Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 02-01-2003, 06:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Post Looking for easy directions for hooded infant bath towel

I love the hooded towels that you can buy for babies but the prices are out of this world. I have been looking at different sites for instructions on how to make them but the only problem is that I dont understand how to attach the "hood" part to the towel. Im hoping that there is someone here that can explain it to me in very easy layman's terms. (((PLEASE)))). I wont be the one sewing them ( my mother will do the sewing) but I would like to be able to explain the method to her.

Thanks for your help!
Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-08-2003, 01:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have never done them personally, but I knew a person that made them. She took a regular bath towel and sewed a washcloth to one corner for the "hood." I am sorry that may be no help.

Brandie
Old 02-08-2003, 01:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I make hooded baby afghans and the trick is to sew the hood to the corner on the "wrong side of the fabric just up one corner and across the top edge of the hood (not across the part that will go across the baby's forehead). Afterwards, turn the hood right side in so that the seam is on the inside and can't be seen from the top of the hood...hope this helps...you're right...it is hard to explain without a diagram...*sigh*
Old 02-08-2003, 01:25 PM

Baby Bathtowels

[COLOR=blue] Hi,
I made these for my kids years ago. I took a square receiving blanket. Then I used a soft baby washcloth. Fold the washcloth from corner to corner. Place it in a corner of the blanket & sew it on the two outside edges. The blankets & washcloths are usually bound on the edges so you wouldn't have to hem them first.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

This isn't what you are asking for...but I make a bath towel for babies that everyone loves and give them as gifts. Just take a large bathtowel...and some wide seam binding or ribbon to match. Sew the ends of the seam binding/ribbon to one end of the towel...see picture...wear this while bathing the baby to keep yourself dry...and then pick the baby up and lay it on your chest and bring the bottom of the towel up over the baby and snuggle and dry off!
Attached Images

mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 02-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Ro, I really like that towel idea I think that would work really well in the warmer months when you dont have to worry so much about them getting cold.

I feel sooooo dumb about making this!!!

Im printing out this whole page of directions and Im going to try to figure this out. I can understand the square blanket one, but I cant understand how to do it with a rectangle towel. Should I fold the towel into a square shape????

Then everyone wonders why I dont take sewing classes!!

Thanks everyone for bearing with me and explaining this to me. Im sure Ill be back with more questions for ya.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-09-2003, 05:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

baby towels

My mom just made a set of these for me using regular bathtowels. I like the long, rectangular shape because they work so much longer than the small, square ones you can purchase. She just folded a washcloth in half to make a triangle and sewed it into the corner of the towel to make the hood. It's really thick because it's folded but it saves you from having to using seam binding or having edges that ravel. These work well for toddlers too. I hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but I thought this one was neat too for all you crocheter's.

Baby's Hooded Towel by Ellen Fentress 1998
Size: Approx. 32 inches square (before washing)

Materials:

Worsted weight cotton yarn: approx. 22 ounces
(model uses Peaches and Cream in Shaded Pastels)

Crochet Hook Size H (5 mm)
Skill Level: Beginner

Main part of towel:

Row 1: Ch 131, sc in 3rd ch from hk, (ch 1, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch) across, ending with sc in last st, ch 2, turn.

Row 2: Sc in 1st ch-1 sp, (ch 1, sc in next ch-1 sp) across, end with last sc in side of previous row, ch 2, working through both loops of 1st and 2nd ch; ch 2, turn

Repeat row 2 for pattern, until towel is approximately square, finish off and weave in ends.

Hood part of towel:

Row 1: Ch 49, sc in 3rd ch from hk, (ch 1, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch) across, ending with sc in last st, ch 2, turn.

Row 2 (decrease row): Sc in 1st ch-1 sp, (ch 1, sc in next ch-1 sp) across, ending with last sc in last ch-1 sp , ch 2, turn

Row 3: Sc in 1st ch-1 sp, (ch 1, sc in next ch-1 sp) across, end with last sc in side of previous row, ch 2, turn.

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 alternately until you have a triangular shaped piece; without cutting yarn, turn to work across diagonal side of hood; for front edging, (sc in middle of ch 2, sc in ch-1 sp) across; do not cut yarn.

Attaching hood to towel and towel edging:

Place hood in one corner of towel and working through both thicknesses, ch 1, sc in end of 1st row, (ch 1, sk one row, sc in next row) until hood is joined to towel, and all the way around towel for trim, skipping every other row or every other stitch, working 3 sc in all 4 corners; join to beginning and finish off and weave in ends.
Attached Images

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE
Old 02-09-2003, 07:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

BUNNY HOODED TOWEL

Cutting:
1 Using the straight edge of a table as a guide, lay the selvedge of the towelling along this edge. With the tailors' chalk, ruler and tape measure, mark and cut-out a 90cm square.
2 From the leftover towelling cut a 30cm square. Fold the towelling on the diagonal and cut along the fold. One of these triangles will be used to form the hood.
3 Using a bread & butter plate as a template, round each corner of the 90cm square and the top of the hood.
4 Cut two ears from the coloured fabric and two from the towelling (see pattern). The bear and mouse ears also have interfacing to help them stand up.

Machining:
5 Join the bias-binding together, if necessary, to form one length. Fold and iron the binding along the entire length, so that one side is just a little narrower. This makes sewing a lot easier and gives a better finish later on.
6 Ears: Pin the right sides together, including the interfacing if required. Machine around the curved shape, leaving the straight edge unstitched to turn through. Use the foot width of the machine as the seam allowance guide. Clip the edges, turn through and iron flat.
7 For both the mouse and bear ears, fold the raw edge in 1 cm and machine or hand-sew together. The rabbit ears are machined flat across the raw edge while attaching the bias-binding (see step 11).
8 Hood: Stitch along the bias cut to prevent stretching. Starting with the narrower side of the bias-binding, pin the bias edge along the diagonal edge of the hood and using the first bias crease-line as a machine guide, machine together.
9 Fold the wider side of the bias trim around the raw edge and pin just over the previously stitched line. Machine the bias binding flat. Tip: Use the thread colour of the bias binding on the top of the sewing machine and the matching colour of the towelling on the bobbin. This gives an invisible finish.
10 Pin the hood onto a corner of the towel so that the finished edge is diagonally across the corner. Then stitch the hood on the corner. Attach the bias-binding around the towel in the same method used previously. If you are making the rabbit you will need to insert the ears while attaching the bias (see below).
11 Ears: The rabbit ears are attached while sewing the bias. Complete the first stage of the bias then position the rabbit ears 5cm either side of the hood corner (10 cm apart). Complete sewing on the bias.

The bear and mouse ears are hand sewn on the back of the hood, after final completion of the bias trim, as these are too thick for machining and could cause the machine needle to break. Position the bear ears 6cm either side of the corner (12 cm apart) and the mouse ears 4cm either side (8cm apart). While attaching the ears make a fold on the straight edge to create more shape.

(FOR DIAGRAMS OR TO PRINT OUT GO TO http://ourhouse.ninemsn.com.au/ourho...aft/04/428.asp

Materials
1m towelling
4.5m bias binding, 25 mm wide (pink-rabbit, brown-bear, grey-mouse)
Fabric for ears:
Rabbit: pink fabric 40cm square
Bear: brown fabric and interfacing 20cm square
Mouse: grey fabric and interfacing 20cm x 40cm
Matching machine thread
Scissors
Sewing machine
Pins & needle
Ruler
Tailors' chalk
Tape measure
Bread and butter plate