, we love spicy food.

I will go to the grocery to see if they have it here in CA.

gina.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

Found this conversion chart somewhere on the web. I think it may be of some help to you.

Oven To Crockpot Conversions
For most crock pots, the low setting is about 200 degrees F. and the high setting is about 300 degrees F.
One hour on high is equal to 2 to 2 1/2 hours on low.
Here are the conversions for regular ovens to crockpots:
15 to 30 minutes oven = 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours on high in crockpot or 4-6 hours on low. 35 to 45 minutes oven = 3 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. 60 minutes to 3 hours oven = 4-5 hours on high or 8-18 hours on low.
Most uncooked meat and vegetable combinations require at least 8 hours on low.

And here is a great website for more recipes.
http://chetday.com/healthyrecipesmenu.htm

Hope this helps end your confusion.
Sue
Old 07-30-2002, 07:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Crockpot brisket

I recently got a 6 qt crock pot. I'd like to try the brisket recipe, but could I double it for this size cp? If I could double it, would I need to cook it longer? How much longer? I am not an adventurous cook, and it sure helps to be able to ask questions!

john11v5a
Old 07-30-2002, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes, you can double the recipe. I did yesterday. Mine is the large sized crockpot as well. I put in 6 pounds of brisket instead of 3 and doubled the rest of the ingredients (2 cups ketchup, 1/2 cup grape jelly, 2 onion soup packets and the pepper 1/2 tsp I think) and no I did not cook it longer, at least not on purpose anyway. I cooked it longer only because my company came later than usual but only an extra hour and I don't think it made any difference.

We loved it and the left overs made great sandwiches if you slice it thin enough or cut up in chunks, mixed with leftover gravy and pour over rice.

I did notice a little more grease this time than I had the last time in the sauce once it was done cooking, but I skimmed most of it off before serving.

Have a great day!

Shelly