Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Painting on Wood

Printed from the Family Corner Creativity Newsletter

Painting On Wood
The popularity of tole and decorative painting has exploded in recent years. With many small craft shops and large craft supply stores now offering classes with experienced teachers, even the most 'uncreative' person can learn to paint like a pro. The new painting supplies and innovative patterns available today all but beg people to pick up a brush and give it a try, and once certain techniques and methods are learned and the finished product displayed most newbies are hooked on this gratifying hobby. There is something extremely satisfying about saying Yes, I made that myself!

The following are a few tips and/or tricks I have learned or stumbled upon since I began painting to make the job go faster, better or easier.

Always varnish or shellac then lightly sand knot holes - there's nothing worse than having worked hard on a project only to discover a short while later that a knot hole bleeds through.

For patterns that are used often cut them out of card board or plywood with a scroll saw - this saves your tracing pattern as well as a lot of time.

Instead of a paint pallet or margarine lid I use plain old wax paper folded in two - no messy clean up - just throw it way.

If you use a large amount of paint as I do, consider buying your most used colors in quarts - many paint stores will now mix to match, this saves a great deal of money in the long run. But be sure you'll use it all in a timely manner as it will dry up over time.

When painting a large number of small items, stack the items in piles that are comfortable to hold in one hand and paint all the sides at once - a real time saver!

When staining a large number of small items, try using a small strainer and dipping them into the stain.

If you use a brush to stain with, wrap in plastic and store in the freezer for next time - just let it warm up and it's read to go! No clean-up.

When basecoating use the largest brush possible - I prefer the foam brushes for this as they leave fewer stroke marks.

For large projects consider a small sponge roller for basecoating - this saves a great deal of time and gives a really nice finish

Save those old toothbrushes for splattering your projects.

Don't have a checkerboard stencil? No problem - just cut a sponge into a small square, lightly dampen and use it as a stamp.

Beware if you are using a permanent ink marker for your line work - many will smear if you use a brush on varnish - try using several light coats of spray varnish instead.

A plastic runner is great for drying items - just place the 'toothy' side up - this will prevent marks on the backs of your projects.

ALWAYS finish the backs of your projects - they're really not complete unless you do.

And a few more tips for when your project is completed:

Take a small dent out of wood by placing a damp cloth on top of the mark and iron on medium - it really does work!

Vodka or rubbing alcohol will take paint out of clothing and carpets.

About the Author
Caroline Dick is a professional decorative artist. She lives in rural Ontario with her husband, Bryan and two children, Melissa and Cory.

Did you like this article? You can have many more interesting articles emailed to you just by signing up for the Family Corner newletters:

http://www.thefamilycorner.com/services/lists.shtml

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-13-2016, 02:40 AM
Head Moderator

bump

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life