FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Crock Pot & Pressure Cooker (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crock-pot-pressure-cooker/)
-   -   I have a question (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crock-pot-pressure-cooker/3088-i-have-question.html)

Annette2 08-08-2002 10:35 PM

vegies and meat in the crock pot

ROFLMAO My slow cooker cook book also says " Because they cook more slowly than meats, generally place fresh vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, celery and onions, in the bottom and around the sides of the slow cooker then place meat on top."
Slow cookers are notoriously slow when cooking vegies and smaller pieces cook faster.

POT ROAST WITH CREAMY MUSHROOM SAUCE

2 TO 2 1/2 lb. boneless beef roast
1 envelopr dry onion soup mix
10 3/4 oz. can cream of mushroom soup

1. Place roast in slow cooker, Sprinkle with the dry soup mix. Top with mushroom soup.

2. Cover. Cook on High 1 hour and then on low 8 hrs., or until meat is tender.

Variation:
Add cubed potatoes and sliced carrots before adding beef. Proceed with directions above.

Hope this is of some help

Annette

jeanie 08-09-2002 05:39 AM

I don't think I added any water, but not real sure l it was a good size roast. just big enough fo fill my 6 qrt crockpot. I'll get the recipe and have it Monday........ no computer at home

Blondie 08-09-2002 05:59 AM

:daisy:
:cat:

Annette & jeanie--

Thanks for your suggestions. As I said before, the onion soup mix sounds good, but learned I will have to cut the veggies in smaller pieces than I did once before--but not TOO small, possibly, but not TOO small, hm?

Blondie 08-09-2002 06:06 AM

:daisy: :cat:

OOPS!--Sorry about the doubling of that one part. The yellow box leaps ahead so fast, I had to return to that part, and when I didn't see it there, re-wrote it. Then didn't know it was on twice until I reviewed the post. --Doesn't anyone else have that problem??

jeanie 08-09-2002 06:24 AM

Blondie

I don't cut mine too small, cause I cook my roast until it just falls apart and the veggies tend to get a little mushy if the veggies are too small.:eek:

I made one roast where I didn't want veggies, well i had planned to make shredded bbq beef, but opted a different waay later.... anyway,

I sliced a large onion, placed on bottom, then placed the roast on top. No water... When the roast was done the juices looked so good that I made a flour and water thickener and added it to the juice to make a wonderful roast gravy...after I removed the roast. Added some salt and pepper. Let it cook til thickened..... Man , it was soooooooooo good :heart:

I made another one just like the onion soup mix and added brown gravy mix also... IF I added water it was only a small amount 1/4 cup maybe. The juices from the meat plus the steam is just about all you need, I have found. It was good but a little to salty for me.

I have been collecting crockpot recipes the last couple of months, so I am anxious to try the ALL!! :-D

MKS 08-09-2002 06:34 AM

Brisket in Crockpot

OH MY!! Shelly, we ate the brisket with grape jelly recipe last night & it was fantastic! I recommend everybody try that one.
Who first thought to put grape jelly with onion soup mix & pepper? An odd combination that works. Now I'll be watching for brisket to go on sale again!
MKS

jeanie 08-09-2002 06:49 AM

my sister-in-law made either meatballs or little smokies, in the crock, using grape jelly... it was wonderful

Do ya think I could sub a roast for the brisket?

MKS 08-09-2002 09:06 AM

That's funny. I was just commenting to my sister the other day that our Dad simmered either meatballs or lil' smokie in apple butter & they were good too. I bet you could sub the roast for the brisket, but I'm not the expert. That was only the third time I have cooked anything except beans in the crock pot.
MKS

jeanie 08-09-2002 09:24 AM

MKS

0h, I love apple butter!! :heart:
Do you know the recipe?? :-D

Shelly9963 08-09-2002 09:39 AM

MKS:

Glad you liked the brisket. I have to admit it is one of my favorites. I saw a brisket the other day at Sam's Club for $1.69/pound. I was in shock. The price at Wal-Mart is whole lot cheaper ($0.87 to $0.99/pound). The last time I found one for $.87/pound I bought the biggest they had and then had three-double meals in my freezer.

I've heard of the meatballs and smokies with grape jelly too, but it's made with something else too isn't it? Barbecue sauce or something like that I think. I would like to know that recipe myself as my hubby like those little smokies.

I would assume you could use a roast in substitution for the brisket, but it will be different in some respects because it's a different cut of beef. But if you're like me - beef is beef.:-D

I like stewed tomatoes over my roasts in the crockpot. Hubby likes this dish too especially when I use homemade stewed tomatoes.

