Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, actually...

It is a pieced quilt ( but it appears that grandma may have already appliqued some places because I see hand stitching in places when up close.

I just emailed this site's tech support re posting my pic. Hopefully they will get back with me shortly. The pic i have of the quilt is actually pretty good considering my cheap camera.

The pattern itself is kind of interesting. Let me see if i can adequately describe it. It appears to possibly a 9-patch with the center of every block of 9 being the same fabric- this is every OTHER row and every OTHER small block. Some of her little squares are made up of strips of scraps and cut into quilt sq. The yarn ties are so old and worn they used to be bright red, mom said, but now they are more like a pink piece of popped popcorn!!

I am really hoping to send you the pics. I even tried through PM but to no avail. I tried through email to my friend yesterday, and it worked so guess i just don't know how to use the thread. Well, I think I will do the applique and I should cut the piece I applique so I have a, what, 1/2 or 1/4 turn under?

Your advise is always so good! Thanks a bunch!
Lynette
Old 01-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Lynette,

It sounds like your work will be a little easier since your quilt is tied rather than actual quilting. When repairing a quilt that has actual quilting stitches, you have to quilt the areas that you repair, trying to duplicate the stitches of the other quilter.

You can applique your repairs whether the quilt is pieced or appliqued to begin with. You just make your patch a little larger than the original piece, so you have something other than the backing and batting to stitch into. I hope this is making sense! You are actually appliqueing to the front surface of the surrounding patches. It is important that you make your stitches very small and close together, so the repair isn't easily detected and will stay on securely.

You can make your seam allowance as little as 1/8, up to 1/4 inch. Anything bigger makes the seam too bulky and difficult to turn under smoothly. It sounds like you have straight line to deal with, so I would probably go with the 1/4 inch. An 1/8 inch is good if there are curves and complicated appliques pieces, the appliques tend to be smoother with a smaller seam allowance. If your patches to be covered are not very straight, it is best to turn under your edges as you go, to match what the original quilter did.

Please let me know if this isn't entirely making sense!
Jenna
Old 01-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Once again, you explained very well!

I will do that this evening. I was kind of thinking that that is what I would need to do.

I grew up attending private schools (day academy) and our home-ec teacher spent alot of time in the sewing catagory with us girls and she showed us something similar and for some reason that stuck in my head but it did and then you re-iterated that for me.

Thank you. Will let you know how it goes. My husband gave me some $ to go buy myself a shelving unit to put together and put in my "office" closet. It is natural pine and a four-shelf unit so i can adjust the shelves and screw them in at my desired height. It will hold my rubbermaid totes of craft projects and then I can toss the old cardboard boxes. Wanted to get that done before I begin the work on the quit.

But thank you so much!! I appreciate all you help. as I mentioned earlier, will let check in and let you know how the repairs went!

Your help is a real blessing to me!
Lynette
Old 01-11-2004, 03:03 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

shelves are put together!

and am getting them organized~~ Wah-hoo!! organization at last!!
Old 01-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

hey leasmom!

Okay, girl! How are you doing on that project? Everything going okay?
Lynette
Old 01-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Lynette,

Oh, one of my favorite things to do...organize! Hope you have fun getting your craft area together!

I have been organizing and giving away items I no longer want or need, but still have value, since right after Christmas. I know, some people hate this type of thing, but I really enjoy it. I think it would be fun to be a professional organizer and help people get rid of their junk and get their possessions in order! I would like a job like they have on Clean Sweep(the televison show).

Good luck with all of your projects!
Jenna
Old 01-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hey Jenna-

I know what you mean! I find myself mentally arranging etc at my friend's house every so often. Not because she's cluttered or anything but she asked my advice once and I just mentally arrange ever since! ;-)

Oh well.......I am just about done. Would love to be near you as you clean:p I have been kind of "exchanging" craft/sewing stuff off and on. We have Dollar Stores here and they carry rubbermaid totes (clear with colored lids) and I like being able to see what is inside. So I am going to be needing some more of those soon. My button tote is near full, someday i will need to sort through those. Some of my collection are such LARGE buttons that I will never use them on anything. But it is kind of like Christmas reorganizing and arranging on my new shelves.

I wouldn't mind being a professional shopper either, though my husband says I already am (shop too much he says!)
Old 01-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Definitely check the type of material. Take it to the laundromat and place it in a front loading washer with cold water. Do not put it in the dryer. Take it home and hang it on a clothes line or dry it flat. Good Luck!
Old 01-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good Morning, Lila!

Thank you for your helpful idea. Will see how this quilt washes up. It is mostly calicos and flour/seed sack fabric. I have a feeling that it will not wash up quite like I hope that it will!

As for hanging it out on the clothesline? Well...We are under 8 inches of snow and it is currently snowing about 3/4 " per hour as I type this! Not what I was hoping for but hey, we need the water this summer!

will let you know how the washing goes!

Lynette
aka ima31girl
Old 01-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Ima31girl!

Oops! Yes, I was thinking summer. We are under some snow too. Do you have a room where you could lay it flat on top of some towels or do you have anything like one of those contraptions (can't think of the name of it) that you can hang your comforter over when not using it? I'm not too crazy about the clothes line thing for fear of it stretching. The only other option would be to AIR DRY only in the dryer.