Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 01-02-2004, 04:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question simple crochet question

I know how to do basic stitches by reading books/instructions. However, one thing I have never been clear on is: After you've completed your chain and you're about to make any stitch in the designated chain stitch, where, exactly do you put the hook? Does it go under just the top loop, or does it go under the top loop PLUS the back loop (so that there is actually three pieces of thread on your hook in a single crochet before you yarn over, for example?)

I've always just gone through the top loop but I think I've been doing it wrong! I've seen lots of instructions and some seem to go one way and others the other.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-03-2004, 01:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It has been a very long time since I have crocheted anything. If I have it in my hand I could tell you

But check out this page. It explains it very well: http://www.learntocrochet.com/instructions_cr.php3

PS.. I think you need to add an extra in but do NOT quote me on that.

Better yet, here is a page on Turning Chains: http://www.crochet.com/lessons/lessonr/rd6667.html
Old 01-07-2004, 05:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for your reply but I still don't see the answer to my question. I know how to TURN, I'm just not sure when I insert the hook into a chain stitch (any chain stitch) if it goes under just the top loop or should I also be putting it under the one top loop plus the bottom one.

Well, if I don't get an answer here, I'm sure I can find somebody around here who crochets!
Old 01-09-2004, 07:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

YES BUT... My question is: When you put the crochet hook into the chain in order to make your single crochet, WHERE EXACTLY IN THE STITCH DOES THE NEEDLE GO? NOT, WHICH STITCH DOES THE NEED GO INTO. Do you see?

I really appreciate your trying to help but I don't think you understand my question.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

simple crochet question

Hello.
Yes you have doing it correctly. At least that's the way I've been doing it for years...........maybe we are both wrong, but I dont think so.....
You just go under the top loop (two peices of yarn on hook before you yarn over).
Good luck with your crocheting!