Tips for slow cookers

• A friend's daughter recently started using her first crockpot and she called me and asked "Give me some tips" for using it correctly! Never thought much about that myself.....then started thinking way back when I was a new cook and there were some things that would have been nice to know early on! So if you have any tips you can add here please do!

Here is what I gave her:

Brown any meats before you put them in the crockpot if you are used to them being browned and you aren't cooking the meat in a gravy. It also takes away some of the fats before you put them in the crockpot.

Make sure you fill the crockpot 2/3 to 3/4 full, a crockpot will cook better this way.

Crockpot cooking doesn't allow for evaporation of liquids so don't add extra liquids even if the ingredients seem dry before you start cooking.

Don't peek! : Every time you do you have to add 15 to 20 minutes to the cooking time.

Add your vegetables last; Tomatoes, mushrooms and zucchini are a few that don't require long cooking time, so to keep their color, texture and flavor add last unless you are using a true "crockpot" recipe.

Do you have any tips?