Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I would not wash this quilt in a machine. I once ruined a small, very pretty satin-type quilt by doing this. I don't know what the batting was, but it was probably wool.

There is a quilting web site that has a booklet you can print out on the care of antique quilts but I can't find it at the moment. If I remember correctly, their directions are the same a Jenna's.

If you don't have the floor space to lay out the quilt you may want to wait until you can lay it out on the grass between towels or light quilts to dry.

I also remember once seeing something about covering a very worn quilt (too worn to be repaired) with a net-type fabric. The pattern of the quilt can be seen but the net protects it. I believe this was one for showing now rather than to use.

"Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands." ~Anne Frank
Old 01-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi JD-

I understand what you are saying. Jenna had some really good insight for me, we pm'd a bit about this quilt. The more I think about it, I have it soaking in the tub currently, I will wrap it up when it is dry and have the drycleaner preserve-box it for me. It is way too worn and not really what I would display. So no harm done in boxing it up. I do think that will be my best option.

Guess I need to break down and make an heirloom quilt to display, myself. Would love to do the double wedding ring and recently found a pattern for one online so will see what I can do.

Thanks for your advice. For drying it, I think I will pull in the four corner posts of my quilt frame and then gently drape the quilt over that. I also have center posts so the center will not sag. I plan to lay towels over the post tops to protect the quilt.

Thanks again for your advice!

Old 01-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My personal opinion is I would never take this to a dry cleaner especially if it is old and of sentimental value. I've heard too many horror stories from friends having old items ruined. They checked out the dry cleaners ahead of time and they were still ruined. Dry cleaners wouldn't even begin to pay you what it's worth if they ruined it. I think I would either wash it in a cold gentle cycle or just leave it alone and either hang it or put it somewhere for show and not use it.

With some other dry clean only items that I own, I washed them in cold water on the HAND WASH CYCLE of my washer and hung them on a hanger to dry. I only air dried in the dryer after they were completely dry to not get wrinkles in the clothing. Depending on the clothing some had to lay flat on towels. This worked well.

I was also going to say about the Dryel and those kind of dry cleaning products that you can use in your dryer but you would have to check the label on the package before you purchase it to see if it would work. I used those a few times and they worked well.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It's okay

The guy is a personal friend and the only thing he will do to the quilt is preserve-boxing. Besides his dw is an antique dealer/shop owner and she would strangle him if he ruined a quilt!!

But I see your point and I understand what you are saying. Will keep that in mind for future use.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Ima31girl,

I'm just happy to hear you found a solution. You could listen to ideas all day but you are there with the quilt and have made the best choice. I'm glad it all worked out for you!
Old 01-18-2004, 10:31 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you!

I appreciate that. BTW, I have noticed your little steaming cup icon and I love that. I am big into teas (and latte`s) so my kitchen and dining room are in Mary Englebreit prints I collect tea pots etc and so when I saw your little cup I loved it! I'd like to find a tiny tea pot...oh well, maybe someday.

I just ran across a quilt pattern that I forgot I had. I am thinking of starting it next week maybe. It is call "Hat Box" quilt. It is adorable. Will make a cute little wall hanging. Do you quilt, Lila? What are some of your favorite quilt patterns?

Currently I am NOT sewing a quilt. I am making hair scrunchies and hand puppets for an orphanage in the Ukraine. They have 88 children most of which have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Because of illness they don't get "nice things" or toys or such given to them. A group that I know here in town is gathering such things and shipping them over to their contact over near the orphanage. So I decided that since I have a lot of scrap fabric and felt in all the right colors.....I would make some things instead of purchasing! I have one week to do it to make the first shipment. Wish me luck!! Will look forward to hearing more about you and about your quilt likes~!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

ima31girl.

If you can email the picture to me, I'll post it for you.... *s*

[email protected]

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 01-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wonderful!

I will do that here in a minute! Thank you so much.

And you're little busy baking lady reminds me, I need to do bread tomorrow, also! Thanks alot! for the reminder!;-)
Old 01-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My old quilt issue!

I am going to try to give posting the pic of my quilt one more shot!
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

WOE!!!

Whatever did I do to get the pic THAT BIG? It is suppose to be a 'thumbnail' pic in my folder!! Sorry everyone!