Hope you all have a great weekend. I'm off for an overnight leadership retreat with my hubby with our church. Enjoy everyone!!

8-)

Shelly

jeanie 08-09-2002 09:51 AM

shelly9963

yes, there is something else in it and ws wondering the same thing..... what it is.........

I have emailed my sil. as soon as I find out I will pass it along ::-)::

I' m going to go ahead and try the roast........ it couldn't turn out to be any worse than the one I threw out :ugh:

indnan 08-10-2002 03:27 PM

Brisket

Silly question - What's a brisket like? Beef? Corned Beef? Pork?
Never had one. At 1.00 per pound I'd be willing to give it a try!:)

Shelly9963 08-11-2002 01:36 PM

Brisket is a cut of beef - not sure from where. It is NOT corned beef - big difference. I find it to be similiar to a roast but I am definitely no expert. Like you, when I can find something for a buck or less a pound I try to find ways to make something with it. Our grocery budget is too tight for high dollar meats - we save that for rare occasions.:.

You could probably ask a meat cutter at the grocery store to find out more about it, or probably the internet if you looked hard enough for it. I'm not real sure I want to know what part of the cow it comes from though...:-D

Shelly8-)

Jeannie 08-11-2002 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Y'all..

Brisket comes from the top of the front legs of the cattle.
It's the same cut that is used for corned beef...only this is fresh,
not brined....(cured).....Brisket
Brisket area meat is a versatile cut of meat for slow cooking. It's an especially popular cut of meat for barbequing. You will see brisket used in barbeques in Texas and other Southern States. Brisket meat is pickled for corned beef.

indnan 08-11-2002 03:00 PM

brisket

Sounds like a winner to me^^

I'll keep my eye out for it on sale in the newspaper and I'll check websites for recipes.

Have a good night!
Nan:cat:

Jeannie 08-11-2002 03:37 PM

Here is the very best oven brisket recipe I've ever found..and it's from the texas beef org.
We have been lucky enough to find brisket on sale for 39 cents a lb...yes I said 39 cents!.

I am typing it just as it appears, with my notes attached..... *s*

Texas Oven Brisket
This is an absolutely wonderful way to cook brisket. The result is tender, succulent and flavorful. And it's practically foolproof. The wonderful aroma will fill your house and make you, and anyone else who comes along, impatient for it to get done.

Ingredients and Notes follow

* 4 to 6 lb. Fresh beef brisket, trimmed
* 1 C Barbecue sauce (your favorite) [ I use KC Masterpiece original]
* C Worcestershire sauce
* C Liquid smoke (Colgin's is best) [ I don't use because KC Masterpiece has just the right amount of smokey taste for me.....If you really like extra smokey then use it]
* 1 T Garlic powder
* 2 t Celery salt
* 2 t Lemon pepper
* 1 t Salt
* 1 C Chopped onion
* C Water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 275-300 F.-

In a large Pyrex baking dish, thoroughly mix all ingredients for sauce. Put the brisket in the baking dish, and turn it over once to coat it with the sauce. Seal the dish with heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Bake at 275F for 5 to 6 hours. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 1 hour before slicing. Slice across the grain, and serve with sauce. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Notes:
This recipe works well with a 5- to 6-pound brisket. Be sure to use a Pyrex baking dish, a corning ware or very heavy metal pan.
I made a 4 lb one cooked for 5 hrs.......served with Bush's country baked beans, Niblets corn, and home made coleslaw..( 1 pkg of
chopped cabbage..red and green with carrot, some Hidden Valley ranch Coleslaw dressing thinned a little with pineapple juice....about 3 tablespoons per half bottle or so)

I heated left overs in a pan covered with foil...at 300 degrees or so.....about 1 1/2 hrs til hot.....remember it's cold from the refrigerator.... and it was as good as the first time served.

MKS 08-11-2002 05:12 PM

Where do you find a 5 lb brisket? I always see large ones. Mine was 12 lb. It worked out fine though, because I cut it in half & used Shelley's recipe in the crockpot & my sister's in the oven.
The only bad thing with that was we wanted both for dinner that night (and fitting it all in the fridge.) For several days since, I haven't had to worry much about what's for supper.
John 11:5a
MKS

MKS 08-11-2002 05:18 PM

Oh, jeannie, it may take me a while to find out about the apple butter & little smokies. That one may have been just the apple butter, but I'll check with relatives.
MKS

Jeannie 08-11-2002 06:03 PM

HI MKS....

I always buy a whole brisket, they are cryo-vac packed.
I buy one about 10 lbs...no larger than 12...and cut it in
either 2 or 3 pieces depending on what size I want.

