Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 03-07-2002, 07:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Any ideas for Tide or laundry bottles??

I am wondering if anyone has any useful or crafty ideas for empty or used up laundry bottles. I tried making a bird feeder out of one once, but the paint that I used came off and now it looks a bit silly in the backyard! I would like some ideas before I toss it in the recycling bin!! Thanks everyone!!
Old 03-13-2002, 06:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

laundry soap containers

I have no ideas for the bottles BUT I do make sewing boxes from the large size powder boxes.
I cover them inside and out with fabric and use the handles that are already on them. Earlier versions were nicer but even if you have to make a handle that is not difficult.
I put two side pockets inside to hold small items such as folding scissors or crochet hooks and pad the inside lid to use for needles or pins.
I never have sold them, just give them away for gifts. I am now using one covered with a bright blue and yellow sunflower print. Just used tacky glue or Elmer's. Smooth out the glue with the edge of an index card.
I usually put a velcro fastener on the outside.
I have been known to pull the boxes out of neighbor's trash pile on trash pick up day!!!
Jennie Bell
Old 03-14-2002, 03:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Empty Liquid Laundry Containers

--How abou using it as a watering can.
--cut the tops off and use for a plant pot.
--store motor oil
--cut top and use for recycling bins
--keep spare change in them (after if is fully cleaned out and dried)

I am still looking for other ideas....
Old 03-14-2002, 04:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I REALLY like the idea with the tide boxes! That is fantastic! Although I don't use powder detergent, I am actually considering switching from liquid so that I can do the projcets that were mentioned!

GREAT IDEA!!
Old 03-14-2002, 07:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Laundry bottle uses.

I think the best way I have ever used them is by refilling them with my own homemade laundry soap.

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap

1 Large cooking pot and stir stick
4 gallons of water
1 Bath size bar of Ivory soap (grated)
1 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax
Container/s to hold 4 gallons of soap

Grate Ivory and put in pot with one third the water< melt down<turn off heat< add Borax and stir< add rest of water < cool before you fill laundry bottles.

Will thicken up when cooled. Use one half cup or more for each load of laundry.

Also, I delute my Downey fabric softener in half and get twice as much for my money (well hubbies money lol ).

I make 27 gallons at a time and have for over a year. I'll NEVER buy laundry soap again.

spacedup in IN..
Old 03-24-2002, 07:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

For detergent bottles, DH uses one to hold his used needles from his insulin injections. When it is full, he puts the lid on and tapes it well and either recycles the whole thing (check with your City first) or takes it to the pharmacy and they dispose of it. But that only takes one bottle.
You could also cut various shapes out of the flat sides of the bottles to use for stencils for your young children to draw around or sort by size/shape/color, or if you quilt, make templates.
If you cut the bottom off about 1-2 inches high, you would have little storage trays for stuff. And then the top would be a giant funnel (for non-food things, of course).
For detergent boxes (I use the giant baking soda for laundry additive and the cat box, so I have a lot of these) I use them for smaller-size magazine storage boxes--just cut them to shape (like the ones you can buy in office supply stores). I used to cover them with contact when I taught school and used them to store multiple copies of the same paperbacks (tradebooks) for my students. You could still cover them and give them to your local school for this purpose.
The fronts and backs of the soap boxes also make nice pieces of heavy cardboard for mailing or even for making books (use them for the covers).
Old 04-02-2002, 05:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Used Detergent Bottles

I read somewhere that these are great for storing leftover paint in. Sounded like an awesome idea to me!

Hope this helps!
Old 01-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

With Easter coming you can make little baskets out of the lids by putting a fat ball rolled in bird seed into the lid then attach ribbon or wire for the handle. Paint the lids different colors with acrylic paint or paint on plastic if desired. Write scriptues(with Sharpie marker)on each basket to make them nice decoration for an Easter tree outside and it also feeds the birds.

cut a straight line around just below the handle and paint a pic or whatever on it add a wire handle for a nice homemade Easter basket. Can't paint then decoupage a pic on it. I have seen these with a croceted(can't spell) ruffle around the top, very pretty. I would go the easy way and glue a lace ruffle around it. This is a nice way to make personalized baskets for the kids or grandkids.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

These are all excellant ideas!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:21 PM

For Halloween I used a Tide bottle because it was orange. I cut eyes, nose and mouth from fun foam and glued them on. Then I took fall leaves and glued them to the top. It made a real cute jack-o-lantern.
If I can remember to take photos come next fall I'll post them.
I want to try to do a snowman with a white bottle.