Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 02-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Fabric sale purchases

I went to Joann's sale yesterday. I got three different shades and prints of lavenders/ purples for a quilt. I also got a really pretty soft blue and pink floral print. Then a mauvie colored small leaf print. I also ordered some "gone fishing" print to make a toilet tank set for my husbands bathroom. He is decorating it in fish motif. It will be cute when done.
So, what are your new projects?
I may go back before the sale is over for more fabrics. It doesn't get less expensive than the $1.99 per yard that is on sale for now.
Happy Quilting.
Now I wish I had it all washed up and ready to cut !
Old 02-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

WOW! $1.99 a yard!! That is absolutely unheard of here in Canada!

In the quilt shops here you are really lucky if a meter(our equivilent to about a yard) of fabric is under $20. The best sales we ever get are about $8-10 a meter. Is it alright to be envious about this? I hope so, because I really am! Sometimes, I am shocked at how much the fabric is for a quilt here. By the time you buy all the yardage necessary it can be over $200.

Good for you, Linda Lou! Wish I could go shopping with you!

Happy Quilting!
Jenna
Old 02-04-2004, 02:51 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow! I would never quilt then, if it were expensive. Funny thing is, many of the calico quilt fabrics here are actually coming from Canada. Isn't that interesting? The clerk at the shop told me that yesterday.
I wonder how much shipping would be to send fabrics to you ?
Also, at Christmas I bought socks that were made in Canada. They are very nice and soft,too.
I went back and purchase fabric for the back of my quilt since it was on sale. The store was so crowded the other day, that I just got the top fabrics.
I spent $35 US dollars the other day, but I got more than for just my quilt. I got several other 2 yard pieces, as well. The backing yesterday was $9 US.
There is a specialty quilt shop with fabrics that are $8- $10 range per yard. They are on sale at times for $6 there. But, these are really high end fabrics.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quilting

I have just recently started quilting. I went out and bought me a sewing machine. I have been shopping for material on Ebay. I have found some real good deals. I am now looking for some Denver Broncos material, my husband loves them and wants me to make him a quilt. Does anyone know where I might find some?? Its so hard to find around here where I live.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Momofcdn, that is really nice you got a sewing machine. If I see any of the Denver Broncos fabric, I will let you know. I may get a chance to go to the fabric store tomorrow.
I need to get some border fabric and batting for my quilt. Then I can start quilting it ! This time, I am trying maching quilting. I really don't want to spend a year on this one hand quilting it.
You know, I don't know how long a rotary cutter blade should last, but I just seem to get through cutting one quilt and it is chewing the fabric all up. I am sawing to get through it. Is this normal ?
Old 02-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Linda Lou,

I usually use a rotary blade for at least two or three good sized quilts without it dulling. However, I have had some that seem to have dull spots in them and won't cut on that place very well. They can really be a pain! You have to go back and recut over and over. I actually took one back that was particularly bad.

I bought a couple of fat quarters today for a Christmas quilt I am planning. It is the Pineapple pattern in red, green and light taupey/beige colors, all scrappy. It think I am about finished collecting fabrics for this one, I should just get working on it!

Good luck with your machine quilting, I am really not very good at it. Hope you have better luck than I do!

Jenna

Last edited by Jenna; 02-20-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jenna, that is what the blade was doing. It was one spot more than the whole blade. I kept running over the fabric, back and forth. Today I got a pack of five blades. I got Olfa brand this time, seems to work fine in my Dritz cutter. Saw some man who will sharpen them or will send you new blades for a resonable price if you send him your old ones. Not sure how good of a deal it would be. I will have to read more on his site and see. I just briefly looked at it.
I got one of those even feed feet for my machine, so I am going to try to use it.
This is only my second quilt. The first one was all hand quilted. Took about a year. I don't want to put that kind of time into this one. I want to try machine quiliting.

Do you always hand quilt or tie them ? I heard you were a wonderful quilter with lots of good knowledge. I am sure it is all true.

Your new quilt sounds lovely. I will have to take a look at the pineapple pattern to get more of an idea how it will look.

Need to go, we are going out for Thai food with our neighbor.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Linda Lou,
I have heard that you can get blades sharpened, but I have never found anyone in my area that is doing this. I saw a couple of ads in quilt magazines, but I don't know how much I would save sending them in the mail to someone.

I have sent quilts out to be quilted on a long-arm machine, but I have never successfully machine quilted using my own machine. It has a tendancy to skip stitches when the work is thick, so I haven't been very successful. Mostly, I hand quilt my quilts. I really enjoy the process! I find it relaxing and just pleasant. I have the most wonderful sterling silver thimble that my DH bought for my birthday a number of years ago. It is open in the front and has deep holes on the pad of the finger. You don't use the end of the thimble, like you do with most quilting thimbles. I find it much easier on my wrists and fingers. It is a much more natural position. It took some getting used to, since I had the other kind of thimble, but I would never go back now!

Jenna
Old 02-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't know what they charge there to do a quilt on the long arm machine. Here in US dollars, it is $85 for a queen size. We were just talking at dinner wondering if a person could make money if they had one of those machines and quilted them for people.

Perhaps if I were more experienced, then I would put more money into having it quilted. I did enjoy the handquilting, though. I just want to try different methods. I learn so much each time I do something new. I am thinking, and perhaps you can give me some input, on making the one for my bed in sections. I was thinking of quilting it in three sections, then joining the sections together. It will need to be about 100 inches by 120 inches. I don't know how to convert to metric, sorry. It is a high bed and the mattress is very thick. I need a way to be able to layer it and put it all together. I have a chronic back problem and have to do things to accomodate my limitations. I can't get down on the floor to do it, either. My first quilt, I laid on top of my bed and put it together, then basted it while it was still on the bed. It was a full size quilt. Then, I hand quilted it, using a 12 inch square Qsnap frame. I just started in the middle and worked from there. It turned out really nice. I don't know if I could sit and work on one of the large floor frames or not. So, any tips you can give me would be appreciated.

I have not found a thimble I like. I will check out the type you are using. I use the pad of my finger. I can't do it from the end, like a regular thimble. I tried the little sticky ones. Then, I actually just tried using a couple layers of duct tape ! I have leather one my friend bought me as a gift. It is too large and bulky. The stitching around it gets caught on the quilting thread.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

LindaLou, just let me know if you find any Broncos material. I am going out to a fabric store today and might find some.

I am inthe process of fixing my Mom a quilt too. She said the other day that she makes them for other people but doesn`t have any for herself. She is working on a Wedding Ring quilt for me and my husband. She just finished a Winnie the Pooh quilt for my sister and it took her a year to hand quilt. She just takes her time. She belongs to a quilting group at her church too. They quilt on Mondays. They take orders from other people.

I have thought about fixing quilts and putting them on Ebay to sale. I have bought some pieces from there and there are alot for sale too. Never no could be a way of making some money.