It does have to be trimmed especially if you are going to bake it...
however, I trim it lightly if I am going to grill it.

I prefer the recipe I posted.....it works well, it's delicious and I have never had a complaint, in fact, one of the former president's chef, always made it in the oven.....*grinning* and no one knew...

You can make it in a crock pot..... on the grill...or bake it....
I've made it all three ways and we all prefer the baked... *s*

Jeannie

indnan 08-12-2002 02:46 AM

Brisket

Jeannie - recipe sounds delicious. Can't wait to try it.

Nan

jeanie 08-15-2002 08:37 AM

shelly99623....... my sil said the only thing she remembers putting in with th e grape jelly is a can of Hormel chili along with the meat (smokies or meatballs?) she couldn't remember......... anyway, she added all that to the crockpot.....

MKS... don't worry about getting the recipe. I just thought you might know it........... ;)

MKS 08-15-2002 08:50 AM

Too late. :) It is just the apple butter. Just tell people it is your secret recipe & wink.

barbszy 10-12-2002 02:37 PM

About putting veggies on the bottom, under the meat:
I do this with potatoes, carrots, peppers and onions. BUT, when I make a pot roast or beef stew, my family loves lots of mushrooms in it. I find that it's better to leave the mushrooms whole, and put them on top of the meat. Also, I cut the liquid even more because mushrooms will contribute liquid to the recipe. It's amazing how much even the "big" mushrooms will shrink after 8 hours in the crock pot!:)

rainequilts 10-12-2002 04:33 PM

I use grape jelly and chili sauce in with the Little Smokies. It sounds weird, but tastes great. I believe the chili sauce is the Heinz brand.

:daisy:

jeanie 10-14-2002 07:45 AM

I think my sil's was probably the chili sauce too, cause I have seen many recipes that way and none from chili. Whichever.....it was really good.

MKS 09-05-2003 11:10 AM

Hello all!

No one has posted here for a while. Is this thread still open? I just wanted to share what I did last week. I have made 2 out of three of Shelly9963's receipes on page one of this thread. I have now come to call the first one Shelly Jelly Roast or Brisket. It is sooooo good & I save the left overs to add to another of my own favorite receipes which is Brunswick Stew. Next I modified the second receipe. I took cheap chicken thighs, took the skin off & since I have never seen or tried old bay seasoning, I used a powdered BBQ seasoning I like. It was very very good. The flavor had gone all throughout the chicken instead of just the outer layer. Usually my dh is not enthusiastic about chicken on the bone receipes, but he actually said it was really good with no coaxing at all. He also said he couldn't tell it was dark meat, which is another good sign as he really prefers the more expensive white meat (which I don't prefer & don't like to buy!) And both receipes are very easy!! I hope to really begin using my crock pot more & more. This is a good step forward for me.
Thanks Shelly!

barbszy 01-05-2004 09:05 AM

How to do this in a crockpot?

I'd like to make this recipe in the crockpot instead of the oven, but I'm afraid I'll end up with a really THIN sauce instead of the nice thick sauce I get when I oven-bake this recipe. Any suggestions?

SAUCY BAKED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken pieces
1 tbl olive oil
8 oz fresh mushrooms, halved
1 large onion cut in thin wedges
1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp sage
Italian seasoning to taste
1 tsp minced garlic

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides in 1 tbl olive oil.
Transfer chicken to 3 qt baking dish.
Cook mushrooms & onions in same skillet as chicken was cooked in. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water & spices.
Spoon vegetable sauce over chicken.
Bake uncovered 40 min. at 375.

Jeannie 01-05-2004 10:32 AM

barbszy....

Prepare the ingredients as if you were going to bake...
Then put the veggies on the bottom of the crock...
add the chicken, and everything else....and cut the water in half.
Check it half way through cooking.....you can always add a bit of boiling water if it's too thick.

You can always turn the crock on high if too much sauce forms, or you can thicken the sauce with a little flour toward the end of cooking.

I would use chicken broth in place of water if you have some.
Remember to reserve some of your seasonings because crocking dissipates the flavors....add them the last few minutes.

However, you should be ok with it because tomato paste is very concentrated..... *s*

You might want to add a green pepper cut in chunks and 2 cloves of garlic to give it a flavor boost, ...just a suggestion. *s*

Cook low 6-8 hours... or high 3-4 hours

barbszy 01-05-2004 11:21 AM

THANK YOU Jeannie! I will try your suggestions! That all makes sense. I really hope this works, because we like this recipe but it does take time to put together at a time of day when the Big Kids need me for homework help, and Luke is at his crabbiest....so the crock pot would let me do it in the morning when I have more time to get it prepared.