Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 11-30-2003, 03:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lye Soap

Originally posted by OSI in Inexpensive Xmas Craft

Lye Soap
Yield: 26 to 30 bars

Ingredients:

6 lbs. Crisco ( I used generic brand just make sure itís 100% vegetable shortening)
2 cups distilled water
12 oz. Red Devil Lye

Prepare your molds, grease them with shortening. I used a large cookie sheet and 2 plastic shoe boxes

Use eye goggles and plastic gloves while making this product. In a large metal kettle (I used enamel) melt your shortening.

In a large glass bowl (I used pyrex) slowly mix 2 cups cold distilled water and 12 oz. Of lye with a wooden spoon (do not use metal). It will get very hot 200 degrees so be careful of splashes. It is best to do this outside because of the fumes.

Wait about 10 minutes for lye and shortening to cool down. Shortening should be around 90 degrees. Feel the outside of each container, they should be warm to the touch but not hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch.

When both are at the right temp. mix the shortening into the lye mixture slowly and stir with wooden spoon. If you have a stick blender or a old blender you could use just one beater, beat at lowest speed for about 10 minutes. Soap is ready when it looks like a custard or thick pudding. If you wish to add essence oils, now is the time to add and stir. Pour into prepared molds and cover with plastic wrap. In 24 hours you can cut your soap, then it must cure for 2 weeks. Take them out of the molds and set on newspaper, turn over occassionally.

When soap has hardened a bit, you can also use Christmas cookie cutters and cut into christmas trees, hearts, etc. also you can use some crayons cut up for coloring although they encourage buying the ones specifically for soap at the craft stores. My soap recipe renders a snowy white soap.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:53 AM

Typo in My Recipe

In looking at the above recipe, I realized that the ingredients aren't exactly right... it won't hurt you but it should've had 4 1/2 cups distilled water.

Anna
Old 01-31-2004, 03:17 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

Okay, just what is the real recipe?
Old 01-31-2004, 03:13 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, it's like OSI said. 4 cups of distilled water. That is what my recipe calls for. you need the extra 2 cups in there. other than that, it matches my recipe.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:15 PM

Thank you Ima31girl-

That is correct.

Welcome dadysewcool to our thread and if you have any further questions on this subject, please feel free to ask.

I make all kinds of soaps, candles, sachets, body dusting powders. You might also try some of the soap making sites on yahoo if you are real into making soaps and scents.

Anna